Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

5 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Ok you can argue maybe not the worst but he sure is one of the top contenders

We knew he wasn’t going to score goals - as he only scored one last year

But DL said was signed to give us a plan B

Still to see what that plan B he was signed bring to the table

I didn’t really know much about him before he signed but in his first game of the season it was clear to see that he isn’t any good.

At the end of the day if I’m being brutally honest, all this is 100% down to Danny Lennon. Having a go at the players etc is understandable but let’s be honest it’s really really really harsh and unfair, Danny has signed these guys and they aren’t good enough, and for them to be put in a position where the are getting abused every week because they are way way out their depths is pretty grim. Danny has put them in this position and to me that is unforgivable and he has a lot to answer to. 

The only reason I’d say Jones isn’t as bad as the others over the years is because when he came in we expected this, at least he tries and seems to want to succeed, guys like Sean Higgins etc didn’t even do that. 

I genuinely feel really really bad for the team this year because they have been set up to fail from the go. Other years there have been guys that had done well or had bags of experience under their belt and didn’t show up and they get shouts etc and it ok in a way. The team this year, I just feel so much empathy for them

1 minute ago, Clyde01 said:

If these guys weren’t first choice signings (which I hope they weren’t) then why come out with pish like this:

3a0a30c095a3889c35aaaecbb4e80c48.jpg
We are crying out for a RB and Mortimer can’t get near the team. Lennons comments would have you thinking we signed the next Cafu.

Unfortunately making silly comments like this by DL is always going to come back and bite him as they can be shown in hindsight to be completely ridiculous 

Bottom line is Mortimer had made 80 appearances in 7/8 years with a team in L2 so about 10 appearances per year

Isnt going to suddenly come into a L1 side and be operating like a Cafu on the right hand side

Danny's a great guy and his first season and half in charge was fantastic but that was 3/4 years ago.

We came up from league 2 with a young, exciting team who played good, pressing football and have regressed massively since then.

I wouldn't have been bothered if Danny had left at the end of last season as the football we played was awful. However, I thought he deserved another season as he kept us up in what was a very bizzare season.

I think Gomis was one of the first signings and was really pleased with that but the day we signed Jones, Mortimer etc. was the day that alarms bells started ringing. We then followed that up with more dross.

We have a recruitment team and increased the budget this season so we should be able to sign a better calibre of player than cast offs from Brechin and Annan. He's also retained players that are nowhere near this level and resigned Munro after he couldn't get a gig anywhere else. We may have a small budget but Danny has squandered much of it.

It's not just the players but the position they play that is the issue. We've signed 3 left backs in Docherty, Livingstone and Devaney. Have 2 right backs in Mortimer and Munro but have to play Cuddihy there as neither of the other 2 are good enough. Rumsby, Balatoni and Elsdon are all slow and clumsy so we have to play all 3 to cover for that. We have no legs in midfield other than Cuddihy.

The above problems are all of Danny's own making. He's also obviously realised that Docherty, Mortimer, Andrews, McGrath, Jones and Munro aren't good enough so they are either out on loan or don't feature. We could have arguably have signed a couple of league 1 standard players instead of all those combined.

Our only chance is staying in touch to January and hoping we can make big changes then.

30 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

It all comes back to basic question - how many of the players we have signed were first picks and how many players did we put offers in to thinking we had a realistic chance of getting who turned us down.

If all players were 1st choice for their position then that would be worrying

But if they were the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even lower choice on the list for their position then basically means we didn’t have the budget to compete

You can go driving in the F1 Grand Prix driving a mini thinking you have the chance to compete

That’s the thing these players shouldn’t have even been under consideration to sign. Did we even see any of them play? Who in their right mind thought that Cassidy, Docherty, Mortimer, Splaine, Andrew and McGrath were good enough? Don’t even get me started on resigning Nicoll and Munro!

11 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

At the end of the day if I’m being brutally honest, all this is 100% down to Danny Lennon. 

Personally don’t know if would agree with this

If DL choose the squad as his first pick then he is 100% to blame as it and has always been obvious from the start of competitive games this season that it is just not good enough for L1 level

If he did try and sign 10-15 players who it was thought we could afford to sign and was turned down then unfortunately can only work with what he has

As an example, we are crying out for Ray Grant in the middle of the park.  I would have hoped we were in for him in the summer but if he chose a L2 team over us then it can only have been down to money.  Which might be the real reason we have the squad  we have

Personally I would have put 100% of the budget to sign the best 14 players we could then bulked the rest of the squad out with loanees and crossed my fingers

Instead by spreading the budget across 20 players there is about 15 or so who are L2 level and below 

I don't buy this "we didn't have the budget".  If it was always about money, Parry would still be drawing his wage at Alloa. Twice in living memory we have recruited well in unorthodox ways. The juniors under Ronnie Mac and the free agents under Roberts.

To me, we looked desperate to make signings; any signings. We were like the husband running into TK Max on 24th December with a wod of tenners. 

I think we could have got away with 1 or 2 unexpected signings among sound auld heids and hidden gems, but we tanked and relied on a squad made up of mystery men.  We captured a guy released by Edinburgh City, a fat lad not playing for Annan,  a man who saw his Brechin drop out the league, a goalless striker, players languishing in the Lowland League  

If only we had gone for a bit more quality and less quantity.  

