Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

1 hour ago, Clydeside said:

He certainly didn't play very well today out on the left hand side. He found himself with his back to goal a lot and never done much with the ball. That is, other than run it out or lose it. But it must be remembered that he spent most of the early career playing as a defensive or sitting type midfielder with Celtic. I don't think he'll ever do well out on the left. He has no real speed about him, doesn't play to beat a man or work a one-two to go forward. He has nothing but a left foot to recommend him to that position. You'd need to ask Danny what his thinking was there. I suppose he's a fair height and so can compete a bit better than Cunningham, say, for headers. But I don't see him as being great in the air either. He probably got put out there to shield Docherty given there'd be McGuffie, maybe McDaid if he swapped or Morrison (if we thought he might play) and another over on that side to deal with. He'd be a better choice for that than Cunningham certainly. Not than Deveney though, to my mind.

He's got a lot to learn. And he's not long back from a bad injury remember (leg break). But I think he has potential and he's a good player technically. Doesn't complicate things. Doesn't take too many touches. Keeps it ticking. You don't get to where he did with Celtic without having some talent. And I would just point out that a lot of what you would fairly criticise Kennedy for, you'd also have criticised Barry Cuddihy for as a central midfielder when Chapman brought him in. But with a season or two behind him, Cuddihy became what he is today. Our best midfielder and comfortably good enough to play at this level.

Things are a bit different with Splaine as he's three or four years older than Kennedy but with, as far as I can see, just as little experience at this level and some habits that aren't easily removed from your game if they're still there in your mid 20s.

Kennedy didn’t play well today and has been hopeless all season when played

Had one of the worst attempts have ever seen at crossing the ball v Cove last week and the least said about his throwins v Airdrie the better

Agree Cuddihy is our best midfielder but that wouldn’t be hard at the moment as the rest are s***

Cuddihy is a bang average player with his only attribute being a bit of pace and a good engine……but then again so does Mo Farah but doesn’t mean he a good footballer

On 30/10/2021 at 20:45, JBJ said:

At least 4 maybe 5. And Im no sure the reserve goalie wouldnt be an improvement on Parry. A Right back, an attacking mod, a striker and a winger and a centre back. BUt will the board allow this? Are they happy to have us in league 2 with the odd shot at playoffs? Disnae look like they want to go up from League 1 and we are struggling year on year at this level with the monet available.

Man, if you have a Monet available sell and you will be right up there with the Man City, Man Utd et al.😜

I keep thinking about it and I genuinely think that starting line up on Saturday was one of the worst I've seen at the very least since BFs first season. What was more frustrating is even with the injuries, we had Cunningham, Livingstone and even Deveney on the bench who would surely have been better options than playing the most narrow midfield the world has ever seen.

For me, Cunningham just has to start over Rob Jones. Goodwillie is a target to hit, and he brings others into play. By playing Jones as the target man you're actually taking Goodwillie out the game totally, as balls don't stick to Rob Jones and despite his size I've never seen him win a header so he can't bring the 'wee guy' into play.

Goodwillie has to be the target man with Cunningham playing off him. The ball sticks to Goodwillie and he can either bring others into play or do something himself but we HAVE to get him on the ball.

11 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I keep thinking about it and I genuinely think that starting line up on Saturday was one of the worst I've seen at the very least since BFs first season. What was more frustrating is even with the injuries, we had Cunningham, Livingstone and even Deveney on the bench who would surely have been better options than playing the most narrow midfield the world has ever seen.

For me, Cunningham just has to start over Rob Jones. Goodwillie is a target to hit, and he brings others into play. By playing Jones as the target man you're actually taking Goodwillie out the game totally, as balls don't stick to Rob Jones and despite his size I've never seen him win a header so he can't bring the 'wee guy' into play.

Goodwillie has to be the target man with Cunningham playing off him. The ball sticks to Goodwillie and he can either bring others into play or do something himself but we HAVE to get him on the ball.

Aye Jones hud enough chances. But Cunningham needs to play better than 1 in 4 decent performance 

Not Cunningham’s greatest fan but with his pace alone he will probably do one or two good things in a game. 
jones does nothing, literally nothing. (Yes I know he hit the bar at weekend). In fa T as said before he weakens the team as he takes our only good player out of the game.. utter madness to play him at all let alone forcing Goodwillie deeper.

