Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

I miss the days when we were signing jobbers under Jim Duffy and there was no fanfare, only a single news article on the website announcing the signings of about six players with a single line on each of them.

FWIW I thought Jones was panned a bit harshly by Dumbarton fans last season, but I really don't see the point in this signing. He will offer us a plan B, but we should be putting every penny into trying to recruit whatever quality we can muster at the moment.

Well some people (not me) are constantly crying out for us to sign a target man.

To be fair, I don't think he's actually an awful signing. It's just that we needed another 2 or 3 real quality signings before adding players like Jones to complete a squad.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

2 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

That can't be it, there simply must be another one. I can't be made to feel like this. Not today. Cove have just signed Iain Vigurs! Please just give us someone who we know is good. I'm desperate.

That's a belter of a signing for them. They'll be pushing the full-time teams all the way again.

14 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

I miss the days when we were signing jobbers under Jim Duffy and there was no fanfare, only a single news article on the website announcing the signings of about six players with a single line on each of them.

FWIW I thought Jones was panned a bit harshly by Dumbarton fans last season, but I really don't see the point in this signing. He will offer us a plan B, but we should be putting every penny into trying to recruit whatever quality we can muster at the moment.

He really, really wasn’t. 

One of the worst players I’ve ever seen in a Sons shirt. He does not look like a footballer.

That being said, I am looking forward to his hat trick against us.

Edited by FifeSons

He really, really wasn’t. 
One of, if not the, worst players I’ve ever seen in a Sons shirt. He does not look like a footballer.
Virtually every time I saw him play, he did a decent job of getting you up the park despite his clear technical limitations. I can understand why he'd be a figure of derision but if used properly and with better players around them, players of his ilk can have some value. Dumbarton weren't exactly blessed with half decent forward players who could feed off him last season, which will have magnified his shortcomings too.

This summer's business has been almost entirely disgraceful. I feel dirty celebrating that win over East Fife now. A League 2 club from top to bottom, no feel good factor around the place.

Rumsby, Mortimer and Jones instead of McNiff, Bain and Syvertsen? We are actually worse than last year's shambles. It's embarrassing to see how much we have slumped since promotion.

What is more, we are going to be horrific to watch. The minute that managers start changing their gameplay then there's trouble afoot.

I don't think it necessarily matters that we sign players who'll be in and out of the team before signing the sort of players who're obviously good enough to be in every week. It only that matters that we do end up with a strong bunch. That said, the order of things could be an indication that we're being outfoxed in the transfer market which wouldn't bode well.

On Jones, I am and always will be one of those supporters who thinks it's better to have a big forward than not. For certain games it just pays to have the option of a target player if a team is stopping you getting up the pitch and into their half otherwise.

Having said that, I have to admit I already confided in one fellow supporter that I would not be keen on signing Jones. That is, before I knew we were considering it. I've seen him for Stranraer and Dumbarton. And once for Stranraer against Dumbarton at the rock as it happens. He's not very mobile. He takes a long time to release the ball. And his target man game just generally isn't there. He usually drops off or drifts toward the touchlines to receive it. Rather than keep touch tight with a defender and pick it out of the sky or knock it on.

On the other hand, the big thing with another forward, particularly one with Jones' presence is that if he partners David Goodwillie and we've got players bombing forward beyond him, all things Dumbarton didn't have... Maybe... Just maybe... We could get a good thing going because of the attention he'll draw. His signing interests me much more than any other insofar as it shows that Lennon is open to changing things up a little style wise. I regard that as wise on his part but would hang a question mark over Jones' ability. It's not a big lad with a track record like John Gemmell or Mark McGuigan we're getting. It's a player who's relatively new to the senior game and doesn't have a whole lot to recommend him.

Edited by Clydeside
Typo

I think one of the issues with Jones was although he isn’t a prolific goalscorer, he missed some absolute sitters that a forward shouldn’t be missing regardless of their playing style.  He’s also prone to some terrible touches but I do think his hold up play can be decent. 

He’s guaranteed a goal against us at least so there’s that. Definitely don’t think he’s the worst option if you’re wanting to play long ball at times.

3 minutes ago, David W said:

The minute that managers start changing their gameplay then there's trouble afoot.

It doesn't always. Barry Ferguson made us more direct in his penultimate season and we benefitted from that. Rangers gameplay was radically different in Walter Smith's two spells at Rangers but in both cases successful. And Callum Davidson made some quick ideological aboutfaces in the early part of his time as St Johnstone manager. Those led to the most successful season in their history in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Clydeside said:

It doesn't always. Barry Ferguson made us more direct in his penultimate season and we benefitted from that. Rangers gameplay was radically different in Walter Smith's two spells at Rangers but in both cases successful. And Callum Davidson made some quick ideological aboutfaces in the early part of his time as St Johnstone manager. Those led to the most successful season in their history in my opinion.

Please don't mention R*ngers in this thread

2 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Assuming this is a laugh of desperation brought on by the fact that with the signing of Robert Jones, Dumbarton FC are surely doomed to be relegated.

In all seriousness, he might do better playing with a partner of Goodwillie's quality but I'm astonished another club in this division has taken him. He's done nothing at 3 clubs in this division now. 

Robert Jones, Robert Jones, Robert Jones. What can you say about the big man?

I wouldn't say he's the worst player I've ever seen at Dumbarton. He had his days where he could be a handful for defenders; he bullied Aberdeen in the cup, winning plenty of physical battles and generally unnerving Andy Considine and Tommy Hoban a fair bit. Unnerved Falkirk at TFS and had a tremendous debut against East Fife. He put in a really good shift against them in our 2-1 win at the Rock a few months back too.

All that being said, I didn't think he was a League One player. He looked like a guy who would probably be a good asset in the Lowland League, but League One looked a bit of a stretch for him. If you've signed him to chuck on with 20 minutes to go as a plan B then he's not the worst addition in the world (although I'd say he was probably like a slower, less aerially dominant Tom Lang in that role). But if you've signed him to play alongside Goodwillie then it's bizarre.

He puts in a power of work and he never hides. But his touch is poor, he isn't great in the air for such a big lad, he's slow and he never (and I mean never) looks like scoring. In fact I can't remember seeing a striker in all my time supporting the Sons who looked less like scoring. Obviously that isn't the kind of player he is but, as touched on above, even when he found himself in a good position for us he looked very uncomfortable. His record of one goal in his last 36 games kind of speaks for itself in that regard.

I'm really surprised he's got himself another League One gig, but good luck to him. Strikers are a weird bunch and maybe working alongside a player of the calibre of David Goodwillie, and under a different manager who plays more adventurous football, will suit him. He'll definitely score against us if nothing else!

14 minutes ago, David W said:

Rumsby, Mortimer and Jones instead of McNiff, Bain and Syvertsen? We are actually worse than last year's shambles. It's embarrassing to see how much we have slumped since promotion.

Not sure I agree here.

Balatoni is an upgrade on McNiff, even if only for the fact that he caved and shaved what was left of his barnet off years ago.

Bain was rubbish for us. I wanted him to be good and he looked a player before but it didn't work out. Mortimer likely won't be any worse.

Syvertsen I'll admit was superb *when he played*, which was essentially never because he was so injury prone, so comparing Jones to him is pretty moot.