Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Nonsense? Wakey wakey mate! We’ve been conceding three for fun as standard lately.

Now they really, really, REALLY shouldn’t be, but that’s very much where we find ourselves at present, and let’s not pretend that Falkirk are just any other team. We know their calibre, and they are still fresh from scudding Dumbarton for six, who somehow appear to be in less disarray than ourselves. Do you honestly believe the fact they are playing at fortress Broadwood will hinder them in any way? And that’s kindly forgetting about our 5 goals beasting from Raith, and the atmosphere that a sizeable away crowd will generate which few of our team will have any experience of.

We play defensively and they will shred us apart with ease, we play “attacking” and they will absolutely rag doll us before we tire double quick.

I’m not denying at present they are likely to rock up and take a few of us at the moment but 10?

Nonsense? Wakey wakey mate! We’ve been conceding three for fun as standard lately.

Now they really, really, REALLY shouldn’t be, but that’s very much where we find ourselves at present, and let’s not pretend that Falkirk are just any other team. We know their calibre, and they are still fresh from scudding Dumbarton for six, who somehow appear to be in less disarray than ourselves. Do you honestly believe the fact they are playing at fortress Broadwood will hinder them in any way? And that’s kindly forgetting about our 5 goals beasting from Raith, and the atmosphere that a sizeable away crowd will generate which few of our team will have any experience of.

We play defensively and they will shred us apart with ease, we play “attacking” and they will absolutely rag doll us before we tire double quick.

This the same Falkirk that laboured to a 2-1 home win against Montrose?

11 minutes ago, Adolfo Rios said:

I’m not denying at present they are likely to rock up and take a few of us at the moment but 10?

Exaggerating slightly to make the point I’d assume with the double figures comment- but it does not lessen the fact that we ARE struggling badly to prevent balls coming into our box from wide positions and equally struggling to  defend those deliveries. I  have only seen one poster saying it’s not the defence at fault, the midfield just as culpable- and anyway all that’s needed is more fans to turn up next week and sing more..... if only it that were that simple!

i have a positive feeling that we’ll be lining up next week with a different looking back 4- i’m sure Danny needs no further telling that this is not working and despite “ slow improvement” major surgery is required immediately to prevent a massive gap emerging between us and the teams aiming for 4th or better.

Really don't understand Lennon pushing McNiff so far up the pitch when we're so poor defensively. He's offering nothing there offensively.

Especially when it goalkeeper's distribution is so poor.

I haven't seen any improvement defensively since the start of the season.

I'm very worried.

29 minutes ago, Clydeontheup said:

Back to the doctors for whomever thinks we’ll lose 10 goals against Falkirk 

If this were to actually happen (G-d forbid), who among us would look the most stupid, you or Yolt?

I applaud Yolt's prolonged courage to shed light on the embryonic stages of this collapse, and stay viscerally true to it and STILL be met with derision up against a backdrop of some really stupid remedies.

We're a complete howling wreck, and it seems even our manager has understood that there's little point even trying to rearrange the deck chairs any longer. The immature 'top fan' virtue signalling will only make matters worse, that's a movement 100% guaranteed only to eat itself from the inside out if results continue as they are, because when exactly is enough, enough already? How flimsy is the happy-clapping self interest department, and when and how does it set out its grievances? 

Time for some open and honest debate here, gentlemen.

Having a go at other Clyde fans, who just asked for a little patience before slaughtering the defence, is utterly pathetic.

We were told the club were working on getting loan players from decent clubs, and at that time it was not suggested the budget was gone yet. Unfortunately, so far, that has turned out to be only one loan player (who is nowhere near adequate) and a left back from the lower leagues.

I'll say again, Allison may not turn out to be good enough, but the number of people ruling him out before the guy has even played one league game for us is embarrassing. Who the f**k would want to sign for a club like that? (Insert "if players can't handle playing for a tough support, then we don't want them" type reply).

Another reason supporters, such as myself, asked for patience was because we expected Danny Lennon to improve things over time. The first thing he did when he joined the club was tighten up the defence and that has regularly been the basis from which he has worked.

However, right now (as a few posters have pointed out) the most alarming thing is Lennon himself. We know he's still a good manager, but my god he's making an arse of things at the moment.

I understand that he'll try to give the players time to adjust but he has 50% (arguably 75%) of a defence playing out of position. Regardless of Hearts intentions, Petkov isn't a centreback and we all agree McNiff isn't a leftback at this level.

Cuddihy is still a midfielder, but has the engine and attitude to at least make it hard for his opponent. However, we're losing his best aspect (getting down the wing) because he's having to work so much harder defensively.

I've said since the beginning that Rumsby has been playing up to the level of his teammates. Left to his own devices, he's a decent League 2 centreback. When he was alongside better players (Lang mainly, Cogil to a lesser extent) he would raise his game to near-match them. But when he's in a weaker overall defence he'll never stand out or make the difference.