Personally don’t know if would agree with this
If DL choose the squad as his first pick then he is 100% to blame as it and has always been obvious from the start of competitive games this season that it is just not good enough for L1 level
If he did try and sign 10-15 players who it was thought we could afford to sign and was turned down then unfortunately can only work with what he has
As an example, we are crying out for Ray Grant in the middle of the park.  I would have hoped we were in for him in the summer but if he chose a L2 team over us then it can only have been down to money.  Which might be the real reason we have the squad  we have
Personally I would have put 100% of the budget to sign the best 14 players we could then bulked the rest of the squad out with loanees and crossed my fingers
Instead by spreading the budget across 20 players there is about 15 or so who are L2 level and below 
Of course Danny is to blame regardless if he was turned down by his first 10 or so targets.

Nobody forced him to sign 2 right backs and 3 left backs nor 3 slow centre halves.

He signed all these players their clearly not up to this level rather than going with a smaller squad of league 1 players.

Mortimer, Munro, Andrews, McGrath, Docherty, McCormack, Cassidy and Jones all either don't feature or are out on loan. It's a ridiculous waste of the playing budget.

19 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Of course Danny is to blame regardless if he was turned down by his first 10 or so targets.

Nobody forced him to sign 2 right backs and 3 left backs nor 3 slow centre halves.

He signed all these players their clearly not up to this level rather than going with a smaller squad of league 1 players.

Mortimer, Munro, Andrews, McGrath, Docherty, McCormack, Cassidy and Jones all either don't feature or are out on loan. It's a ridiculous waste of the playing budget.

Don’t know if I agree.

It is natural that he would have a few options for each position (or at least that is what I would expect)

Option 1 - L1 level standard

Option 2 - L1/L2 level standard

Option 3 - L2 level standard

Option 4 - L2/lowland league standard

If option 1 and 2 turned him down it probably explains why we have the squad we do

Agree we should have went for quality over quantity and used the budget on no more than 14 players then took on say 4 loanees and went with squad of 18

For the 8 you mentioned I would have invested their wages into 1 or 2 quality players

I wouldn’t be surprised if DGW  and Mitchell (now Parry) take up a sizeable % maybe up to a quarter or a 1/3rd of the total budget

Don’t know if I agree.
It is natural that he would have a few options for each position (or at least that is what I would expect)
If option 1 and 2 turned him down it probably explains why we have the squad we do
Agree we should have went for quality over quantity and used the budget on no more than 14 players then took on say 4 loanees and went with squad of 18
For the 8 you mentioned I would have invested their wages into 1 or 2 quality players
I wouldn’t be surprised if DGW  and Mitchell (now Parry) take up a sizeable % maybe up to a quarter or a 1/3rd of the total budget

Danny could have signed a couple from option 1 rather than 8 from option 3 or 4. It was entirely his choice.

31 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Don’t know if I agree.

If you're right, surely we simply should not pursue anyone below your option 2?

I also think we have overlooked our shit retention and resigning strategy.  If anyone saw our final away match v Forfar last season they'd be amazed to see Nicoll, Rumsby and Munro in a Clyde strip this season. 

43 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Don’t know if I agree.

Option 5 - wait on phone calls from players looking for a club

I'll join in with yesterday's squad.

Parry - Unconvinced. Often glued to his line and doesn't command his box well enough for me. Saw enough from JBH to think he should get a run.

Munro - Better than Rumsby at right back, that isn't saying very much

Elsdon - Improved what we had

Rumsby - fought well in the first half but League Two player at the absolute best. Should never have been offered a contract 

Livingstone - Better than Docherty don't think he's better than Oto'o and has regressed since he was on loan at us.

Nicoll - was playing for Cumbernauld United in tier six. That is his level

Gomis - flattering to deceive. Came with a good reputation but really not impressed. Anonymous more often than not.

Splaine - good skills but his passing is criminal. How many moves break down because he can't find a Clyde player?

Love - Works hard fights like a Lion but is a bit limited

Goodwillie - Shouldn't be above criticism spent the Montrose game and the 2nd half yesterday in the huff.

Cunningham - East Fife aside had been really poor this season disappointing for a player with several Premiership games behind him.

Bradley-Hurst - Obviously no world beater but think he should play

Ballatoni - League Two defender and it shows

Kennedy - Has flashes but again playing at a division too high

Deveney - Not good enough. Waste of a loan. His performance at East Fife was atrocious.

Page - Who knows, did play for Brechin last year though...

Jones - The scape goat. Rubbish player but is getting all the abuse that should he directed at others.

Cuddihy - League one level player but Danny can't decide his best position. 

Docherty and Mortimer - seen nothing to say they should ever have been signed

Tade - shows flashes but I'm glad he's on an amateur contract.

5 minutes ago, TheBigGuy said:

Cup draw in a bit. Can’t say I’m really that arsed this year.

Any thoughts on who we’d like?

The lions share of sides in the draw would probably beat us in our current state. 

However it would be very nice to get through for a potential money spinner in the next round to get all the jobbers out the door and sign adequate replacements.

27 minutes ago, TheBigGuy said:

Cup draw in a bit. Can’t say I’m really that arsed this year.

Any thoughts on who we’d like?

Kelty away so I can go - probably getting beat anyway

Somewhere we've never been for the day out

A diddy team at home so we can - maybe - win