Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

10 minutes ago, Sao Paulo said:

Losing Lang and McStay makes putting a good team out very difficult. We'd still probably be strongest in a 4-5-1/4-3-3. The new backline being: Wallace, McNiff, Rumsby and Duffie/Cuddihy. The five across being some mixture of Johnston, Lamont, Rankin, Grant, Cuddihy, Love or Syvertsen. I suppose Smith could play in midfield too, behind or in place of Goodie up front. I don't like the look of that though. Not at all. We'd be a toaty wee team beyond the midfield. And we'd be a lot less dynamic minus McStay.

I reckon a left back, a centre back, a centre mid and a centre forward would complete us, but that's quite a shopping list. And it'd still be a headache, though probably a good one to have, to find the best XI and shape.

I'd imagine you'd want a backup goalie too 

Edited by Only one David Marsh

10 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Wallace is a midfielder so don’t see him being put in defence.

He's played all over the shop, including at the back. As things are, I'd rather him than McNiff there. But again ideally, we'd have a proper left-back and move Wallace up.

A big part of the reason we were promoted was having a decent defence for the first time in many years.  We'll need at least as good next season, so for me that's the priority in terms of replacing Lang
We're already stronger with striking options and we've good midfielders.  We probably only need one McStay type player there, whether himself or someone else, and it's complete , and in fact would again be stronger than last year given who he's brought in already. 
But let's not go back to having to score 3 just to get a point, get the defence tight and that alone will see us OK
spot on and no more demonstrated in the play off 1 goal conceeded in 4 games Lennon did say particularly start of last season We need to learn to win 1 0
priority for me a good centre back