Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Tue, 19th Oct 2021 2:31pm

Club Chairman Gordon Thomson spoke to official website following Saturday's match against Montrose:-

“When I first came into this role, I said that progress would not be a straight line. Saturday was a brutal example of that. When I started, I wanted supporters to be the key part of the solution in improving the status and sustainability of our club. Last week saw the first meetings of the working groups that will help to achieve that goal, but the defeat against Montrose was a reminder of the volatility of the game and how we can’t ignore what happens on the pitch as we build for a better future.

“Since becoming chairman I think I have missed two training sessions, so I have seen at first hand the preparation for matches and the intensity of the training. During the international break I met with Danny and Graham to review the first quarter as part of our regular run of meetings. Issues are not ignored or poor performances accepted as the norm. Work will intensify to turn results around in order to repeat the positive performances that we have experienced in certain matches this season.

“Prior to the weekend’s match, we had confirmed a Football Forum for supporters on the 26th October and hopefully I will be able to confirm arrangements as soon as possible. The forum will be held to give supporters an opportunity - away from match day - to air their views. Frustrations and anger expressed is not surprising but the positive backing of supporters is also a critical factor in matches ahead. Our legendary trainer Mattha Gemmell once commented that Clyde supporters needed their “hearts cast in a foundry” and that remains true to this day.

“Danny spoke, as he always does, post-match and his hurt was evident. This league is certainly cut throat as weaknesses are exploited and as results have proven, no club is assured of victory in any match. However, to repeat the positives that we have experienced this season, we all know that improvement has to occur and supporters can be assured that everyone behind the scenes will play their part to work harder and try to ensure we meet our expectations for this season."

Just seen this on the website ;)

Edited by Blydoit Bully Wee

https://www.clydefc.co.uk/news/2021/10/19/6934/#.YW7K4BrMK00   Tue, 19th Oct 2021 2:31pm

Club Chairman Gordon Thomson spoke to official website following Saturday's match against Montrose:-

“When I first came into this role, I said that progress would not be a straight line. Saturday was a brutal example of that. When I started, I wanted supporters to be the key part of the solution in improving the status and sustainability of our club. Last week saw the first meetings of the working groups that will help to achieve that goal, but the defeat against Montrose was a reminder of the volatility of the game and how we can’t ignore what happens on the pitch as we build for a better future.

“Since becoming chairman I think I have missed two training sessions, so I have seen at first hand the preparation for matches and the intensity of the training. During the international break I met with Danny and Graham to review the first quarter as part of our regular run of meetings. Issues are not ignored or poor performances accepted as the norm. Work will intensify to turn results around in order to repeat the positive performances that we have experienced in certain matches this season.

“Prior to the weekend’s match, we had confirmed a Football Forum for supporters on the 26th October and hopefully I will be able to confirm arrangements as soon as possible. The forum will be held to give supporters an opportunity - away from match day - to air their views. Frustrations and anger expressed is not surprising but the positive backing of supporters is also a critical factor in matches ahead. Our legendary trainer Mattha Gemmell once commented that Clyde supporters needed their “hearts cast in a foundry” and that remains true to this day.

“Danny spoke, as he always does, post-match and his hurt was evident. This league is certainly cut throat as weaknesses are exploited and as results have proven, no club is assured of victory in any match. However, to repeat the positives that we have experienced this season, we all know that improvement has to occur and supporters can be assured that everyone behind the scenes will play their part to work harder and try to ensure we meet our expectations for this season."

Just seen this on the website [emoji6]

I’d like to hear more detail on what matches he considers to be positive performances this season. Our performances have ranged from uninspiring to absolutely awful. As has been pointed out before we were extremely lucky to grab a point at Montrose and the home wins vs alloa and cove were both against the run of play.

Results tend to paper over a poor performance but there aren’t many games we’ve played well or even been the better side. There isn’t a clear system or pattern of play being developed and the signings we have made don’t look as if they were made with any foresight to how we would play. That’s before you factor in most of them not being good enough.

Off the top of my head we’ve got Doherty, Mortimer, Munro, nicoll, Andrew, McGrath all of whom have not had a run in the team (or been loaned out) because they aren’t good enough.

