Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Regarding comparative budgets oUr chairman stated on the podcast that club's such as Montrose make around £50,000 from pitch side advertising alone. This is a huge financial advantage already before you tally in pitch hire etc.

Stadium ownership is a huge advantage over stadium rental.

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

This happens in absolutely every industry, no doubt about it. 

13 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I'm surprised you've not heard about this. It happens regularly throughout the leagues.

I was being Facetious. Of course Iv heard of this Iv done it myself, because apparently unlike our manager I wasn’t born so recently that my head is still wet from the womb. 

We've been told that our financial position is bottom end L1 at best to lower-end L2 so I'm not surprised we're struggling in terms of attracting players. I'm just not convinced we're using the meagre resources we do have nearly well enough.

We can still sell pitching advertising at Broadwood. It might not be as lucrative as Montrose but we've barely a few behind the goal and that's it.

The other one always highlighted is clubs having a pub, cafe etc in the ground. Which we now have with the Arrira lounge but made such a mess of it that we barely make any profit from it even when it's full to capacity.

It also doesn't explain why other clubs that don't own their grounds such as Airdrie, Dumbarton and Stirling all are either doing better or have a bigger budget despite having the same constraints.

We've been told that our financial position is bottom end L1 at best to lower-end L2 so I'm not surprised we're struggling in terms of attracting players. I'm just not convinced we're using the meagre resources we do have nearly well enough.
Agreed.

If we lack money, don't waste it on players that aren't good enough to get a game in a poor team.
Docherty, McGrath, Mortimer, McCormack , Andrews.

Maybe I'm too old but I was pretty impressed with the data and intelligence we are trying to use. eg to know how hard a player is training is so much better than asserting that he isn't training well.

My fear is that we have all this 'science' to help us make informed decisions but we still end up relegated.  Maybe getting a winning team on the park is an art & not purely a science.  I'm also alarmed that we signed 2 right backs and we have played midfielders and CHB in that position

Budgets: if it was just about the £ being offered Arbroath would be bottom and Dunfermline near the top...that is not the case

55 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Agreed.

If we lack money, don't waste it on players that aren't good enough to get a game in a poor team.

The point was made last night that Andrew and McGrath were signed as more longer term projects. They may turn out to be useful players, but I’m not sure we’ve got the resources or the time to be using two summer deals like that.

1 hour ago, Jack Burton said:

We can still sell pitching advertising at Broadwood. It might not be as lucrative as Montrose but we've barely a few behind the goal and that's it.

The other one always highlighted is clubs having a pub, cafe etc in the ground. Which we now have with the Arrira lounge but made such a mess of it that we barely make any profit from it even when it's full to capacity.

It also doesn't explain why other clubs that don't own their grounds such as Airdrie, Dumbarton and Stirling all are either doing better or have a bigger budget despite having the same constraints.

Dumbarton own their ground, but point stands with the others. 

The point was made last night that Andrew and McGrath were signed as more longer term projects. They may turn out to be useful players, but I’m not sure we’ve got the resources or the time to be using two summer deals like that.

If they are out on loan and having their wages covered with a view to gaining experience and being part of our squad next season then it’s fair enough and probably not costing us much.

If they are out on loan and having their wages covered with a view to gaining experience and being part of our squad next season then it’s fair enough and probably not costing us much.
However, giving them two year contacts ties up some of the budget for next season. What happens if they don't impress at their loan clubs?

As I stated previously, two year contacts should be only be given to players of proven quality. For example, Goodwillie and Mitchell.

Clyde cannot afford project players.

3 hours ago, Ignoramus said:

No we dont have time or resources to invest in projects.

Ok to give a longer term contract to a DGW or Mitchell who have proven what they can do and are an asset.

Not ok to give a 2 year contract to someone who isnt proven at this level like a McGrath or Kennedy.

9 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Maybe I'm too old but I was pretty impressed with the data and intelligence we are trying to use. eg to know how hard a player is training is so much better than asserting that he isn't training well.

My fear is that we have all this 'science' to help us make informed decisions but we still end up relegated.  Maybe getting a winning team on the park is an art & not purely a science.  I'm also alarmed that we signed 2 right backs and we have played midfielders and CHB in that position

Budgets: if it was just about the £ being offered Arbroath would be bottom and Dunfermline near the top...that is not the case

Think we will have a bigger budget than QoTS and possibly Morton tbh. Probably not too far off Ayr and Raith either.

