Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

1 minute ago, haufdaft said:

The number of players who wore a Clyde shirt that I've little or no no memory of is incredible.

I’m the same, all these names being brought up and I’m like who TF was he. Recognise some names but for the love of me I couldn’t put a face to them. The amount of players we have gone through in the last decade or so must be huge.

3 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

I remember McMann being quite good for us. He was just surrounded by absolute clowns.

remember Millen being one of the better ones at the time he was with us, too.

I'm convinced we had a good shot at winning the league if McMann hadn't got injured straight away. A couple of other injuries as well in fairness (McGovern, Marko missing the playoff final). He would definitely be our last standout left back, albeit Jordan Stewart was solid enough. Ewan McNeil would have been a good right back if we had played him there consistently rather than Phil Johnston.

The worst ones for me are the likes of Adam Coakley and Mark Archdeacon who managed to get a few contracts on the back of being OF youth players. They were both hopeless. Just bounced down the leagues when they should have been straight into the juniors.

Never mind the succession of clubs John Stewart got off the back of a goal against Celtic.

12 minutes ago, David W said:

I'm convinced we had a good shot at winning the league if McMann hadn't got injured straight away. A couple of other injuries as well in fairness (McGovern, Marko missing the playoff final). He would definitely be our last standout left back, albeit Jordan Stewart was solid enough. Ewan McNeil would have been a good right back if we had played him there consistently rather than Phil Johnston.

The worst ones for me are the likes of Adam Coakley and Mark Archdeacon who managed to get a few contracts on the back of being OF youth players. They were both hopeless. Just bounced down the leagues when they should have been straight into the juniors.

Never mind the succession of clubs John Stewart got off the back of a goal against Celtic.

Mark Archdeacon was class on football manager back then, to be fair. That’s probably the reason we signed him…

4 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

I’m the same with loads of players between John Brown and Jim Chapmans time in charge.

Got to say there is loads of players being mentioned here that I have never heard of

Though have to say when started slipping down the leagues I lost interest for a number of years only recently getting back into it over the last few years

Although I like DL and what he stands for I must say that his signing track record since he joined really needs to be questioned

I am sure most would admit we have the two most important players in a team sorted

1. DWG is guaranteed to get you 20+ goals a season and but for his history would walk into any team outside the prem league and also a few in the Prem league over the last 2 or 3 years

2. Mitchell had what I thought was a poor season last year but the year before he was outstanding and so far this year looks back to form (thank goodness)

How difficult can it be to find 9 other players to fit around these 2?

I don’t know if it is a lack of budget (not sure how ours compares to others) or something else but the new signings other than Balatoni and Gomis don’t appear good enough for league 1 level and there is more than 1 or 2 that don’t even look good enough for league 2 level.

I don’t want to go into naming players as not fair on the players as not their fault but it is clear in the few games that I have seen so far who they are

Personally I would have used up all the budget on say 15 players and looked to have bulked out the rest of the squad with loanees rather than signing players for the sake of bulking out the squad

Think we are in for a long season especially if DGW isn’t firing on all cylinders or isn’t played up front

I think it has been a uniquely difficult year or so for player sourcing. In all of the lower leagues only Cove's pre-season business has struck me as impressive. And they've clearly paid a premium to sign or retain their spread of good senior players. Neither Cove nor any other team has pulled many promising players from outside of senior football in this country or even taken that many young players in from the bigger full-time teams. Recycling or retention of players who, ten years ago, would've fallen out of the senior game is more the pattern I see.

Thinking about it, I don't imagine that scouting outside of senior football will have been going on to quite the extent it otherwise would have been due to the pandemic. And if you add into the mix that there won't be the same easy access to players from outside the UK that there used to be (not that many featured in part-time football), as well as remembering the general slide in quality that the game in Scotland has seen in the last ten or so years, it makes sense that we're seeing clubs draw fewer and poorer players. A few things have come together to shrink or interfere with the player market. That's how I see it.

Though they've never commented on the causes, I know that managers with good sourcing records, particularly in part-time football, like Dick Campbell have commented on the difficulty of getting players this summer. There's no way it's just a Clyde thing. Of course, that doesn't excuse some of the blunders we've made like letting go of Jordan Stewart and having Martin McNiff play left back for ages. Having Lang play as a right back for a good while. Doing the same with Cogill and so on.

Interested to hear people’s thoughts on Dumbarton ? From my point of view it looks like they have a much better squad than they did last season with the likes of McKee, Buchannan and Norway of course. Could be a very difficult game on Saturday I think. 
I don't think there is much between the squads. They have some decent players for this level in McKee, Geggan etc much the same as we do in Mitchell, Goodwillie, Gomis. The rest of both squads are pretty mediocre.