Off the top of my head we’ve got Doherty, Mortimer, Munro, nicoll, Andrew, McGrath all of whom have not had a run in the team (or been loaned out) because they aren’t good enough.

All signed or re-signed in the summer.
If funds are the issue you need to optimise what little there is. We seem to continually waste substantial amounts of monies available to strengthen the squad.

Most frightening is most saw this coming. During the summer we, as amateurs, could see the signings for what they were, poor quality dregs and leftovers from other clubs waste bins.

Currently we're hoping for the return of Johnathan Page to strengthen our dreadful defence. A player relegated to the Highland League with Brechin and was part of their dreadful defence. He hasn't had a decent season since he played for East Fife.

Full responsibility lies with Danny Lennon. Two seasons of shite performances, shite signings and still some fans make excuses as he managed us to promotion seasons ago.

2 hours ago, Blydoit Bully Wee said:

Tue, 19th Oct 2021 2:31pm

Just seen this on the website ;)

Load o pish.

2 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

I’d like to hear more detail on what matches he considers to be positive performances this season. Our performances have ranged from uninspiring to absolutely awful. As has been pointed out before we were extremely lucky to grab a point at Montrose and the home wins vs alloa and cove were both against the run of play.

Results tend to paper over a poor performance but there aren’t many games we’ve played well or even been the better side. There isn’t a clear system or pattern of play being developed and the signings we have made don’t look as if they were made with any foresight to how we would play. That’s before you factor in most of them not being good enough.

Would agree with what you say and have to agree havent really seen an positive performances so far this season.  The only game IMO we very marginally deserverd to win was EF and that was only because they were more hopeless than us on the day.

Dont think we deserved a draw v Montrose away.  Should have lost by 3 or 4.

Dont think we deserved a win v Alloa.  Draw probably a fair result

We hung on all the 2nd half for a win v Cove when would say they were the better side over the 90 minutes and they probably deserved to win.

Think we were 2nd best v QP and didnt deserve a point.

Just now, Harry Haddock said:

Why is it a load of ...?

For once we have a Chair who is trying to communicate with fans. 

Yeah fair play to Gordon. 

The easy option would have been to say nothing but at least it is communicating which is to be welcomed.

Though if we get thumped again on Saturday wouldnt be surprised to see next meetings cancelled for "technical issues"

Not sure what the consensus would be but I’m afraid for me Danny’s time is up, he’s done a good job to get us up and stay there but we are so far short of the standard required and he seems completely out of ideas to fix it. 

Shame it’s came to this with him as I think he’s a good manager and likeable guy, but something needs to change. 

9 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Not sure what the consensus would be but I’m afraid for me Danny’s time is up, he’s done a good job to get us up and stay there but we are so far short of the standard required and he seems completely out of ideas to fix it. 

Shame it’s came to this with him as I think he’s a good manager and likeable guy, but something needs to change. 

I’m of the same opinion. Based on results this season and the signings it’s not going to work.

I have to agree and take no pleasure in that as he seems a decent man and I’m sure cares for the club. However he / the club have completely got it wrong in last 2 years, recruitment has been embarrassing.

I have been a supporter for decades and have therefore seen many relegated teams and that team is 100% a relegated  team, no doubt about it. To turn it around will take 7 players at least.. that is not going to happen!
No evidence that Danny can recognise a player with the quality required nor do the club  seem to have the finance or willingness to sign players if said quality.

A sad state of affairs and also so avoidable.. baffling situation we find ourselves in! 

I am also frustrated and disappointed about the recent results, 11 goals conceded in three games is not good at all, and I am in no doubt Danny and Moorey will be trying all they can to fix it. 

All decent managers go through tough patches- and for Danny right now, this is one of them. 
I am not saying that any manager shouldn’t receive criticism when their club is having a difficult run, but after reading a few of the comments on here, I don’t think fans calling for Danny to go is going to help matters at all. 

Timeline since Danny took over: 

2017/18- League 2- appointed November, club finished 5th, so close to play-offs 

2018/19- League 2- finished 2nd, promotion via play-offs 

2019/20- League One- finished 7th- IMO good position for first season back, also halted in March due to COVID. If continued good run before COVID maybe could’ve finished higher. 

2020/21- League One- 8th- IMO recruitment affected due to COVID, stop-start throughout season wouldn’t have helped. 

