Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

. Jones showed in winning the penalty that however frustrating he is in other respects, simply by being a difficult presence to deal with on one or two occassions in a match he can pull something out the hat.

I'm sorry but, for his size, I don't think he's a difficult presence at all. Jones seems to jog between the two opposition centre halfs when they have possession. A token attempt to put them under pressure.

I'd also estimate that his success rate in winning headers is poor.

He seldom retains possession and when he gets the ball he runs down blind alleys before losing it.

I thought it was interesting that in multiple occasions we had the opportunity to cross the ball into the box only to choose to play it backwards. Perhaps the players aren't so confident of his abilities either.

I think Dumbarton fans comments about him are spot on on current showing. I've no idea what Danny Lennon sees in him.

There must be multiple junior players that could at least knock opposition players about a bit.

For a bit of balance, at least he wasn't the worst Clyde player today.

30 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I'm sorry but, for his size, I don't think he's a difficult presence at all. Jones seems to jog between the two opposition centre halfs when they have possession. A token attempt to put them under pressure.

I'd also estimate that his success rate in winning headers is poor.

He seldom retains possession and when he gets the ball he runs down blind alleys before losing it.

I thought it was interesting that in multiple occasions we had the opportunity to cross the ball into the box only to choose to play it backwards. Perhaps the players aren't so confident of his abilities either.

I think Dumbarton fans comments about him are spot on on current showing. I've no idea what Danny Lennon sees in him.

There must be multiple junior players that could at least knock opposition players about a bit.

For a bit of balance, at least he wasn't the worst Clyde player today.

I don't think there's anything in there that's at odds with what I wrote. Bear in mind I was in the 'I wouldn't have signed him' camp. He could be so much better than he is. Smaller players put themselves about better. All true.

Nonetheless, he's enough about him to do a job in certain circumstances. And he will win headers and breaks in the box, however few. The kind that can make the difference when you're having no joy otherwise.

25 minutes ago, BullyWeeLad said:

Can we just take a minute to understand why Danny signed Docherty ? exactly the player everyone dreaded he would be. 

Clyde have a binding contract where they need to sign at least two Annan players every summer.

34 minutes ago, BullyWeeLad said:

Can we just take a minute to understand why Danny signed Docherty ? exactly the player everyone dreaded he would be. 

Honestly mate don’t understand it in the slightest… Id be tryin to get young Otoo back on loan for the season n just keep Docherty out the team. c***s an absolutely liability 

Edited by ClydeFCTheBullyWee

Allowing for the fact that Danny's been told to shop from the bargain bucket and somehow make us at least fairly competitive, looking at that squad I'd say if it were possible, we need a powerhouse type midfielder with a bit of pace to compliment what's already there and get a hold of the game, plus a right back - at the very least to give the new lad some proper competition for a place.   When fit, Livingstone's a fine enough full back and for L1 we're covered well enough with Rumsby, Ballatoni and Page at CB

We don't need another striker, Goody, Cunningham and Love have all shown they'll take chances if created and played in the right position plus we've the young lads just added.  Forget about Tade, with whatever morsels of a budget he has left, those two positions should be priority.  If he got them, we'd have a fair chance of a decent enough season albeit at a level a fair bit below where we should be if run properly...which we're not...so we are where we are.

Just now, Jack Phillips said:

Anyone know where Page is, hasn't been in the squad the past few games

He’s been carrying a wee knock since the Airdrie game. He was in the stand today and warming up before the game.

I’ve rarely witnessed a player so out of his depth than Docherty today. Burke must have been pissing himself laughing at how easy it was to find space and get past him. Guess it wouldn’t have helped his confidence when he gifted the first to Killie after 20 seconds. Forget the penalty, no fault of his, particularly as it was never a penalty in a million years. If the Killie player had tried to cross of pass it in a dangerous area and Docherty’s arm was in an ‘unnatural position’, I could maybe have understood it. However, the ball was just kind of flicked on and hit him from maybe a yard away. C’mon tae f**k. 
livingston is clearly a miles better option and there it should end. Docherty consigned to the ‘only if we are desperate’ category. 
Unfortunately, he wasn’t alone. Some desperate performances in that first half in particular. How many times did we give the ball away when under very little pressure ? Nobody was blameless on that score. 
Need to find a bit of perspective though. Killie will be top end of the Championship and should win it given their budget (same as their last season in the top league) and we have a pretty much new team. However, we need to be so much better than that. 
Saving grace perhaps is that Dumbarton and East Fife have maybe started worse than us. 

