Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

I'd love to see Cuddihy in the middle of the park again but at the moment he's undoubtedly our best choice on the right.
I'd quite like to see Page too if I'm honest, taking Rumsby out of the team for a bit might be slightly unfair but after the the Airdrie performance it's probably time.

It wouldn’t be unfair, he is gash.

I have no clue where we go from here. The so called squad is what we have.. I ask again; when will Lennon, Core and Diamond come out and explain their thought on why they signed who they signed. I assume there was some thought?

Disgraceful state of affairs over the last 2 years, all good work undone and I just don’t understand why! 

On 29/09/2021 at 18:52, clyde_r_us said:

you could have said joint 5th or 1 point away from play off spot

said:

In Danny's post match yesterday v EF he mentioned "part of our success". It may be a throwaway line, like his strangled reference to rabbits and headlights but "success"?

We're currently 8th in a league of inconsistent quality.  We have 11 points from 8 games and I guess many fans might say there was some deserved fortune, but fortune nonetheless, in taking points at Mo, Alloa, Cove and QP.

Taking our current points and projecting that on to last season's 22 match total, would give us just over 30 points...pretty much where P heid ended; 1 position above us.  Is that success?

Just thought I'd rehash this..

I think Lennon taking Rumsby off three minutes before half time was adding insult to already hanging him out to dry. Why not wait until half time rather than humiliating him? (I assume he wasn't injured).

No idea the purpose of bringing Jones on. Tade and Jones on the park and we don't go long?

Two left backs on the field, Rumsby at right back.

Makes you wonder if Danny is working his ticket.

Put prices up and put a poorer product on the park, good business model. 

I’ve not been back since the Stranraer game, but what are the incentives to start going back regularly after 18 months of not being able to go? 

As said above there are issues throughout the club, they need addressed quickly. 

What an absolute shambles. I thought the performance vs airdrie was amateur at times but today eclipsed that and then some. We have over achieved this season so far and today has been coming with the squad of absolute shite we have cobbled together.

There’s not a decent full back in the squad, Cuddihy the best but more needed in midfield. The central defenders are dreadful, even elsdon who has been steady so far had a shocker today. Midfield again nowhere near good enough, how many times did splaine lose possession today and Kennedy can’t even take a throw in. No wonder Goodie looks frustrated at times, he’s surrounded by absolute shite.

We’ve got two RB’s on the bench who are not good enough, so much so Danny played Rumsby out there today where he got absolutely slaughtered. We’ve got Doherty who has disappeared because it was obvious from day 1 he wasn’t good enough. We are wasting money on too many dross players and didn’t even bring in any loans (apart from a young boy who looks out of his depth).

We are stuck with this utter rabble until at least January, by which time we will be marooned at the bottom. Depressing stuff.

Had been planning to travel up next Saturday but f**k that, will be lucky if I bother with Falkirk at home the following week.

3 hours ago, haufdaft said:

Danny, I'm curious as to how Clyde fans should have acted after a 5-0 home defeat going on 8-0.

Gentle applause?

I guess he means the justified, in my opinion, shouts at individual players like Rumsby, Livingstone, Spilane, Cunningham and Jones who were called out some fans who are the paying public.  

I have some serious concerns about the team and if DL is saying he takes responsibility for the formation and the squad, I wonder if he can actually remedy the situation? 

We signed guys that were bench-warmers from the leagues below us and some who weren't considered good enough by teams around our level.  The performance, if not wholly the results, prove this high risk approach has failed.

Where do we go from here? 0-3 on day 1 V Sons 0-3 v Falkirk, who are in pish poor form and 0-5 v a very decent Mo.  Please dont talk about budgets as we have pished that away with some plain awful signings that are hanging about like oddities or sent back down the leagues.

Edited by Bully Wee Clyde FC

37 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

I guess he means the justified, in my opinion, shouts at individual players like Rumsby, Livingstone, Spilane, Cunningham and Jones who were called out some fans who are the paying public.  

I have some serious concerns about the team and if DL is saying he takes responsibility for the formation and the squad, I wonder if he can actually remedy the situation? 

We signed guys that were bench-warmers from the leagues below us and some who weren't considered good enough by teams around our level.  The performance, if not wholly the results, prove this high risk approach has failed.

Where do we go from here? 0-3 on day 1 V Sons 0-3 v Falkirk, who are in pish poor form and 0-5 v a very decent Mo.  Please dont talk about budgets as we have pished that away with some plain awful signings that are hanging about like oddities or sent back down the leagues.

Agree with all you say.

Highlight some of what you say

"...some serious concerns....." i have more than some - have a great many.