Lennon has to adjust the selection and set up immediately, and it should not have taken him this long. If he does, even with no more signings, I still think we should be capable of avoiding the relegation battle.

TL,DR: Discuss the team but stop taking petty digs at each other. Lennon should be the main focus of criticism, not the players. Try and keep some patience & faith.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

28 minutes ago, Domino the Dug said:

If this were to actually happen (G-d forbid), who among us would look the most stupid, you or Yolt?

I applaud Yolt's prolonged courage to shed light on the embryonic stages of this collapse, and stay viscerally true to it and STILL be met with derision up against a backdrop of some really stupid remedies.

We're a complete howling wreck, and it seems even our manager has understood that there's little point even trying to rearrange the deck chairs any longer. The immature 'top fan' virtue signalling will only make matters worse, that's a movement 100% guaranteed only to eat itself from the inside out if results continue as they are, because when exactly is enough, enough already? How flimsy is the happy-clapping self interest department, and when and how does it set out its grievances? 

Time for some open and honest debate here, gentlemen.

Jesus. What’s the point when open and honest debate includes at 10 goal deficit.

So it’s an open forum but you have a dig at happy clapping self interest fans - whatever they are - could well be one myself. 

Some are loudest on here when things ain’t great .

26 minutes ago, Clydeontheup said:

Jesus. What’s the point when open and honest debate includes at 10 goal deficit.

So it’s an open forum but you have a dig at happy clapping self interest fans - whatever they are - could well be one myself. 

Some are loudest on here when things ain’t great .

Taking Yolt's double-figures statement literally (he didn't say Falkirk would merely stop at ten), is in my view an act of sycophancy. I'd say extreme prophecies need to be considered highly possible in our current state. It doesn't really matter if he's wrong, the fact he's moved to such comments are warning enough.

The open forum is exactly that. Open to agreement, scrutiny and ridicule as and when needed. We all seem to have the first of these sewn up, we all know what's wrong. The second, is pathetically lacking. Too many taking criticism personally, or looking to distance themselves from objective reality. That leads us towards ridicule, of those with their heads in the sand. Reason and logic appear to be beyond a good number, and abandoning those will be the fucking death of us. Yes, its really that bad. 

And i haven't even begun yet.

Edited by Domino the Dug

28 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

[...]

I think in trying to foster unity, you're doing the right, but some of what you say above is manifestly nonsensical when read in isolation.

For example: "Allison may not turn out to be good enough, but the number of people ruling him out before the guy has even played one league game for us is embarrassing. Who the f**k would want to sign for a club like that?".

Trialists and the concept of a trial period usually has its whole life in pre-season. Managers run the rule over players at that point and then offer them terms based on their performances, plus or minus their CV and what they might've seen of them with others clubs in the past. You don't typically give players a chance in the league before judging or signing them. I've seen Allison play for us three times now, once in a competitive match, twice in frendlies. And I've seen him play for Shire, believe it or not. I know what I see and it's enough to have a negative opinion; there's nothing embarrassing about it. Having him on amateur terms as a back-up doesn't bother me mind; I'd be clutching if I'd no money left too.

Agree with some of the rest of what you say, of course. Particularly re individuals (McNiff, Rumbsy, Cuddihy). Not sure we'll be able to cobble something together to stay out of the relegation scrap though. Our best hope of that would be 3-5-2 with Rankin and Syvertsen back up top with DGW, IMO.

I don't think anyone's really sniping on a personal level, are they? I 'wrote-off', contra some fellow fans, the Stuart Millar defence and most of the team after seeing them against Ross County in our first friendly; I wasn't wrong. Ditto Brown in the old second divison. I do have decent form for getting it right, and not just in re of that example. Patience is what saw Berwick Rangers out of the leagues; it's partly what saw John Brown hang around as long as he did. But you're right - and I've already written this - there aren't any better managers out there than Moore and Lennon and they do deserve a little more patience; but not an indefinite amount. Every manager, if he persists in getting it wrong, can poison the chalice. It is quite a tricky one for supporters, given the success Lennon and Moore have brought and our alternatives in the manager market, and our apparent lack of budget.