Expect it will be the same as last season in that Dumbarton will be better defensively but struggle to score while we leak goals like a sieve but will carry a goal threat, assuming Goodwillie starts up top.

We will be fighting it out with Dumbarton, East Fife and Peterhead to avoid relegation again.

Rather pessimistic but it really is just a matter of time before we are back in league 2 we just can't compete financially with the teams coming up from league 2 and there isn't a really an awful team in the league this year like Stranraer or Forfar from the previous two seasons.

5 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

I don't think there is much between the squads. They have some decent players for this level in McKee, Geggan etc much the same as we do in Mitchell, Goodwillie, Gomis. The rest of both squads are pretty mediocre.

Expect it will be the same as last season in that Dumbarton will be better defensively but struggle to score while we leak goals like a sieve but will carry a goal threat, assuming Goodwillie starts up top.

We will be fighting it out with Dumbarton, East Fife and Peterhead to avoid relegation again.

Rather pessimistic but it really is just a matter of time before we are back in league 2 we just can't compete financially with the teams coming up from league 2 and there isn't a really an awful team in the league this year like Stranraer or Forfar from the previous two seasons.

Imo that's the case for a lot of squads in the league this season. I'd imagine the top five will be Cove, Falkirk, QP, Montrose and Airdrie (in any order you want) and the rest of us will be jumbled about with not much separating sixth from 10th.

There's a definite lack of strength in depth throughout the squads though imo. If we lose McKee then we're in a bit of bother. If Clyde lose Goodwillie they are in bother. If East Fife lose Kevin Smith they are in bother. If Peterhead lose Hamish Ritchie they are in trouble and I've really no idea what to make of Alloa. Their squad looks pretty average for L1 and the jury is very much out on Ferguson. 

Should really just merge us and Clyde into the League One title favourites imo. McKee would get 20+ assists with Goodwillie ahead of him. 

Imo that's the case for a lot of squads in the league this season. I'd imagine the top five will be Cove, Falkirk, QP, Montrose and Airdrie (in any order you want) and the rest of us will be jumbled about with not much separating sixth from 10th.
There's a definite lack of strength in depth throughout the squads though imo. If we lose McKee then we're in a bit of bother. If Clyde lose Goodwillie they are in bother. If East Fife lose Kevin Smith they are in bother. If Peterhead lose Hamish Ritchie they are in trouble and I've really no idea what to make of Alloa. Their squad looks pretty average for L1 and the jury is very much out on Ferguson. 
Should really just merge us and Clyde into the League One title favourites imo. McKee would get 20+ assists with Goodwillie ahead of him. 
Yeah would agree with that.

I think Alloa have retained enough of their Championship team to be safe this season but Ferguson is a poor manager, especially when things aren't going well, and he has signed some utter garbage. If Ferguson falls out with and jettisons some of their better players then they could be in trouble.

46 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

McKee would get 20+ assists with Goodwillie ahead of him. 

Every season we don't sign McKee I get a little bit more desperate for it to happen.

47 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I definitely agree with this. There's absolutely nothing between the bottom five but as pointed out, each team has their individual trump cards. East Fife look done on paper because of bad business but that might mean absolutely nothing if the likes of Denholm or Smith hit their stride.

I was a bit down watching Dumbarton sign all those players this summer, but in comparison Clyde just have more unknown quantities. I've never seen Aaron Splaine or Paul Kennedy play a real game of competitive football but they looked fine in preseason, and probably look better options than Mark Lamont mk1 and mk2. Jonathan Page has been a bit out of sight out of mind for a few seasons but do I really think he's a worse defender than Gregor Buchanan? Nah. Adam Livingstone for my money doesn't look any worse than an aging Paddy Boyle.

The bottom five is impossible to predict, and one of the top 5 might even have a shocker and end up down in the dregs with the plebians too.

1 hour ago, Jack Burton said:

Yeah would agree with that.

I think Alloa have retained enough of their Championship team to be safe this season but Ferguson is a poor manager, especially when things aren't going well, and he has signed some utter garbage. If Ferguson falls out with and jettisons some of their better players then they could be in trouble.

After he appears to have emptied Parry into the sea that's exactly what I'm thinking could happen. Alloa have had a pretty settled squad with, from the outside at least, a strong team spirit for a good wee while now; Parry, Graham, Taggart, Robertson, Cawley and so on. If he falls out with a few of them then I can see them being in a bit of bother. Especially given the quality of the players he's brought in.