Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

This is probably as agreeable an end to Mitch's time at Clyde as there could be. We're getting a good replacement and a fee. Potentially a player or two on loan as well.

Falkirk were silly to let him away when they did. He's an excellent goalkeeper. There are only a few you'd swap him for in the whole country.

6 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

If Mitchell is away it’s disappointing that it wasn’t sorted earlier in the season, I’d imagine he’s one of our highest earner maybe second behind Goodwillie, could have maybe got a couple of better quality players in earlier in the window

Given Parry has a reputation as being one of the best lower league/part-time ‘keepers on the scene I’d imagine he’ll be commanding a similar sort of wage. He certainly wouldn’t have been short of offers.

On 26/08/2021 at 13:45, Jan Vojáček said:

Your location is kind of insignificant when Cove are offering a three year deal on money well beyond what we could offer to be fair. Sons trained in Glasgow and Morgyn lives in Lanarkshire, so I doubt he'd pick Clyde over Cove if you guys offered two years and similar money to ourselves.

If I was playing L1 and having to travel to Aberdeen plus possibly Perth once a week for training plus everyother week for matches compared to Glasgow / Cumbernauld, I'd be counting my time at £20 per hr.  What a hassle.  Training at Dumbarton or Lanarkshire I could be in home for half 9. 

9 minutes ago, Clydeside said:

This is probably as agreeable an end to Mitch's time at Clyde as there could be. We're getting a good replacement and a fee. Potentially a player or two on loan as well.

Falkirk were silly to let him away when they did. He's an excellent goalkeeper. There are only a few you'd swap him for in the whole country.

Not really. Despite how well he’s obviously done for Clyde he was shite for us. Came back from a serious injury under McKinnon and got a chance when that fucking clown Fasan got himself suspended and he threw the ball into the net in a 1-0 home defeat by Ayr iirc. He just didn’t work out with us, it happens.

12 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Maybe Hibs weren't interested earlier in the season? 

Obviously the Parry signing makes much more sense now on the back of that news. Excellent move for Mitch and maybe Ross can do us a turn by firing us a couple of loan players (that are ready to play in our league). 

Nah obviously that’s how football works. I just meant from our perspective it might have been better knowing in July he was off. Parry as good as we could get in at this stage. He’s better than Hutton anyway

17 minutes ago, Clydeside said:

Mitchell is a excellent league 1 keeper and a average lower half championship keeper. The fact Parry is available at this time is a godsend as we wouldn’t be able to get better in 

7 minutes ago, Russ said:

Not really. Despite how well he’s obviously done for Clyde he was shite for us. Came back from a serious injury under McKinnon and got a chance when that fucking clown Fasan got himself suspended and he threw the ball into the net in a 1-0 home defeat by Ayr iirc. He just didn’t work out with us, it happens.

I follow you. Other Falkirk supporters have told me the same. Albeit that aside from the Ayr game you mention 'shite' seems a bit strong. In the round there's no doubt he's been better for Clyde than for Falkirk of course. I accept that.

If Clyde let a player go and he then becomes an excellent player at the same level or better I tend to reflect on that as our failure. There are some exceptions to that rule of course. However, a newly injury-free goalkeeper like Mitch who has always had a good attitude would be one I looked back on and cringed about were I a Falkirk supporter. Not that Falkirk have had too much bother with goalies since mind you.

8 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Mitchell is a excellent league 1 keeper and a average lower half championship keeper.

I rate him more highly than that. And I expect Hibs could source a keeper whose ability would place him in the lower half of the championship without having to pay a transfer fee if they wanted to.

I don't see Mitch as having a lot of limitations outside of his height. He's not short of course. But he doesn't have the sheer size of frame and athleticism that goalkeepers often need in order to get to the highest levels of the SPL or down south.

A bit like Soutar at Hearts, he's a player whose development was stunted by injury and now that he's been able to get a couple of seasons behind him he's grown in quality just as he might've but for those injuries. He's shown himself to be an athletic, decisive and commanding goalkeeper and a great shotstopper too. Memorably, two or three opposition managers have used the expression 'world-class' - albeit a bit cheaply! - to describe saves he has made these past couple of years.

He's only played poorly in the last couple of games in my opinion. And we might as well put that down to a move being on his mind. In almost every game inbetween he's been superb.

Sad to see Mitch go but I think the time is right, Will miss him a great character and overall great guy. His interaction with the fans was second to none. Always the first one clapping us. One of our best players over the few years we have had him. As others have said it would be ideal if we got a decent fee to actually get in players that play in defence. 

