Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

9 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Can someone tell me what the strengths of Robert Jones are?

I'm genuinely at a loss to what he brings.

He's a big man who doesn't win headers, doesn't hold up the ball, doesn't slam into defenders, doesn't pressure the opposition defence, isn't particularly fast.

Am I wrong? Do people that understand football better than me identify talents that I don't see?

I think you will probably find that most Clyde fans will agree that Jones is one of the worst signed players they can think of

I am struggling to think of a player who is worse

15 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

They've had three months now to "fix" the catalogue of glaring tactics, selection and personnel-based sins that were evident to many Clyde fans as soon as we were allowed back in a stadium. There's been little evidence of much changing and Danny's post-match comments are extremely familiar and foreboding; he's all out of ideas, because he's tied his own hands behind his back with utterly risible recruitment.

Basically you have summed up everything better than I could

We will be thankful for DL getting us promoted but each season since we have came up has been worse than  the one before

The real problem is the inability to spot a player.  Other than Mitchell and Chris Johnston (who I was excited about us signing but for whatever reason didn’t work out) none of the signings in the last 3 years have been any good

The only two players we have who are L1 level are DGW and Cuddihy.

I don’t doubt that DL is a good guy.  However doesn’t really bother me if he is good guy or not.

His sole remit is to get a winning team on the park and ideally have them playing good football neither which he can achieve with this squad that he has assembled

It would be good to know if the squad was all his first picks or did he have other options that for whatever reason turned him down.

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

Can someone tell me what the strengths of Robert Jones are?

I'm genuinely at a loss to what he brings.

He's a big man who doesn't win headers, doesn't hold up the ball, doesn't slam into defenders, doesn't pressure the opposition defence, isn't particularly fast.

Am I wrong? Do people that understand football better than me identify talents that I don't see?

I'm not one to throw around accusations of players lacking effort (a common slight thrown at teams who actually are just not good enough) but along with Chris Johnston, this guy is as bad as we've seen in terms of being lazy and stealing a wage. It was an insult to our entire support bringing him on last week with us already being embarrassed at home. If he can bother himself just once to get in front of a defender then he can take home a paycheque. 

Danny Lennon undeniably has a lot of credit in the bank and I'd love him to turn it around. For his own sake, I wanted him to leave after last season; you could see with the way he was talking (rambling on about plan Bs and being more streetwise) that we were going away from the type of side he should be managing. His efforts to play that way have been diabolical.

Unfortunately, the most important thing that a manager needs at this level is good recruitment, particularly with the constant turnover of players every summer and with a limited budget. Apart from Parry, the only undoubted L1 players that we have were already here when Danny Lennon arrived. There's always signings that don't work out for whatever reason but some of these guys (Jones) were atrocious against Clyde last season, others (Rumsby, Nicoll, Munro) have played a number of games for Clyde. It's inexcusable that these players have contracts.

Whilst it would be disappointing to go back to Cowdenbeath and the likes, you're a fantasist if you don't accept relegation as a potential hazard for us at this level. A relegation battle in itself doesn't overly bother me. However, the matches are almost unwatchable from a Clyde point of view. I've left half our games this season feeling like I've not actually been at a game. Aside from Cunningham's brace at East Fife, since the 7th of August, nobody has scored a goal for Clyde except Goodwillie! How many have even had an effort on goal? We change style of play week to week, personnel in the team week to week. No wonder there's no cohesion.

The big worry for me is that I'd suggest that there's a very real danger that if we go down, we will seriously struggle in L2. We're building a whole new team again and that is fraught with danger.

Yesterday’s starting eleven didn’t fill me with much confidence. Which did include a welcome return for Ally Love. I think the point raised above about this side potentially struggling in League 2 is entirely plausible.

We were always going to be up against it this season. Some delusional fans thought top 4 was realistic. Also the point about settling for ninth, while underwhelming maybe that is the level we are?

The fans deserve better than what is on show. 