Edited by Sao Paulo

Having a go at other Clyde fans, who just asked for a little patience before slaughtering the defence, is utterly pathetic.
We were told the club were working on getting loan players from decent clubs, and at that time it was not suggested the budget was gone yet. Unfortunately, so far, that has turned out to be only one loan player (who is nowhere near adequate) and a left back from the lower leagues.
I'll say again, Allison may not turn out to be good enough, but the number of people ruling him out before the guy has even played one league game for us is embarrassing. Who the f**k would want to sign for a club like that? (Insert "if players can't handle playing for a tough support, then we don't want them" type reply).
Another reason supporters, such as myself, asked for patience was because we expected Danny Lennon to improve things over time. The first thing he did when he joined the club was tighten up the defence and that has regularly been the basis from which he has worked.
However, right now (as a few posters have pointed out) the most alarming thing is Lennon himself. We know he's still a good manager, but my god he's making an arse of things at the moment.
I understand that he'll try to give the players time to adjust but he has 50% (arguably 75%) of a defence playing out of position. Regardless of Hearts intentions, Petkov isn't a centreback and we all agree McNiff isn't a leftback at this level.
Cuddihy is still a midfielder, but has the engine and attitude to at least make it hard for his opponent. However, we're losing his best aspect (getting down the wing) because he's having to work so much harder defensively.
I've said since the beginning that Rumsby has been playing up to the level of his teammates. Left to his own devices, he's a decent League 2 centreback. When he was alongside better players (Lang mainly, Cogil to a lesser extent) he would raise his game to near-match them. But when he's in a weaker overall defence he'll never stand out or make the difference.
Lennon has to adjust the selection and set up immediately, and it should not have taken him this long. If he does, even with no more signings, I still think we should be capable of avoiding the relegation battle.
TL,DR: Discuss the team but stop taking petty digs at each other. Lennon should be the main focus of criticism, not the players. Try and keep some patience & faith.
the problem is any mild critism of lennon is met with a response the spanish inquisition would have been proud of in their day

I dont blame mcniff , rumsby et al they just arent good enough , what really puzzles and worries me is lennon / the club offering them 2 year deals , did anyone in their right mind think that a club was going to pay money for them as for duffie 26 games in two years and another sub double digit number coming up this season

lennon needs to sort it out cut the bullshit about adjusting to the league and we are progressing pish and the only way thats going to happen is bringing in players

It seems certain fans just cannot make their minds up.

I can remember during the Ferguson era being called a “happy clapper” and “board lover” merely for maintaining a positive outlook whilst the ship steadily sank.

Now when pointing out the bleedingly obvious fact that our defensive are utterly atrocious, I find it astounding the same people amongst others are calling for calm, as if the problem will somehow resolve itself by persevering with the same lineup and more fans singing a little louder [emoji52]
the keep calm crap was what got us to the bottom of league 2 and a few goals from the lowland league

15 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

lennon needs to sort it out cut the bullshit about adjusting to the league and we are progressing pish and the only way thats going to happen is bringing in players

Yet we show no sign of "adjusting"and we're certainly not "progressing".

I think he's takes us for idiots if he thinks we'll take his comments seriously.

1 hour ago, You Only Live Twice said:

It seems certain fans just cannot make their minds up.

I can remember during the Ferguson era being called a “happy clapper” and “board lover” merely for maintaining a positive outlook whilst the ship steadily sank.

Now when pointing out the bleedingly obvious fact that our defensive are utterly atrocious, I find it astounding the same people amongst others are calling for calm, as if the problem will somehow resolve itself by persevering with the same lineup and more fans singing a little louder emoji52.png

Conflating two very different issues, each with their own ends at this minute. In my view however we're not far from them becoming one and the same. The Ferguson era, and the inaction surrounding his horrific run (check), highly dubious recruitment (check) and seemingly immovable stock position (check) aren't that different to where this is headed if things aren't addressed pronto. 

Plenty of us do seem driven by a self-interest matter throughout both good times and bad. Vindication of last years success, for example, very quickly becomes  staunch defence of, and strict adherence to, the narrative when doing not so clever. This is far more crippling of any attempts at running a cohesive unit, than losing some football games. The nihilists among us still  seem to carry enormous weight, despite having seen the club given back its purpose on the field. That's virtually evaporated in three months. 

Edited by Domino the Dug

1 hour ago, Sao Paulo said:

I've only seen Allison in two friendlies and obviously thought better of him than you did from them. I have no problem with people having a negative or pessimistic view of a player which is, as you say, formed by many different things (not just league games for Clyde).

However, there has already been more than one post that has crossed from "I don't think he'll be good enough" to "he's never going to be good enough" and I think it's too early to say that.

Clearly, in the past too much patience with some managers has been detrimental to the club, though I'd argue some of that was the board's patience rather than most fans, but we are nowhere near that stage in our current situation IMO.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

At the end of the day the defence is clearly not good enough. I could accept conceding a few goals after promotion if it were simply down to the new and improved opposition being far better than us, but it's the manner in which we concede that's worrying.

We were brutal against Raith. The defending for the second goal in particular was something youd expect to see on a sunday morning down your local public pitch. And the equaliser for East Fife was also totally avoidable if McNiff had stuck his nut on it rather than letting it go over him when hes got f**k all pace. I wasnt there yesterday so cant comment on the goals.

We need to sort the defence out very quickly or we will be cut adrift at the foot of the table. Dumbarton and Stranraer both got very good wins yesterday which I can't see us doing anytime soon.

I hope Lennon and Moore can see this too and sort it all out.

Its mental how the feel good factor around the club has evaporated 3 games into the league campaign.