Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

In Danny's post match yesterday v EF he mentioned "part of our success". It may be a throwaway line, like his strangled reference to rabbits and headlights but "success"?

We're currently 8th in a league of inconsistent quality.  We have 11 points from 8 games and I guess many fans might say there was some deserved fortune, but fortune nonetheless, in taking points at Mo, Alloa, Cove and QP.

Taking our current points and projecting that on to last season's 22 match total, would give us just over 30 points...pretty much where P heid ended; 1 position above us.  Is that success?

16 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

In Danny's post match yesterday v EF he mentioned "part of our success". It may be a throwaway line, like his strangled reference to rabbits and headlights but "success"?

We're currently 8th in a league of inconsistent quality.  We have 11 points from 8 games and I guess many fans might say there was some deserved fortune, but fortune nonetheless, in taking points at Mo, Alloa, Cove and QP.

Taking our current points and projecting that on to last season's 22 match total, would give us just over 30 points...pretty much where P heid ended; 1 position above us.  Is that success?

Success is when you are promoted.

He is obviously trying to put some positive spin on things but as you say we have been fortunate in a number of games so far.  I would say we have been more fortunate than unfortunate and you usually find that over the season the luck tends to even out which means we are due some bad luck in the future.

2 late goals v Montrose where we should have been probably 3 or 4 down at the time.

Wonder later goal from DGW v Alloa where draw was a fair result

Out of jail card with 2 breakaway goals v Cove where they dominated most of the match

Another wonder goal from DGW v QP who although werent as good as I was expecting were probably the better team on the day.

So above amounts to 7 points that would say were fortunate to have won (1 Montrose, 2 Alloa, 3 Cove, 1 QP).

The more worrying thing is the ineffectiveness again of a number of the new signings

Balatoni - probably the best out of a bad bunch

Deveney - looked ok his first couple of games

Docherty - hopeless

Elsdon - nothing spectacular but solid

Livingston - I like him but doesnt seem to be the flavour of the month for some reason

Mortimer - hopeless

Munro - hopeless

Page - cant comment as not even played yet

Gomis - steady enough but not a game changer

Kennedy - inconsistent

Splaine - inconsistent

Andrew - hopeless

Jones - hopeless

McGrath - hopeless

Tade - has had an impact the games he has came on

That 15 players that we had instead put the budget to 3 or 4 decent players would have been a better use of the budget in my opinion.

We have 25 players according to the website (3 of them on loan at the moment) which leaves us with 22.  Think this is too many and instead would have went with a leaner squad of 15 or 16 supplemented by 2 or 3 loans.

Any team that can put together a run of a dozen games unbeaten will grab the league by the scruff of the neck.  Unfortunately I dont think we are capable of that this season and if we end of where we are at the moment then in our own way that will be our "success".

Elsdon's signing really has made a difference. Balatoni and Rumsby as a pairing was far too shaky and having the extra body there masks their limitations somewhat when they all play together as a back 3. Although the switch to a back 4 ultimately worked in yesterdays game I would be keen to keep going with the 3 unless particular situations in games arise. Especially if we bring in a centre half before the loan deadline that's an upgrade on Rumsby. 

Edited by C. Muir

1 hour ago, C. Muir said:

Elsdon's signing really has made a difference. Balatoni and Rumsby as a pairing was far too shaky and having the extra body there masks their limitations somewhat when they all play together as a back 3. Although the switch to a back 4 ultimately worked in yesterdays game I would be keen to keep going with the 3 unless particular situations in games arise. Especially if we bring in a centre half before the loan deadline that's an upgrade on Rumsby. 

I wish I was as confident as you with us getting that type of loan.  As bullyweeno1 sets out, we have hardly excelled in the recruitment dpt. 

10 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

2 late goals v Montrose where we should have been probably 3 or 4 down at the time.

Wonder later goal from DGW v Alloa where draw was a fair result

Out of jail card with 2 breakaway goals v Cove where they dominated most of the match

Another wonder goal from DGW v QP who although werent as good as I was expecting were probably the better team on the day.

So above amounts to 7 points that would say were fortunate to have won (1 Montrose, 2 Alloa, 3 Cove, 1 QP).

I don’t get this whole “we were lucky not to…”, “they should’ve…” and “if this happened we…” when people try and prove a point. They didn’t happen so it’s pointless arguing it.

What has happened has happened and we are where we are as a result. just the same as Montrose weren’t 3 or 4 up and Cove didn’t make their dominance count. That’s football. 

This “Aye, but we should be worse off than we are” is the most Scottish attitude to your team ever. 

the attitude should be we did extremely well to pull two late goals back at Montrose and we did well to keep Cove out before taking our chances to win the game.

The defeatist attitude is strong at Broadwood.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

4 hours ago, haufdaft said:

I tend to agree with bullyweeno1.

Our points are greater than our performances deserve. That will even out over the season.

Thank God for S̶t̶r̶a̶n̶r̶a̶e̶r̶ F̶o̶r̶f̶a̶r̶ East Fife

Yeah that is basically what was meaning.  

Our points total to date are better than our performances to date

Though as you thank goodness for East Fife as they are to date by a fair margin the worst team have seen this season

Just means we have to avoid 9th now

15 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

I don’t get this whole “we were lucky not to…”, “they should’ve…” and “if this happened we…” when people try and prove a point. They didn’t happen so it’s pointless arguing it.

What has happened has happened and we are where we are as a result. just the same as Montrose weren’t 3 or 4 up and Cove didn’t make their dominance count. That’s football. 

This “Aye, but we should be worse off than we are” is the most Scottish attitude to your team ever. 

the attitude should be we did extremely well to pull two late goals back at Montrose and we did well to keep Cove out before taking our chances to win the game.

The defeatist attitude is strong at Broadwood.

'The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune' My point is that DL talks about our success in his post match EF interview.  'Success' is a judgement term here and my point is can we in honesty say we are being 'successful'?  

I will take any victory and will celebrate every last minute point(s) however gained.  In recent weeks we have found some steel that was missing against Dumbarton Falkirk and Peterheid.  Our 3 5 2 is making us harder to breakdown.  Our additions from the bench are also paying dividends.  

I think this is a league with little real quality and if ever there was a season to get out it; it could be this one.  This year's top 4 will have at least 1 team no better than Clyde.

Fucking hell, what have I read these last few pages? No wonder I never go on this, if I was a supporter of another club reading this I'd think clyde fans are all greety faced p***ks. Not just us, Falkirk fans on P&B are a total special breed but the Falkirk fans I know personally are all sound as f**k. 

Indifferent start to the season but we're pulling out results, just need a bit of consistency. I do agree we need another centre half and another centre forward but other than that, just some confidence and hopefully consistency, the latter being something no team in this league has except East Fife who are consistently shite. 

Edited by Ingo ohne Flamingo