Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Docherty could play centre half and play well,  we never know. The guys had 3 games and been slaughtered, it’s actually a bit embarrassing .
What's the threshold of games for folk being allowed to point out that a player is clearly miles out of his depth in the role he was signed to fulfil?

20 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:
1 hour ago, SLClyde said:
Docherty could play centre half and play well,  we never know. The guys had 3 games and been slaughtered, it’s actually a bit embarrassing .

What's the threshold of games for folk being allowed to point out that a player is clearly miles out of his depth in the role he was signed to fulfil?

Did he even play against EK actually? A few more than he’s had especially when one of those was Killie. 

Did he even play against EK actually? A few more than he’s had especially when one of those was Killie. 
In the game against Killie he was being walked past by a 500 year old Chris Burke in addition to the penalty he conceded and the goal he gifted. I've got nothing against the guy and he was a very good part time level player in his day - you can still see from his work on the ball that was the case - but his legs have totally gone and that was evident over a year ago when he was chased from Forfar and wound up at Annan. We found out the hard way with McNiff that week-in-the-jail full backs are bad juju at this level, so he should never have been signed. That's not to say people don't wish for him to be a roaring success with us, but we've seen this story before at LB.

Aye. Let's be serious. The chances of Docherty putting in a shift as a centre-half against Morton are extremely low. That would be all the more true if he's in a two with another player and not a three.

He's too wee to play as a centre-half. Also, with the weight he carries I just don't see him robbing forwards at their feet or giving us pace as an insurance policy back there. And if you're going to come at me with a list of brilliant but stout central defenders; the Puyols, the Cannavaros. Have a word. Even with the much fairer comparator of say, Ricky Little, the difference in ability once you've controlled for height is still big. Little almost always plays beside a much bigger partner in any case.

Also bear in mind that we're up against, at a guess, Gozie Ugwu and Gary Oliver. Ugwu's a big lad. And Oliver will play to pull defenders out of position. You probably want players who can deal with those things. I'd maybe try Cassidy in centre because of his height as a couter to Ugwu. Nicoll might be an option too but he's a doubt I understand.

I think in the long term if we want any change out of Docherty we'll probably only see it if he's used as a sitting midfielder in a three. He might have it in him to maintain the positonal discipline that role requires. If he did, that could recommend him to it. He is decent technically too and has a bit of dig about him. Other than that role, I'd say as an Eddie Malone type wing-back in a 3-5-2 or as a left-midfielder with Livingstone behind him, he could shut off that side for us and probably chip in with some assists by sticking balls in from deep.

Shame we can't get today. Some weather...

16 minutes ago, ClydeFCTheBullyWee said:

Good team imo, would have started Cunningham however. 

0EBE7218-2FBB-40FF-BFF5-108B0F874728.jpeg

Cunningham in for Andrew and that's probably just about as strong as we can field with the current squad. Hopefully we'll be well fired up for this one.

2 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:
3 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Would a hitherto doubtful Jonathan Page starting before Docherty be an indicator?

Be surprised if it was a diamond in the AC Milan style with two always left up top. If it was, what would it be? Splaine at the top of the diamond. Kennedy or Gomis the sitter. Presumably Cuddihy on the right and one of Gomis or Kennedy then takes up the left hand side?

I think it's more likely to be a 4-5-1. Without the ball anyway. Andrew tucks into the left side of midfield leaving Goodwillie up. Cuddihy right. Gomis, Kennedy and Splaine central.

Whatever the case is, configuring that line well is going to be key to our success or failure this season.

Edited by Clydeside

Looks like one up with Andrew pushing out of midfield to pressure the defenders. Splaine on the left. Call it what you will. 4-4-1-1/4-5-1.

Strong side in terms of individuals on the pitch but Morton have all the time in the world to push onto us. Should've been 1-0 up after a few minutes as well.

Just now, Clydeside said:

Looks like one up with Andrew pushing out of midfield to pressure the defenders. Splaine on the left. Call it what you will. 4-4-1-1/4-5-1.

Strong side in terms of individuals on the pitch but Morton have all the time in the world to push onto us. Should've been 1-0 up after a few minutes as well.

And looks like they've now stuck Andrew on the right and put Cuddihy centre. He might have some ability but he looks like he's never played actual football before.