"......i wonder if he can actually remedy the situation?"  - to me it seems like DL throws up a list of names in the air each week in the hope that they come down in some sort of order that will form a team that will perform.  Rumsby at right back was crazy.  That it took him 43 minutes to see that after he was taken to the cleaners by Lyons on at least 4 occasions before that beggers belief though was bit of an embarrassment to Rumsby to take him off just 2 minutes before half time when he could easily have just waited to half time. when he wasnt injured.  Both Gomis and Splaine in midfield when they have been totally ineffective all season.  Two left backs down the left hand side.  Didnt feel that Livingston was the worst of them.  The defending at some times in the game was absolutely crazy and thought that Elsdon (who to be fair has been steady if unspectacular since he came in) had a shocker today. 

"The performances, if not wholly the results, prove this high risk approach has failed".  There hasnt been one game that we have deserved to win.  v Alloa wonder goal in last minute for DGW.  v Cove 2 breakaway goals from DGW and thought Cove were the better team, v EF two poor teams and only won as EF were even worse than us on the day. 

"Where do we go from here?" dont really know.  Todays result has been coming as the results to date have been better than the perfomances.  Next 4 games (v Cove, Falkirk, Dumbarton, QP) 3 of them are away from home.  It is a real possibily that we could end up with zero points from those 4 games.  Dont think we will pick up anything away from home judging on our away form and even though Falkirk seem to be hopeless the now fully expect them to beat us in a couple of weeks.

Think it’s time for Danny to have a serious look at his position,  his team selections, tactics and recruitment since we were promoted, have been shocking and hard to understand.  The majority of the players are nowhere near good enough for this level, nor will they be good enough next season for the 2nd division, which it looks like we are heading for.  How can he justify starting a young loanee and leaving Love on the bench yesterday, the only tactics I see this season  are sit back until we go behind, then change to a more attacking formation. Totally embarrassing. When you think of the abuse other managers have received, Danny’s getting off lightly.

Sticking Rumsby at right back and bringing him off before half time after he got torn to ribbons is absolutely disgraceful from Lennon, he’s truly hung the poor laddie out to dry and hasn’t even tried to hide it. Rumsby isn’t a great player but always works his balls off, treating him like that is extremely poor.

It looked to me a kind of veiled attack on the recruitment team - “You’ve went and signed two right backs, neither are good enough to play so I’m having to do this”. It’s so stupid but it’s honestly the only reason I can think of for starting with that formation yesterday. Horrifically misjudged. 

It looked to me a kind of veiled attack on the recruitment team - “You’ve went and signed two right backs, neither are good enough to play so I’m having to do this”. It’s so stupid but it’s honestly the only reason I can think of for starting with that formation yesterday. Horrifically misjudged. 

If this was the case he isn't taking "full responsibility" for the signings.

Sticking Rumsby at right back and bringing him off before half time after he got torn to ribbons is absolutely disgraceful from Lennon, he’s truly hung the poor laddie out to dry and hasn’t even tried to hide it. Rumsby isn’t a great player but always works his balls off, treating him like that is extremely poor.
Lennon has final say on all signings. The recruitment team just suggest players to him. Having two shite right backs and three shite left backs is all on Lennon.

If we're not signing any more players and it doesn't seem like we are I actually think our best eleven is easy to pick. And this follows almost regardless of the opposition.

It's Parry behind Elsden, Balatoni and Rumsby in a three. It's Deveney and Munro as the wing-backs. It's Nicoll, Cuddihy and Gomis in the centre. And it's Goodwillie and Cunningham up front.

It has to be a back three because any two will be too slow to cover the relatively large space that it'd have to cover. Same goes in midfield. We need to compensate for being slow by leveraging our experience and physicality to make it difficult for teams to play through us. We can't have hugely inexperienced players like Kennedy and particularly Splaine in that line. And never ever both of them in there at the same time. Our interests in staying in the league outweigh any interest we have in developing either player, whatever their potential.

Deveney and Munro, however inexperienced, are the best options we have for either side. Deveney is athletic. I think he gives us a decent route up the park as well as being aggressive enough to offer us something in defence. Munro mightn't be as good a player but he's stalky and plays with enough aggression to do a job. Sure, he'll get beat here and there, but the three behind are a better insurance policy than just Rumsby or Elsden being stood between him and Parry. And we can't do without Cuddihy in the centre of the park. His legs, his ability to keep the ball and his experience are just too important to have him tucked in at right wing-back.

Cunningham's pace gives you something very tangible to rely on. He does deliver albeit inconsistently, such is his inexperience and such is the fact of him having been moved all of the shop. Tade and Jones just can't be banked on in the same way, albeit they can come on and change things in the best case scenario. And Goodie picks himself obviously. At a push... we could suffer to have Cuddihy as the right wing-back and Kennedy in the centre. Or Deveney on his bad side with Love as the left wing back. Maybe Jones up with Goodie depending on the opponent. That's about the limit of our flexibility week on week in my opinion.

One up top. Four at the back. Flat five in midfield out of possession? Forget it. The jury is in. 3-0 Dumbarton. 3-0 Falkirk. 5-0 Montrose. And you can add the 3 shipped against Peterhead because the 3-5-2 minus Elsden is as bad as any alternative. But we still got two back then. We concede too many with a four. And we don't score enough with one up. It seems very clear to me.