Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

I’m going to the Clydebank game tomorrow as my dad was a Clydebank fan in his youth (now a Clyde fan and season ticket holder after moving to Cumbernauld in the 80s).

It’s always been a hot topic who he would support if we were ever to play each other and personally I’d love to see it.

Spoiler

I’m pretty certain he’d support Clyde but probably not stand up if we scored and that sort of thing.

3 hours ago, Jack Burton said:
3 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:
Don’t know if I agree.
It is natural that he would have a few options for each position (or at least that is what I would expect)
Option 1 - L1 level standard
Option 2 - L1/L2 level standard
Option 3 - L2 level standard
Option 4 - L2/lowland league standard
If option 1 and 2 turned him down it probably explains why we have the squad we do
Agree we should have went for quality over quantity and used the budget on no more than 14 players then took on say 4 loanees and went with squad of 18
For the 8 you mentioned I would have invested their wages into 1 or 2 quality players
I wouldn’t be surprised if DGW  and Mitchell (now Parry) take up a sizeable % maybe up to a quarter or a 1/3rd of the total budget

Danny could have signed a couple from option 1 rather than 8 from option 3 or 4. It was entirely his choice.

Agreed I would have went with a squad of 18 (14 signed plus 4 loanees) rather than a squad of 20 all signed

Edited by Bullyweeno1

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

If you're right, surely we simply should not pursue anyone below your option 2?

Agreed but let’s put some hypothetical figures on it

say the following options cost this

Option 1 - L1 level £30k

Option 2 - L1/L2 level £20k

Option 3 - L2 level £15k

Option 4 - Lowland/L2 level £10k

we have a budget of £300k

If you want 20 players you can’t sign only Option 1 and 2 as would cost £400k - £600k

So need to sprinkle in some option 3 and 4 and hope they work (though chances are they won’t)

2 x option 1 - £60k

5 x option 2 - £100k

8 x option 3 - £120k

5 x option 4 - £50k

Total £330k (so £30k or 10% over budget)

The above is totally hypothetical but probably not far off actual give or take the budget, numbers in each level, etc

Edited by Bullyweeno1

2 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Elgin have been poor this season and sit near the bottom of league 2. If we can’t negotiate this tie it should be the final nail in lennon’s coffin.

Entirely probable we would lose away to Elgin 

See EK and Broomhill earlier in the season

Edited by Bullyweeno1

5 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Agreed but let’s put some hypothetical figures on it

say the following options cost this

Option 1 - L1 level £30k

Option 2 - L1/L2 level £20k

Option 3 - L2 level £15k

Option 4 - Lowland/L2 level £10k

we have a budget of £300k

If you want 20 players you can’t sign only Option 1 and 2 as would cost £400k - £600k

So need to sprinkle in some option 3 and 4 and hope they work (though chances are they won’t)

2 x option 1 - £60k

5 x option 2 - £100k

8 x option 3 - £120k

5 x option 4 - £50k

Total £330k (so £30k or 10% over budget)

The above is totally hypothetical but probably not far off actual give or take the budget, numbers in each level, etc

In fact probably not even as good as that as just seen we have a squad of 25 which is far to big for us.  18 should have been the limit

32 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

In fact probably not even as good as that as just seen we have a squad of 25 which is far to big for us.  18 should have been the limit

39 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Elgin have been poor this season and sit near the bottom of league 2. If we can’t negotiate this tie it should be the final nail in lennon’s coffin.

Can't see us beating either two

1 hour ago, clydenil said:

I believe we have signing  problems because no one wants to come to our club.

unfortunately I think the only solution is for DL to go.   

I can’t see us being in div 1 next season.

Any particular reason, apart from us being a basket case?

Wonder if Danny has been on the phone to that Watson lad released by Dunfermline last week. An experienced CB, he would be straight in to our lineup. Might have some better offers and can’t sign professionally until January but could get him in as an amateur till then. His attitude sounds questionable to be fair but we are desperate and he’s miles better than what we currently have.

48 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Wonder if Danny has been on the phone to that Watson lad released by Dunfermline last week. An experienced CB, he would be straight in to our lineup. Might have some better offers and can’t sign professionally until January but could get him in as an amateur till then. His attitude sounds questionable to be fair but we are desperate and he’s miles better than what we currently have.

Let's be realistic here, we'd probably need Watson to phone him.

18 hours ago, RosspCfc said:

Goodwillie - Shouldn't be above criticism spent the Montrose game and the 2nd half yesterday in the huff.

He shouldn't be above criticism but you can see exactly why he's in the huff. I'd be in the huff too if I were one of the best players in the league, surrounded by dross with a manager that employs an extremely odd set of tactics with a shambolic recruitment policy.

Against Montrose, he was being asked to play as a 10 in behind Tade and Jones, with no one in midfield capable of linking up. There's only so much 'f**k it, I'll do it myself' a man can do.

12 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

Any sane manager in L1 would be battering Watson's door down to get him in in January - it'd be worth letting 6/7 players go to free up the money to pay him from Jan-May given he's exactly what we need. Maybe we wouldn't get him but he's 31 and coming to the end of his full-time career, so it'd be well worth planting the seed.

However as has been mentioned, there's no danger Danny has given him a shout.

I’m fairly convinced that Lennon would say he’s settled at CB despite this season - he has shown no desire or inclination to improve that position other than to bring in Elsdon (and even the wheels of that deal were greased by an agent).