1 hour ago, Clydeside said:

I rate him more highly than that. And I expect Hibs could source a keeper whose ability would place him in the lower half of the championship without having to pay a transfer fee if they wanted to.

I agree with your whole post, however at this point I reckon we agree to disagree. Realistically he will go to be 2nd or 3rd choice keeper at Hibs, he’s a good cheap option and someone playing below his level at a club who money is priority number 1. Is he better than Aidan McAdams at Ayr? I don’t think so. He’s a great guy to have about and does coaching etc he has a lot of upside. It’s a great move for him and deserved, it’s a good move for both clubs and he goes on with the best of wishes and he has been integral to us staying in league 1. Parry coming in makes this a minimal blow.

I hope the guy proves me wrong btw. Would love to see him be number 1 at Hibs. Would be good from a recruiting point also

Edited by Ocelot1877

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

If I was playing L1 and having to travel to Aberdeen plus possibly Perth once a week for training plus everyother week for matches compared to Glasgow / Cumbernauld, I'd be counting my time at £20 per hr.  What a hassle.  Training at Dumbarton or Lanarkshire I could be in home for half 9. 

Cove are paying Morgyn Neill so much money he’s been able to cut back his hours at work apparently. Neither Clyde nor Dumbarton could even come close to matching it, I’d be surprised if we could even pay half of what they are paying him.. I’m sure the extra travelling is a minor inconvenience when you are earning a fair whack for playing part-time football on a 3 year deal. Given Cove are also expected to fight for the title he may also have ambitions of picking up a league winners medal. A no brainer for him IMO, even with the extra travelling.

On 23/08/2021 at 21:00, Adolfo Rios said:

No internal appointments here, we are fans wanting the same answers as all others fans want hence why we asked him if he would come on.  I am not an trained interviewer by any stretch of the imagination and we are not going in to this to start a fight and confront from the off but we are not going to shy away from asking questions because we volunteer at the club in a number of positions.   We will ask any question that comes in to us to the chairman but this should only be a starter to greater communication from all at the club.  It does not fulfil any promise on that front but it is a step in the right direction however big or small it is deemed.   

Edited to add :   Article up with details on how to submit questions.  I locked myself out of this account so couldn't post them earlier.  

https://www.clydefc.co.uk/news/2021/08/23/6896/#.YSP-9o5Kg2w

How do you feel the session went?  I felt GT was given an easy ride. I may have missed the Arria bit, I don't know. 

GT rambled on about how the Diamond and PJ did so much more than recruitment. I heard no follow up Q on how Danny's recruitment has been his weakest suit and asking why, with such a well thought out structure, we have ended up with a squad of guys who weren't getting a game for teams in the league below us, are farmed out to LL teams, have had little game time and approached us to be signed. 

Yeah I was a bit disappointed about the podcast.

Not really interested in all the stuff in the background.  That is for those who want to get involved to deal with

Also how many times do we need to look at the - “should we stay or move story”.  

Unless someone willing to gift/pay for a stadium then a non starter as without looking into the details we don’t have any money to invest in one.

should be looking at

1. How to generate funds from staying at broadwood

2. How to increase home attendance to over 1k from the local community

3. How we can start at least one youth team with the vision to produce at least 1 player a year who plays for the first team

As a fan all interested in is what see on the pitch.

However GT probably not the best person to be asking questions on that

Hopefully podcast get “dick and Dom” on the podcast soon as GT indicated they would be happy to do so to get questioned on recruitment

Edited by Bullyweeno1

I'm regards to the podcast I was interested to hear about all the work done by our recruitment department.

Hence it's shocking that we've then signed Page (played poorly in a relegated Brechin team), Robert Jones (awful for Dumbarton), McGrath (already away on loan), Balatoni (offered his own services), Monro (wasn't that great last season for Clyde) and Rumsby.

Also add Nicoll, Andrew, Tade, Mortimer and Docherty.

Money well spent on recruitment?

Only Splaine and Gomis look decent. Elsdon looks okay too.

I thought the podcast was quite clear in putting the blame for a poorly assembled squad firmly on Danny Lennon's shoulders. It unfortunately is a continuation of his previous work in the transfer market.

I prefer not to be given false promises so it delivered on that front (does GT know any Spanish pop stars?).

I did hope there would have been more of an acceptance of the situation we are in this season though.