Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Given that in the last year we have had:
2700 v Annan.
2400 v Falkirk.
1800 v Falkirk.
Not to mention a general increase in attendances in League 1 (1000+ v Airdrie/Raith).
Shares of:
2200 v Bonnyrigg
2400 v Partick
7500 v Celtic.
TV money, cup prize money from two good cup runs. 
£16000 raised from donations in the past couple of months.
There's also the statement from earlier in the lockdown that "we will lose less money in the final three months of the financial year by not playing our final eight fixtures".
Let's be honest; we didn't exactly go out and sign particularly extravagant players last summer; players from Annan, Stirling, EKFC.
In January we went out and signed four players, and gave multi-year extensions to two other players. We've just added a sporting director.
Whilst appreciating the uncertainty of next season and the problems that may cause in the future, I'm wondering what on Earth is going on that we've got into this state again.

Agreed.

You can’t just chuck out a line that we will have one of the lowest budgets in senior football without some explanation. Especially given we have just had the biggest crowds this season in over 10 years.

How are we so far up shitcreek again?

Agreed.

You can’t just chuck out a line that we will have one of the lowest budgets in senior football without some explanation. Especially given we have just had the biggest crowds this season in over 10 years.

How are we so far up shitcreek again?
The answer to this question can be yours for the low, low price of £40 per annum and we'll also throw-in which ex-directors or managers are taking us to court free of charge.

In happier news, happy 6th anniversary of Barry Ferguson's appointment, everyone! At times like these I yearn for the days of craning my neck and praying that JP McGovern and Scott Linton could pick up a second ball and create something.

I’m sure Barry is having a double celebration, you going bust and Kelty taking your place.

4 minutes ago, luggy said:

I’m sure Barry is having a double celebration, you going bust and Kelty taking your place.

I'm not sure why Barry would have an axe to grind with Clyde when he objectively failed miserably throughout his time at charge of the club. Unless we get relegated twice, I really can't see Kelty taking up a place in the third tier while he's in charge. Actually seemed like an alright guy at times, contrary to the wider perception of him when he first arrived, but not a good football manager by any stretch of the imagination.

34 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Are we being "prepared" for a season long hibernation?

Certainly seems to be a very possible scenario from what is being said.

I take the message to be that we need to take a reality check and be prepared for difficult times ahead. There will be clubs in all the leagues in similar or worse financial  positions than us so it is perfectly feasible that some may not be able to compete. The present uncertainties make planning impossible and all the reconstruction nonsense is only making matters worse.

Time to throw whatever financial support we can at the Club and cross our fingers crossed for a.workable starting date.

Edited by LiviClyde

While communications since the onset of the pandemic have painted far-from-rosy pictures, this one is the most stark yet and far more ominous in its detail and message. Is there something going on in the background which has changed things in the last few weeks, or were initial estimations about the impact this entire situation will have wide of the mark?
Serious questions have to be asked about the running of the club, particularly in these last few years. Strides made on the pitch - strides which have been expected of the club for a decade now - seem to be being framed as "ambition", when the reality is that we have quite clearly spent beyond some way beyond our means to become a middling League One club. You cannot gamble on a fairly fixed-number fanbase, which has historically given a huge amount of relative time and resource to prop up the club's financial performance, further increasing their level of financial commitment to allow the club to operate at a different level. True ambition would be launching initiatives which source external outcome, though I will cede that this is something far easier said than done. To complicate this, you've got our ongoing employment of Goodwillie and Love who, while I don't personally disagree with having at the club, have undeniably damaged the club's standing in the game and will undoubtedly act as a pretty large dissuasion when it comes to sponsorship from businesses and individuals.
Achieving such organic growth as a club at our level is always going to be extremely difficult when you've no assets - training equipment totalling less than £1000 was, I believe, all we had on the last balance sheet I looked at a few years ago - but flinging money at improving the club's league standing in the short-term and hoping to get lucky somehow is utter lunacy. Expecting that the club's fanbase would naturally rocket up, or that existing fans would dig even deeper into their pockets, is arguably even worse.

2569eb5597fe9f2995ee5c94df0ea270.jpg&key=89bc99b0511ddb1492dc7d9056137482b18daa8931229d79d8965247279d5263
Is NI still fucking us over perhaps? Who'd have thought that would happen?

13 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

I'm not sure why Barry would have an axe to grind with Clyde when he objectively failed miserably throughout his time at charge of the club. Unless we get relegated twice, I really can't see Kelty taking up a place in the third tier while he's in charge. Actually seemed like an alright guy at times, contrary to the wider perception of him when he first arrived, but not a good football manager by any stretch of the imagination.

Barry 100% tried his hardest at the club, I don't think anyone can deny him that. It's just a) he was a horrible manager and b) made some amount of awful signings (see below)

Clyde FC on Twitter: "Barry Ferguson with new signings Stephen O ...

Clyde FC on Twitter: "NEW SIGNINGS: Scott Durie, David Sinclair ...

Three Teenagers Join Squad | 22 Jul 2016 | News | Official Mobile ...

If it's as bad as John is making out then there is a lot to be answered to the fan owners. We have a right to know
That'll be fun as how many are signing up? Isn't that what the statement is trying to encourage? Pay £10 to £50 a month for the square root of not much which doesn't include a season ticket but five prize draws and a weekly entry to the fund at the top end. [emoji848]

Just a wee ned. True colours shown at Race Night.

8 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

To be fair, the board have been pretty consistent throughout in saying that we’re not in immediate danger but we’re certainly skint budget wise.

Things sound bleak and this is written after the 50k Anderson money as well..........  I have queried on another thread,  over the last 4 months what outgoings has there been, not just Clyde all clubs.   All Wages paid,  no rent or rates, deferred tax, no travelling or training expenses,, with all those savings that has surely made up the  shortfall for the remaining games that were cancelled..  Now 50 k falling into your lap from the money tree...........

Things sound bleak and this is written after the 50k Anderson money as well..........  I have queried on another thread,  over the last 4 months what outgoings has there been, not just Clyde all clubs.   All Wages paid,  no rent or rates, deferred tax, no travelling or training expenses,, with all those savings that has surely made up the  shortfall for the remaining games that were cancelled..  Now 50 k falling into your lap from the money tree...........

Not all outgoings will have stopped but there is no income coming in other than donations and the last prize money payment.

The furlough scheme covers 80% of wages, the club are still paying the other 20%.

I have no idea if NLC will still be charging rent as payments are spread throughout the year. Loan and mortgage payments will still be paid by clubs and as you said the tax is deferred it is still going to have to be paid at a later date.

There is conditions on what the £50k can be used for. I don't think you can just use for the playing budget.

Surely yous aren't being charged rent on the stadium if it's closed due to this, they can surely claim money for it as it is a business to be fair.

How can you be making such a loss each year and needing so much funding if you don't own the stadium and posting decent crowds. 

The players must be on substantial wages if thats happening and to say that without funding they would be fighting Relegation play off without the funding. 

What's actually going on? 

33 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

Surely yous aren't being charged rent on the stadium if it's closed due to this, they can surely claim money for it as it is a business to be fair.

How can you be making such a loss each year and needing so much funding if you don't own the stadium and posting decent crowds. 

The players must be on substantial wages if thats happening and to say that without funding they would be fighting Relegation play off without the funding. 

What's actually going on? 

That’s the most frustrating part, nobody knows what’s going on. Goodwillie aside (and even then I think part of his wage is handled externally) we’re hardly paying a team of world beaters. We got promoted from League Two playing McNiff at LB and Rumsby at CB.