Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Guest andyp1301
6 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

If only we could marry the transfer activity of Barry Ferguson to the coaching of Danny Lennon. Strong, proactive recruitment doesn't really seem to be our thing these days, sadly.

I would be almost convinced we would have been in for Grant - especially as it transpires the biggest perceived barrier, full time football is not an issue. He's dropped himself back to the basement league...lives in Dunblane - must fancy walking to work.......a very strange turn of events....especially if he turned us down after the way he was revered by our fans.

It's hard to get fully annoyed about this until we know who we're signing. Stirling brought in a number of players last summer who would have been an improvement on our team, so they're definitely throwing a bit extra cash about.

Either way, it certainly piles extra pressure and expectation onto a lot of people though.

Guest andyp1301
1 hour ago, the_bully_wee said:

If only we could marry the transfer activity of Barry Ferguson to the coaching of Danny Lennon. Strong, proactive recruitment doesn't really seem to be our thing these days, sadly.

However did Barry manage it?

During the roughly 2-year spell throughout which we racked up £170k of debt, our recruitment in general wasn't really particularly proactive in the way that Ferguson's was. The fact that the club (and presumably Danny too) felt it necessary to appoint a recruitment team kind of points to the conclusion that he ain't so hot when it comes to identifying players or getting them in the door. That and his past signing record, of course. Money is obviously a factor, but I don't think it is the only one. We've heard nothing about our recruitment team in yonks, so hopefully that's because they've been scouring the leagues for plenty of new and exciting additions!

Guest andyp1301
1 minute ago, the_bully_wee said:
21 minutes ago, andyp1301 said:

During the roughly 2-year spell throughout which we racked up £170k of debt, our recruitment in general wasn't really particularly proactive in the way that Ferguson's was. The fact that the club (and presumably Danny too) felt it necessary to appoint a recruitment team kind of points to the conclusion that he ain't so hot when it comes to identifying players or getting them in the door. That and his past signing record, of course. Money is obviously a factor, but I don't think it is the only one. We've heard nothing about our recruitment team in yonks, so hopefully that's because they've been scouring the leagues for plenty of new and exciting additions!

You think Danny was actively involved in putting a recruitment team in place? Doubtful. And the racking up of debts? I think you need an accountant to explain that one to you, and it's not down to recruitment that is for sure.

You think Danny was actively involved in putting a recruitment team in place? Doubtful. And the racking up of debts? I think you need an accountant to explain that one to you, and it's not down to recruitment that is for sure.
I'm sure the idea at the very least had his blessing; at no point did I say he was "actively involved", but you knew that already of course. Do feel free to go ahead and explain that debt yourself since you seem to be so well-informed!

That is disappointing that he dropped back to league 2. Either stirling are yet another club with money to throw about we dont or he didnt want to come back. Surely he should've been a highlighted target.

Diamond and PJ need to help Lennon get it right this summer or we will be in a dog fight again

I'm sure the idea at the very least had his blessing; at no point did I say he was "actively involved", but you knew that already of course. Do feel free to go ahead and explain that debt yourself since you seem to be so well-informed!
At the time the club stated "Danny was informed and involved throughout, agreeing the remit of the role together (with the board)".

Without knowing the financial situation of various clubs before or during the pandemic it’s difficult to know what is available. If all the various handouts and grants are considered  some clubs could have been getting up to the equivalent of two seasons gate receipts plus whatever revenue they had from season ticket sales. Obviously still costs to cover but generally players and staff were on furlough for a fair part of the last 14 months.

Guest andyp1301
2 hours ago, haufdaft said:
2 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

At the time the club stated "Danny was informed and involved throughout, agreeing the remit of the role together (with the board)".

I have no need or desire to explain it.

As good a player as he is, having Grant back would probably have meant playing a certain way. At least if he was to be a starter. For that reason, I'm not too bothered about him going to Stirling. Nor am I surprised. Had he Tom Lang's or even David Goodwillie's physical attributes he could be an SPL player. As it is, to really stand out, he probably needs to be playing in slower tempo matches with a team that's not on the ropes for long spells. A league two season with Stirling could be a good option. Particularly as he doesn't seem to have full-time ambitions.

On the playing a certain way point. I don't think we'll get out of this league other than by the back door if we try to replicate the shape and system that got us up. That is, the out from the back approach with one up top and a five man midfield. It would require some really extraordinary signings to work. Goodwillie isn't as sprightly as he was two years ago. Rankin, McStay and Grant were an unusually good footballing three. And then you had the likes of Lang, Boyle, Cogill, Syvertsen and Banks. The technical skill, flair and speed which that bunch had was really out of market for league two. And even then, remember, we came second to Peterhead who had the ability to be more direct than us through players like McAllister and McLean. Over the piece I thought that was the telling factor, albeit the margin was small.

It's usually cheaper to get players who're a bit limited technically but who're decent athletes and good team players. I think if we're as cash strapped as is rumoured, we should be going down the 'big team' route, with the odd bit of star quality here and there if we can find it. That is, so we don't wind up like Dumbarton. But we've already got David Goodwillie so that couldn't happen, happily.

Edited by Clydeside
Typo