Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

I see Dumbarton have brought in a boy on loan who has 5 goals in 12 appearances in the National League South this season. He could turn out to be a donkey but at least it sounds more exciting than our “There’s no players out there” nonsense.

20 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

I have said before and will say again i dont expect us to sign anyone this window.  Irrespective whether DGW stays or goes.

The board is probably scared to spend any money given they actually have some money to spend for the fear of going back to previous existence of living from month to month and worrying sometimes if they could meet the wage bill.  Also based on DL signing record I probably wouldnt have any confidence in giving him a big budget to spend.

The board are probably crossing their fingers that we can keep hold of DGW for the rest of the season and then hoping to get enough points to finish above EF and Dumbarton.

To improve the team you would be looking at players either playing week in/week out in L1 or players not getting a regular game at championship level.

I cant see us signing any L1 players who are playing week in/week out as they will be under contract and cant see us signing any championship level player not playing.

Who do you think we need?  I would say one or two creative midfielders and a forward to take the weight of DGW.

Three names think off the top of my head

Dylan Easton from Airdrie (no chance of signing)

Joe McKee from Dumbarton (no chance of signing)

Conor Sammon from Alloa (slight chance as he has probably fell out with Bazza)

Other option might be some youngsters on loan from the Premier League but with Celtic and Rangers having Colts teams they are unlikely to loan anyone and generally kid loans tend to be a 1 in 5 success and not what you need where we currently are.

Conor Sammon?! Stop drinking and posting on here at the same time.

14 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

I see Dumbarton have brought in a boy on loan who has 5 goals in 12 appearances in the National League South this season. He could turn out to be a donkey but at least it sounds more exciting than our “There’s no players out there” nonsense.

They did that with Isaac Layne and he turned out decent for them. Think it was Billericay they got him from.

Didn’t see today’s game but the stats heavily in Peterhead’s favour. We clearly need a few players in to improve what we have. 

What are we paying this recruitment team to do exactly, if I offered up as little as they have in my job I’d have been out the door months ago. It’s been a complete waste of time and money and I find it hard to believe Danny and Allan Moore don’t know the game well enough themselves to get players in of a decent standard.

On 15/01/2022 at 20:47, SLClyde said:

Didn’t see today’s game but the stats heavily in Peterhead’s favour. We clearly need a few players in to improve what we have. 

What are we paying this recruitment team to do exactly, if I offered up as little as they have in my job I’d have been out the door months ago. It’s been a complete waste of time and money and I find it hard to believe Danny and Allan Moore don’t know the game well enough themselves to get players in of a decent standard.

I think DL and AM's inability to monitor and choose players is precisely why we went for a Football Ops / Recruitment Team.  

I agree we NEED more quality in midfield and I, personally, am not sold on our defensive qualities.

Edited by Bully Wee Clyde FC
Typo

I agree.

We are only defending well if the purpose of football is entirely to try and stop the other team scoring.

We would become a more attractive team in an attacking sense if we could find a couple of good defenders with pace so we could push up the pitch and have our midfield in a position where they can support the attack. Or if we could find fullbacks that can defend one-to-one but also get forward. 

That's not to say we don't need improvements elsewhere on the pitch. Simply that it's silly to focus on any area. We are such a deficient team that we need greater quality in every position bar goalkeeper.

Edited by David W

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

I think DL and AM's inability to monitor and choose players is precisely why we went for a Football Ops / Recruitment Team.  

I agree we NEED more quality in midfield and I, personally, am not sold on our defensive qualities.

What have the recruitment team done to improve things though? Absolutely nothing. 

18 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

What have the recruitment team done to improve things though? Absolutely nothing. 

In fact went backwards!

we can’t continue with that starting 11 for next 3-4 months, we have undoubtedly overachieved in last 6 weeks and carried the luck we don’t normally have and I am 100% looking below each week hoping EF and Dumbarton lose. 

Negative?? absolutely I am, we are definitely 3 players at least short of survival in L1 this year still and it worries me the the club don’t seem to recognise this.
I also get that it might be difficult to get players in during a January window but should not have been an issue. Preseason “recruitment” has killed us no doubt about it. 