Edited by TheBigGuy

13 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

I think you will probably find that most Clyde fans will agree that Jones is one of the worst signed players they can think of

I am struggling to think of a player who is worse

I understand Rob Jones hasn’t set the heather alight, and he’s a frustrating player but this is a comment out of frustration and anger. I can think of plenty players off the top of my head worse than him and he isn’t even the worst player we have signed this season. Clyde fans love a hyperbole, drama and a scapegoat

4 hours ago, TheBigGuy said:

Yesterday’s starting eleven didn’t fill me with much confidence. Which did include a welcome return for Ally Love. I think the point raised above about this side potentially struggling in League 2 is entirely plausible.

I’d argue that Ally Love comes into the category of not good enough also. Yes good work rate and effort but he not certainly now good enough quality  for L1 I’m afraid. Not singling him out far from it but being realistic. 
we have 3 and 3 players only who are. 

The sad thing is that 95% of us said that after the raft of signings were announced in August. How as just supporters and not “professionals” did we know and not Lennon, Moore, Diamond and Corr. It’s quite unbelievable!

I’m in the camp that Danny has about 3-4 games to save his job. I love Danny and he has a way with fans and players and has all the right ideas however I feel his time as a manager has came to an end. Think he would be a fantastic assistant or coach to someone in the championship or premier league. 

in terms of recruitment my understanding is that Danny has final say on who comes into the club, I’d like to know who was identified and why they weren’t picked. We assume the recruitment teams identified players were signed, how do we know they didn’t present Danny with plenty of options and he consistently picked incorrectly or didn’t want to use them. Hopefully Tuesday clears that up. 

in terms of who can come in? I’m not sure because you don’t know who is available until you look. Danny’s appointment shocked us. Whoever comes in can’t be judged until next year, because this team is an absolute mess, and in its current state as good as relegated. We need basically an entire new team at this stage. 

I understand Rob Jones hasn’t set the heather alight, and he’s a frustrating player but this is a comment out of frustration and anger. I can think of plenty players off the top of my head worse than him and he isn’t even the worst player we have signed this season. Clyde fans love a hyperbole, drama and a scapegoat

I’m going to stop you right there, he is fucking awful. He looks like he has never played a game of football before. Just because we have signed a load of other dross doesn’t take anything away from this.

Where as some of the other guys were more of an unknown we knew all too well that Jones was awful. We signed him to ‘provide us with a plan b’. What exactly is plan b then? Because he is a waste of a jersey.

34 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

All about opinions, can’t think of many forwards we have had as ineffective as him

Just now, Bullyweeno1 said:

All about opinions, can’t think of many forwards we have had as ineffective as him

In the last decade we have had 2 good forwards that come to mind- Goodie and Peso. 

Some decent ones considering the level we were at - Gormley, Watt done a job, McCluskey?

and just tons and tons of absoloute no mark jobbers

We have been truly truly served up utter utter utter garbage the last 10-12 years 

15 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

I’m going to stop you right there, he is fucking awful. He looks like he has never played a game of football before. Just because we have signed a load of other dross doesn’t take anything away from this.

The post I was replying to WAS about dross we had signed but, with the poster implying Jones was maybe the worst player we had EVER signed so it’s relevant. Especially considering as I said the big man isn’t even the worst player we have signed THIS season. Strikers and Keepers get judged very differently to other positions because of the job they do. 

He was signed as a target man. Plan B is to shell balls into the box for him to win. A job he isn’t good at. As has been said multiple times our recruitment is abhorrent. 

Edited by Ocelot1877

1 hour ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I’d argue that Ally Love comes into the category of not good enough also. Yes good work rate and effort but he not certainly now good enough quality  for L1 I’m afraid. Not singling him out far from it but being realistic. 
we have 3 and 3 players only who are. 

The sad thing is that 95% of us said that after the raft of signings were announced in August. How as just supporters and not “professionals” did we know and not Lennon, Moore, Diamond and Corr. It’s quite unbelievable!

It all comes back to basic question - how many of the players we have signed were first picks and how many players did we put offers in to thinking we had a realistic chance of getting who turned us down.

If all players were 1st choice for their position then that would be worrying

But if they were the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even lower choice on the list for their position then basically means we didn’t have the budget to compete

You cant go driving in the F1 Grand Prix driving a mini thinking you have the chance to compete

Edited by Bullyweeno1

4 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

The post I was replying to WAS about dross we had signed but, with the poster implying Jones was maybe the worst player we had EVER signed so it’s relevant. Especially considering as I said the big man isn’t even the worst player we have signed THIS season. Strikers and Keepers get judged very differently to other positions because of the job they do. 