5 minutes ago, sydney said:

I’ve rarely witnessed a player so out of his depth than Docherty today. Burke must have been pissing himself laughing at how easy it was to find space and get past him. Guess it wouldn’t have helped his confidence when he gifted the first to Killie after 20 seconds. Forget the penalty, no fault of his, particularly as it was never a penalty in a million years. If the Killie player had tried to cross of pass it in a dangerous area and Docherty’s arm was in an ‘unnatural position’, I could maybe have understood it. However, the ball was just kind of flicked on and hit him from maybe a yard away. C’mon tae f**k. 
livingston is clearly a miles better option and there it should end. Docherty consigned to the ‘only if we are desperate’ category. 
Unfortunately, he wasn’t alone. Some desperate performances in that first half in particular. How many times did we give the ball away when under very little pressure ? Nobody was blameless on that score. 
Need to find a bit of perspective though. Killie will be top end of the Championship and should win it given their budget (same as their last season in the top league) and we have a pretty much new team. However, we need to be so much better than that. 
Saving grace perhaps is that Dumbarton and East Fife have maybe started worse than us. 

Hard to disagree with much of that. I’d not read anything into Dumbarton yet, unfortunately for us. They have been COVID/injury ridden so far and their full backs today had a combined age of 34. I’d expect a pretty tough test on the opening day but I hope I’m wrong.

The defence is miles away from what is required at this level. We need another decent centre back at a minimum, it's a pity Howie couldn't be persuaded to stay.

Rumsby, Mortimer and Docherty aren't good enough for this level and there is a huge question mark over Page.

It will be the same as last season were we need Goodwillie to score a hattrick to gives a chance of winning.

10 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Also underlines Danny’s bizarre signing policy season after season. Just don’t understand his thinking when identifying players, honestly for such an obviously experienced and decent coach it boggles the mind. 

Agree that Danny's signings over the years leave a lot to be desired.

Could be that isnt getting the players that he wants?

I heard that his first 12 targets this year turned him down.

8 hours ago, BullyWeeLad said:

O’too played in some of celtic’s friendlies  so no chance of getting him, mate of mine is Celtic daft and told me a while ago he Will be involved around the 1st team this season.

Given celtics manager only started a few weeks back it’s interesting that your pal knew Otoo would be first team a while ago. He captained the B team yesterday at Bonnyrigg and I can’t see how he would go above the B side this year. 

Wasn’t there yesterday but feared the worst after 20 minutes. Livingstone should be our first choice left back, that was obvious even from Tuesdays game. 

Hopefully the Docherty “situation” is exactly what most are hoping and he will be emergency only and given what is being eluded to on here about Livingston’s fitness then maybe that is why he is currently starting, who knows?

In saying that I’m not convinced that the full back position is the end of our problems, midfield still isn’t right and we need a creative player in there too beside Gomis who can make things happen and not give the effing ball away needlessly!
Might be easier said than done now as I’d imagine the budget has already been blown 

1 hour ago, FREDDYFRY said:

In saying that I’m not convinced that the full back position is the end of our problems, midfield still isn’t right and we need a creative player in there too beside Gomis who can make things happen and not give the effing ball away needlessly!
Might be easier said than done now as I’d imagine the budget has already been blown 

That's basically it.  We could sign another 10 CB's, it wouldn't make any difference if we're still getting loads of crosses into our box, or that the midfield is such we're inviting a lot of pressure onto us.   I don't think they're too far away from having the balance right, but RB is a priority on assumption Livingstone returns to LB.  As for MF, Gomes is a class act but over the course of a season his correct role is playing deep, giving the defence a little extra protection and starting off the moves.   This is where we need the "water carrier", breaks up things in midfield, has some drive to help the likes of Kennedy, Splaine and whoever.

Don't mind Love being given the 10 role, not a bad idea but he still needs "that player" behind him along with Gomes.  So where our resources are obviously limited the idea of Tade is bizarre.  Could be we need to rely on the loan system once the Premiership teams are fully back up and running, but that's when it's best used, just one or two positions to be filled, rather than at least half a team full of them.   If we did get the right players, then you'd be in a position to actually judge the CB's, but from what I've seen Page and Ballatoni together looked solid enough, but the CB's can't do everything.