Yeah it's absolutely wild that the quality in the squad has went backwards AFTER we hired a salaried recruitment team.

I can't remember the last time we brought in a player that garnered any excitement amongst the fans. Other than Neil Parry, I think literally every signing in the past two years has been met with a collective groan.

One thing worth noting is this seasons trialists are named on the Statistics section of the OS.

So we've had Ryan Blair, Andrew Osei-Bunsu and the baldy laddie that made an appearance was called Michael Brunton, who my pal says plays with Bellshill Athletic. Thankfully none have been signed up, but going by the level our other signings this season have come from it plays that if anyone comes in, it will be from a level well below L1. The absolute pits.

I'm getting the feeling we're awaiting loan signings.

The longer the month goes on the further down the list we go.

I'd expect a 16 year old, one legged defensive midfielder signed from Stenhousemuir reserves who has 5 months left on his contact.

Danny will say he's been following the lad's career for the last few seasons and he's just what we need to create in the final third.

Mr. Diamond will remain silent.

In normal circumstances I say I was astounded that during now 2 transfer windows that the head of the “recruitment team” has said absolutely nothing! Not even the usual football club standard sound bites about players and their plans! 
Of course I’m not astounded after witnessing the “No!” Statement at the fans Q&A. Quite unbelievable,  seems to me it’s just a freeloading employee with no track record that I can see and certainly completely failing in the job he is employed to do. 

He and the club have 2 weeks to prove me wrong and I’d be delighted to post an apology if I am. 

28 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I'm getting the feeling we're awaiting loan signings.

The longer the month goes on the further down the list we go.

I'd expect a 16 year old, one legged defensive midfielder signed from Stenhousemuir reserves who has 5 months left on his contact.

Danny will say he's been following the lad's career for the last few seasons and he's just what we need to create in the final third.

Mr. Diamond will remain silent.

"NO"

6 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Think you will find that in the summer the recruitment team put a list of players to DL that DL wanted to sign and for whatever reason they didn’t want to sign (probably in most cases money)

It is I think common knowledge that something like 15 players DL wanted to sign turned him down

Not saying I am Diamond and Corrs biggest fans but if they give say a list of defenders (5) that they recommend to sign and we end up with the 4th choice rather than the 1st it is part of reason why we have what we have

3 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

In normal circumstances I say I was astounded that during now 2 transfer windows that the head of the “recruitment team” has said absolutely nothing! Not even the usual football club standard sound bites about players and their plans! 
Of course I’m not astounded after witnessing the “No!” Statement at the fans Q&A. Quite unbelievable,  seems to me it’s just a freeloading employee with no track record that I can see and certainly completely failing in the job he is employed to do. 

He and the club have 2 weeks to prove me wrong and I’d be delighted to post an apology if I am. 

It quite clear that reality is looking like we won’t bring anyone in

Nightmare scenario is that DGW moves on say 30th/31st and we have no one time to bring anyone in and we will be left with Jones and Andrew to get the goals to drive us to glory the 2nd half of the season (shudder at the thought of that !!!!!)

13 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Think you will find that in the summer the recruitment team put a list of players to DL that DL wanted to sign and for whatever reason they didn’t want to sign (probably in most cases money)

It is I think common knowledge that something like 15 players DL wanted to sign turned him down

Not saying I am Diamond and Corrs biggest fans but if they give say a list of defenders (5) that they recommend to sign and we end up with the 4th choice rather than the 1st it is part of reason why we have what we have

Just about anyone who follows lower league football can conjure up a list of "targets" for every position in the squad. Surely in a paid role such as this, any targets identified and shared with DL would have had due diligence completed and it would be established that they would / could be interested in moving to the club. Naming players who are available and would do a job for the team is nothing like compiling a list of targets / clubs etc, who we know we can either attract to the club, or establish pathways and relationships with.

Edited by maccanee

Correct me if I am wrong but Danny Lennon signed players like Ray Grant, Chris McStay, Tom lang, Dylan Cogil and Jack boyle all at I'd say a decent level for both league 1 & 2. What has happened to his judgement of potential players to sign? He has clearly made some good signings in the past. Why has that so difficult for him since we have been promoted?