Falkirk, who I thought were pretty poor on Saturday (no way are they getting a play off place this year) must have been wringing their hands when they seen first our line up and second out set up when they saw it.

I repeat from previous post’s;  the last 18 months have been quite simply baffling!

18 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Not Cunningham’s greatest fan but with his pace alone he will probably do one or two good things in a game. 
jones does nothing, literally nothing. (Yes I know he hit the bar at weekend). In fa T as said before he weakens the team as he takes our only good player out of the game.. utter madness to play him at all let alone forcing Goodwillie deeper.

Falkirk, who I thought were pretty poor on Saturday (no way are they getting a play off place this year) must have been wringing their hands when they seen first our line up and second out set up when they saw it.

I repeat from previous post’s;  the last 18 months have been quite simply baffling!

Docherty whs the one I couldnae believe.  But hard tae knock him until he failed to get the short  corner into the box at their thurd goal

big game on Saturday right enough

2 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Agree with what you say.  By playing Jones up from you basically nullify what DGW brings; which is holding the ball up, bringing other into play, scoring goals.

2 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

In fa T as said before he weakens the team as he takes our only good player out of the game.. utter madness to play him at all let alone forcing Goodwillie deeper.

What is more worrying thing is if we as fans can see it why cant DL.

DGW i think we all can agree is our best player so you have to have him always in his best position, which is up top, so he can do what he does best.

2 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

jones does nothing, literally nothing.

Cunningham not a world beater but his pace always means he can do something in a game whereas Jones does nothing, and as you say absolutely nothing.

Again, why we as fans can see this and DL cant then makes you wonder.

Perhaps he plays him to make a point to the board but bit short sighted if it is.

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

Docherty whs the one I couldnae believe.  But hard tae knock him until he failed to get the short  corner into the box at their thurd goal

big game on Saturday right enough

I came out in a cold sweat when i heard Docherty in the starting line up but I thought he actually had a decent game.

Need to start getting Goodie some service. We can’t expect him to conjure up flashes of magic every week. Then again maybe we do. 

P.S Please Danny not on the wing again like last time vs the Sons.

Edited by TheBigGuy

14 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

DGW i think we all can agree is our best player so you have to have him always in his best position, which is up top, so he can do what he does best.

Absolutely. Probably the most famous example of this recently is Scotland trying to find a way to get KT and Robbo playing as close to their natural position as possible. Playing Robbo one up in left mid doesn't work. Playing KT at right back or CB in a two was fine but not great. Both are world class players but take them out of their natural position and it doesn't really work. You could argue that the reason Robbo hasn't done Liverpool level stuff with Scotland is *because* he's not playing as a straight up number 3 with the whole game in front of him.

It's not rocket science, and you can even see the thinking behind moving DGW around but it's been tried and it hasn't worked so let's just put it to bed until he's 40 and has to drop back into centre midfield.

FWIW I thought Saturday was not Jones's worst game.  He hit the bar and came close with a HEADER in the last 5 mins.

To all this make DGW the target man...I don't get it. He is not the tallest and often gets no change out of big CHs. If he is the target man who does he lay off to? Our best chance is playing on the deck through the opposition.

I also think the truth is DL does not know his best 11.  To suggest he plays guys out of position to make a point to the board is bonkers.  I think matches like Mo, QP and Cove at home suggested we had resilience and by making late subs, we forced our advantage. 

Edited by Bully Wee Clyde FC
Typo

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

FWIW I thought Saturday was not Jones's worst game.  He hit the bar and came close with a HEADER in the last 5 mins.

To all this make DGW the target man...I don't get it. He is not the tallest and often gets no change out of big CHs. If he is the target man who does he lay off to? Our best chance is playing on the deck through the opposition.

I also think the truth is DL does not know his best 11.  To suggest he plays guys out of position to make a point to the board is bonkers.  I think matches like Mo, QP and Cove at home suggested we had resilience and by making late subs, we forced our advantage. 

If Goodwillie wins a header there’s actually a chance the ball could go in the net though. 

I want to see DL give Tade a chance from the start, he has more experience and looks 10x the player Jones is just from his few sub appearances. Would give goodie a bit of freedom up top with Tade bullying defenders n trying his heart out to get to every ball, unlike Jones who walks about with his two left feet. Dumbarton is a must win game on Saturday but truthfully I can’t see it happening.