Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

3 hours ago, David W said:

I thought the podcast was quite clear in putting the blame for a poorly assembled squad firmly on Danny Lennon's shoulders.

Except it didn't.  GT first of all confirmed that in terms of budget, we are in the bottom half of L1

In terms of recruitment he explained it was twofold.  There were some players DL worked with previously he was interested in bringing in. However, it is also the role of the two individuals to source players, present them to the manager who then has the final say.  In both scenarios this is in the context of working with a barely competitive budget so having to operate within these constraints and trying to make the best of it.  

There's a lot I disagree with GT about, I don't think he yet has a handle on what is actually required that would help resolve a number of the issues he highlighted, however he's a decent enough lad and certainly made the recruitment situation clear.

34 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Except it didn't.  GT first of all confirmed that in terms of budget, we are in the bottom half of L1

In terms of recruitment he explained it was twofold.  There were some players DL worked with previously he was interested in bringing in. However, it is also the role of the two individuals to source players, present them to the manager who then has the final say.  In both scenarios this is in the context of working with a barely competitive budget so having to operate within these constraints and trying to make the best of it.  

There's a lot I disagree with GT about, I don't think he yet has a handle on what is actually required that would help resolve a number of the issues he highlighted, however he's a decent enough lad and certainly made the recruitment situation clear.

Montrose and East Fife are also teams perennially in that same budgetary bracket and yet both have enjoyed fairly stable, good-quality squads in the main over the last half a decade. It was made abundantly clear that Lennon and Moore identify players of their own accord alongside the recommendations put to them by Diamond, and that Lennon has complete agency over whoever we sign. Recruitment has been a massive facet of management from the year dot and this whirlwind around Lennon's abysmal record there isn't anything new; Alloa fans told us similar stories, we saw a few warning signs in the L2 times and then the last three seasons of recruitment have been shocking in the main. The sad fact of the matter is that DL alone won't get the best out of a budget, whether it's a poor one as it is just now or a better one which would improve the quality of the squad slightly. Other part time managers manage just fine with the same - or a lower - level of support, so I'm not really sure what the ultimate issue is. He has to be doing far better, or perhaps more responsibility has to be given to Diamond in terms of negotiating with identified targets.

18 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Having a free week next week might not be the worst thing to allow some injuries to clear up. 

Anyone know how many goals Goodwillie on now, must be 96 or so?

Programme said 96 before the game so 98 now. So sure the Big Guy is right

Edited by RosspCfc

It was encouraging to hear from Lennon in his post-match that we worked on the new shape during the week. I don't know if we did the same prior to the drubbings we got off of Raith and Airdrie in the same shape but it certainly didn't show up as if we did back then.

Today was different of course. Outside of the first few minutes we looked quite disciplined in the shape.

Assuming we don't do too much more recruitment I think the happy thing about the 3-5-2 might be that it can be quite versatile around the players we have and the different approaches we'll need to have to playing better and worse teams. On its face the two up means Goodie won't be hopelessly isolated. The tight three in the middle means that we won't have to choose just two central midfielders. That's good because any combination from our squad just looks a bit slow, small or inexperienced on paper in my opinion. And then with the wing-backs and tight three you might be more able stop big spaces appearing and to stop defenders getting engaged in races to the ball that they won't win.

If we keep drilling it and we sign a few more, I think it might end up being our best choice. But we'll see. Few trialists in today. I'm quite sure we'll sign some more. Be interesting to see where they fit it.

53 minutes ago, David W said:

It's 97. You can't score a goal in a 3-0 defeat.

I hope you take your need for anally accurate fact keep up with the club and volunteer as statistician 

17 minutes ago, RosspCfc said:

I hope you take your need for anally accurate fact keep up with the club and volunteer as statistician 

The sooner the "Fitzpatrick goals" and the one Scott Rumsby "scored" against Elgin are consigned to the same waste bin as Roddy Hunter's phantom goal, the better IMO.

3 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Rumsby is making up for it with penalties conceded, though.

That was never a penalty yesterday though.
The ref probably gave it on the basis that as they kept appealing for one, he had to give one eventually.
We had a similar, but much more blatant, obstruction on Goody not given.

47 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

Do we know whether the Mitchell thing is actually happening or not?

If not, we'll have a pretty decent 1st choice, substitute and 3rd choice keeper! 

Was surprised to see young Bradley Hurst in on Saturday, and I thought he did well but why was Parry not selected?

56 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

If not, we'll have a pretty decent 1st choice, substitute and 3rd choice keeper! 

Was surprised to see young Bradley Hurst in on Saturday, and I thought he did well but why was Parry not selected?

Lennon made a comment about something happening with parry in his post match interview but didn’t say what.