I think Danny is one of the most genuine people in Scottish football and you couldn’t meet a nicer guy who clearly feels just as passionate as the supporters no matter what club he’s represented. I’m sure he will understand just as much as anyone that results need to change and I trust him to do that. 

I should also mention- fans need to be careful what they wish for.
When Danny left Cowdenbeath after getting them promoted twice, they got relegated the season after.

When Danny’s contract wasn’t renewed at St.Mirren and they let him go, they also got relegated the season after. 

Edited by MatthewM02

He almost has to go back to what he did when he first arrived. Shut up shop and make us hard to beat, even if that loses a bit of cutting edge going forward. We are absolutely haemorrhaging goals at the moment. Although with the personnel at hand that isn’t easy, Falkirk hammered us earlier in the season despite us playing defensively.

My patience with Lennon is wearing thin and the squad that has been put together this season is an abomination. We need answers as to why things are so bad, was it purely financial? Reading some of his comments from when we signed these duds is comical. Ok your not going to come out and say they were all we could afford but the waxing lyrical looks embarrassing to say the least in hindsight.

Two things (apart from sentiment) make me think we should give Lennon more time to turn things around. 1. Could anyone else realistically do better with the current squad.
2. Who else is out there with the experience of our current management team that we could expect to bring in.

We need to see a big improvement in performance over the next run of games, that’s for sure. Cove had been in poor form and seemingly breezed past us today without getting out of 2nd gear. Falkirk have been similarly poor lately so we need to be looking to get something next week. The home game against east fife in a month or so is starting to look massively important too.

I'm not calling for Danny Lennon's head.

As long as East Fife stay below us I'd give one more transfer window to prove he can actually identify the problems and address them. I doubt he can but I think we'd win any relation playoff.

I'm not called haufdaft for nothing.

If there were signs of improvements I would be inclined to give DL more time but were are going backwards week by week and again absolutely nothing in today’s performance other than shot by DGW that came of the bar.

It doesn’t look like we can go a game without conceding at least  2 goals and with no support to DGW we aren’t going to score and if he doesn’t score the chances are no one will

DL has tried different formations and different players but nothing is working.  I really don’t think he can do anything that is going to improve things

Sooner we get someone in the sooner they will see if they can turn things around.  If may just be that irrespective of the manager no one can do anything as the squad basically other than DGW is lowland league level 

However can only see things changing if DL walks as can’t see the board sacking him

1 hour ago, MatthewM02 said:

I am also frustrated and disappointed about the recent results, 11 goals conceded in three games is not good at all, and I am in no doubt Danny and Moorey will be trying all they can to fix it. 

All decent managers go through tough patches- and for Danny right now, this is one of them. 
I am not saying that any manager shouldn’t receive criticism when their club is having a difficult run, but after reading a few of the comments on here, I don’t think fans calling for Danny to go is going to help matters at all. 

2019/20- League One- finished 7th- IMO good position for first season back, also halted in March due to COVID. If continued good run before COVID maybe could’ve finished higher. 

2020/21- League One- 8th- IMO recruitment affected due to COVID, stop-start throughout season wouldn’t have helped. 

I think Danny is one of the most genuine people in Scottish football and you couldn’t meet a nicer guy who clearly feels just as passionate as the supporters no matter what club he’s represented. I’m sure he will understand just as much as anyone that results need to change and I trust him to do that. 

When Danny left Cowdenbeath after getting them promoted twice, they got relegated the season after.

When Danny’s contract wasn’t renewed at St.Mirren and they let him go, they also got relegated the season after. 

Nobody is denying the job Lennon has done since coming to us, but he’s never had a period like this before or assembled such a poor squad. 

The fact we resigned Nicol who after got dropped in league 2, we improved and went up is absolutely criminal. 

I like Lennon as a manager and he comes across a good guy, but it’s time up for me I’m afraid. 

On the point of who else is out there, you won’t know until you have to look. 

They've had three months now to "fix" the catalogue of glaring tactics, selection and personnel-based sins that were evident to many Clyde fans as soon as we were allowed back in a stadium. There's been little evidence of much changing and Danny's post-match comments are extremely familiar and foreboding; he's all out of ideas, because he's tied his own hands behind his back with utterly risible recruitment.