Ok you can argue maybe not the worst but he sure is one of the top contenders

We knew he wasn’t going to score goals - as he only scored one last year

But DL said was signed to give us a plan B

Still to see what that plan B he was signed bring to the table

I didn’t really know much about him before he signed but in his first game of the season it was clear to see that he isn’t any good.

Since everyone is talking about it. If I were to put my hand on my heart I’d rate our team as follows. Some of the bench warmers and young guys like Cassidy etc not judged

Good enough to start in League one and beyond- Goodwillie, Parry

Can do a job starting in league 1 if needed-Gomis ( when complemented with players and a system where he can play to his strengths), Cuddihy, Elsdon

Squad player for league 1- Ally Love, Ross Cunningham.

League 2 starter- Bradley Hurst. Adam Livingstone?

Mid table League 2- Balatoni, Rumsby, Munro? Splaine? Tade?

League 2 Relegation fodder- Page, Kennedy, Mortimer

Lowland League/ West of Scotland league- Everyone else

Unfortunately we are where we are and have the squad of players that we have

I don’t think there will be much change to that squad come January as to get players in we need to get players out and can’t see many teams lining up to signing any of ours other than the 2 or 3 exceptions

Therefore what is plan to survive the season and secure at least 9th place

We cant tighten up at the back as we look like losing at least 2 goals each game

We can’t expect goodie to score 2 goals each game which is what we need to score to realistically win a game

I don’t see us getting much if anything from the next 3 games

I don’t have the answers and unfortunately don’t DL does either

If these guys weren’t first choice signings (which I hope they weren’t) then why come out with pish like this:

3a0a30c095a3889c35aaaecbb4e80c48.jpg
We are crying out for a RB and Mortimer can’t get near the team. Lennons comments would have you thinking we signed the next Cafu.

There are other belters as well, such as how well coached and technically able Paul ‘can’t take a throw in’ Kennedy is.

Marky Munro described as ‘a very very good defender’.

Just laughable comments to justify the signing of utter dross.

5 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Since everyone is talking about it. If I were to put my hand on my heart I’d rate our team as follows. Some of the bench warmers and young guys like Cassidy etc not judged

Good enough to start in League one and beyond- Goodwillie, Parry

Can do a job starting in league 1 if needed-Gomis ( when complemented with players and a system where he can play to his strengths), Cuddihy, Elsdon

Squad player for league 1- Ally Love, Ross Cunningham.

League 2 starter- Bradley Hurst. Adam Livingstone?

Mid table League 2- Balatoni, Rumsby, Munro? Splaine? Tade?

League 2 Relegation fodder- Page, Kennedy, Mortimer

Lowland League/ West of Scotland league- Everyone else

Yeah wouldn’t disagree with what you say

Unfortunately you only have 5 starting at L1 level so basically 75% of the squad is L2 or below which is were we will be next year

5 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Ok you can argue maybe not the worst but he sure is one of the top contenders

We knew he wasn’t going to score goals - as he only scored one last year

But DL said was signed to give us a plan B

Still to see what that plan B he was signed bring to the table

I didn’t really know much about him before he signed but in his first game of the season it was clear to see that he isn’t any good.

At the end of the day if I’m being brutally honest, all this is 100% down to Danny Lennon. Having a go at the players etc is understandable but let’s be honest it’s really really really harsh and unfair, Danny has signed these guys and they aren’t good enough, and for them to be put in a position where the are getting abused every week because they are way way out their depths is pretty grim. Danny has put them in this position and to me that is unforgivable and he has a lot to answer to. 

The only reason I’d say Jones isn’t as bad as the others over the years is because when he came in we expected this, at least he tries and seems to want to succeed, guys like Sean Higgins etc didn’t even do that. 

I genuinely feel really really bad for the team this year because they have been set up to fail from the go. Other years there have been guys that had done well or had bags of experience under their belt and didn’t show up and they get shouts etc and it ok in a way. The team this year, I just feel so much empathy for them