On 27/10/2021 at 14:55, Ignoramus said:

Aye cos we were in the position of signing players for the future when with 3 weeks to go before matches started we hid 9 players signed. Anyone who believes this explanation is mental

They were not anywhere near up to it

On 27/10/2021 at 13:58, haufdaft said:

Agreed.

Now, Now

Remember DLs Sage words about the above

Docherty "....qualities he will bring...."

McGrath "....natural goal scorer....knows where the goals are.....technical ability, vision and creativity....adding something different in attack"

Mortimer "....lot of pace and energy....neutralise the wide threats of the opposition all day long.....good technical ability.....make things happen.....make a penetrating pass..cause the opposition problems.....make good deliveries into the box."

Andrews "....has great potential...."

.....yeah i know......total laughable now.

Dont know which comments are most deluded but think is Mortimer.

Edited by Bullyweeno1

Now, Now
McGrath "....natural goal scorer....knows where the goals are.....technical ability, vision and creativity....adding something different in attack"
Mortimer "....lot of pace and energy....neutralise the wide threats of the opposition all day long.....good technical ability.....make things happen.....make a penetrating pass..cause the opposition problems.....make good deliveries into the box."
My favourite is the Robert Jones blurb on signing

"He causes defenders significant problems and whilst he doesn’t fall into the category of a prolific scorer, what he does incredibly well is draw defenders to open up space for the other forwards and midfield runners to hurt the opposition. His link play and ability to hold the ball whilst we shape an attack is very good. He also brings height to set plays in both boxes. He fits the bill for what we are looking for to add another dimension to our forward play and we look forward to his contribution in the famous Clyde jersey this season."

43 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

My favourite is the Robert Jones blurb on signing

"He causes defenders significant problems and whilst he doesn’t fall into the category of a prolific scorer, what he does incredibly well is draw defenders to open up space for the other forwards and midfield runners to hurt the opposition. His link play and ability to hold the ball whilst we shape an attack is very good. He also brings height to set plays in both boxes. He fits the bill for what we are looking for to add another dimension to our forward play and we look forward to his contribution in the famous Clyde jersey this season."

We have a 14 man squad at best

most of those are league 2 or below

but old firm loaners coming in at window but will that no be too late

top 4 will be QP, Airdrie, Cove and Montrose

mid table and safe will be Alloa, Peterhead and Falkirk

We are fighting it out with East Fife and Dumbarton to win 8th spot

8 points of the top end play offs now having been urged to think positively that we are only a few points off.......2 weeks later doesnt look so good.

I heard on the podcast  that Goodie is expected to score over 40 goals according to one presenter and between 26 and 27 from some others.

We all want success, but really. I wid be interested to know how many times the poor guy even touched the ball in the last 2 games.

Falkirk on saturday who didn't look bad against Peterhead last week, Dumbarton away and then the money men of the south side in the west end.....how many points can we expect before the real test East Fife visiting Cumbernauld? I'd say 2 and that s a draw tomorrow and a draw next week.

By the time the old firm give us their unwanted lowland league squad members January it could very well be too late.

1 hour ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Now, Now

These just look like direct quotes from the Scouting reports Corr was talking about at the meeting. 

Which begs the question; despite what Danny says, did he actually watch these guys play before wasting the money on all of them?

Just now, FREDDYFRY said:

These just look like direct quotes from the Scouting reports Corr was talking about at the meeting. 

Which begs the question; despite what Danny says, did he actually watch these guys play before wasting the money on all of them?

couldnae make the meeting so thanks to everyone for posting some notes.

Star of the show....." would you like to say anything as head of the football department Graham" 

"No" apparently was the response. That's just wrong

100% that’s what happened. Danny answered a question about recruitment at the end. Diamond who was sitting at the “top Table” was asked; “anything to add?” He simply said “No!”

Quite unbelievable, shocking lack of leadership on his part, it was almost like he had taken the huff that there was criticism voiced. Basically left Lennon to face the crowd so to speak. Disgrace