This is, indeed, true, but this is not an isolated tough patch and is quite clearly the culmination and continuation of a two-and-a-half-year decline which commenced with the dire signings ahead of our League One campaign, all of whom barely featured and were emptied after varying degrees and durations of participation. David Mitchell was, of course, the exception to this, but his signing was handled by Chris Fahey and not Lennon himself. Supporting Danny evidently isn't going to make things any better as, with the goodwill and trust of Clyde fans, he's managed to get us into this position. A change now is a risk, but it is also a massive risk to bank on a guy who has overseen such sustained regression. A new face with new ideas, and who can actually spot/sign a player, might represent a better chance at stirring the club from its current sleepwalk to relegation. We all know how hard it was to get out of it the first time, and it's only getting harder.

2020/21- League One- 8th- IMO recruitment affected due to COVID, stop-start throughout season wouldn’t have helped.

This, also, is very interesting. Nobody among us will deny that Lennon did an absolutely outstanding job in his first year and a half at the club, and for that - alongside his personal character - he will always be someone held in the utmost respect by Clyde fans. He galvanised the club when it was in an extremely toxic condition and teetering on the edge, and I personally will never forget the pleasure that it was to behold the transformation in the second half of that first season. The recruitment was youthful and exciting, he transformed players who were already at the club and forged both new and existing players into a system which brought the apex of playing style that PT Scottish teams can hope for. He followed this up with his first real mixed bag of signings when it mattered, albeit he did to his credit bring in Rankin and retain the majority of those who were so impressive in 17/18. We all know what happened the next season and despite initial struggles, which largely stemmed from shoehorning Nicoll into the team at times and not trusting Grant/McStay as a pair, it was a brilliant season which resulted in a thoroughly merited promotion.                

Then the problems started. The recruitment of Johnston, Wallace and Smith - the former in particular - actually looked alright, but it became clear pretty evident early on that the latter pair were brought in without any discernible plan around how to fit them in. I think he was a bit unlucky with Johnston who was the most exciting of the three, but all in hindsight were very much Cameron Jerome type players who shone at the lower level and couldn't make the step up (in Smith's case, it was probably just a bit late for him). Grant and McStay grew into things, as we all knew they would, and the big regret is that we've never been able to carry out similar recruitment since. Every possible effort should've been made to retain both of them and make them the heart of our team for as long as possible. Decent loan signings in January fixed papered over massive holes that existed in the squad as a result of poor and sentimental recruitment, and we picked up a bit before Covid after a bit of a disappointing first half of the campaign.                 

Despite this slight upturn we then assembled another squad which was a downgrade on the one before it, filled out with masses of kids on loan throughout the season (a few of which finally came good or good-ish and helped us to safety). I don't think anyone could complain too much had we been relegated last season though, because much of the fair was garbage and we were second best in most games.                

Optimism was then renewed ahead of this season, with hopes that last year's awful recruitment was indeed Covid-related (even though many suspected it really wasn't). It soon became evident that it wasn't. As a result, we've been left with an absolutely hopeless squad which absolutely nobody could achieve well at this level with.

As I've sort of touched on above, you won't find anyone arguing with that. He's the kind of guy who, if he either departs honourably or somehow turns this around and leaves further down the line, would be welcomed back to the club with the warmest of receptions any time he visited. The problem is that this pattern of incompetence, primarily in the non-coaching side of management, has eroded the implicit trust that many fans had in him completely.

This is, of course, complete nonsense and utterly desperate stuff. Cowdenbeath were relegated because Lennon had worked miracles there, inevitably moved on and then had the better players in their squad emptied, being left with the lowest budget in the second-tier and having to replace probably their best-ever manager. They were massive favourites to struggle. In the case of St. Mirren, it was their decision to replace Lennon with Tommy Craig (a manager about whom Saints fans have almost nothing positive to say) that paid for them. Interestingly, you fail to mention his stint at Alloa which is basically exactly what has happened here but in a fraction of the timespan; massive initial improvement, better football, development of existing players and then horrific recruitment leading to a gargantuan struggle. It genuinely hurts to say it, but this story is going to have to end the same way if we're to have any chance of maintaining our League One status from here.

image.gif

image.gif

Edited by the_bully_wee
P&B utterly butchering the formatting of the quotes - sad!