Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

24 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

The appointment and direction of travel we embarked on with this so called football department has been a complete and total disaster. Either due to the incompetence of those appointed to do the job or the board not releasing funds or both. Again I say, if we are in financial trouble then you least let us know. If so then it’s in the open and not leaving supporters to have to speculate why we are in such a shambles on the park.

I wouldnt say it is the board fault entirely as they increased the player budget from £300k last year to £376k last year.  Increase of 25%.

Now what would be interesting to know is how a budget of £376k compares against every other team in L1 and L2. 

However notwithstanding what other teams have you would expect that an 25% increase in budget would get a better squad than last year but think it clear to see that the squad is worse than last year.  ( I would say considerably worse)

Now if everyone else has increased their budget by more than 25% from last year then would make sense why our squad is worse.  As with other teams spending more players have more options.

Sure the appointment of "Dick and Dom" recruitment team was well meaning at the time but clear that it hasnt worked.  What would be interesting to know is what is actually their remit?.

Surely DL and AM with their contacts should know about every player in the professional leagues and lowland leagues that is avaiable.

I would have thought that "Dick and Doms" role would be to unearth other players eg youth players at Prem Lge level, junior/amateur players and would expect them to attend 3 or 4 matches a week for this role.  If they arent doing this then really dont see the point why they are there.

Remember Craig Brown had his critics when he was with us but he did all the scouting himself and was out watching a number of games each week.

5 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

I also don’t think Mitchell can be too far away from the criticisms this season, he’s been poor. Over his time he has saved us plenty of points but we need that form back. 

Said it plenty times before but we have 2 guys getting paid for recruitment and if I done my job with such contempt I’d have been out on my arse long ago. 

Earlier on someone said the new chairman would be quizzed on the podcast. I think he has to clarify in a more formal comment what their role is. There's more than 2 of them incidentally.

It could well be the case that their job is to simply put together a database on players and they may be doing that brilliantly with Danny Lennon then not using that information correctly. Or it may be the case that they're playing a much more active role in recommending additions. 

Either way, there has to be some clarification on what has gone so badly wrong. I didn't think we could get much worse than the Johnston/Smith/Wallace signing spree but this is a shambles.

5 minutes ago, David W said:

Earlier on someone said the new chairman would be quizzed on the podcast. I think he has to clarify in a more formal comment what their role is. There's more than 2 of them incidentally.

It could well be the case that their job is to simply put together a database on players and they may be doing that brilliantly with Danny Lennon then not using that information correctly. Or it may be the case that they're playing a much more active role in recommending additions. 

Either way, there has to be some clarification on what has gone so badly wrong. I didn't think we could get much worse than the Johnston/Smith/Wallace signing spree but this is a shambles.

I heard it on the grapevine that "Dick and Dom" have done absolutely nothing to date in the the recruitment of new players and basically DL was left to try and do it all himself which based on his previous years history of selecting players you could see wouldnt go well as based on who he has signed in the past he dont have an eye for a player.

The only player I can think that DL has signed that has been any good is Mitchell.

I thought Johnston was a terrific signing but for whatever reason didnt really work out for him with us.  See he is back playing with Annan, scoring goals and apparently playing well so maybe he just one of those players that is too good for L2 but not good enough for L1.

Unfortunately the day that Mortimer, Jones, Page, McGrath were announced a signings must go down in club history as the worst dross signed in any one day.

Like you say it would be good to know what "Dick and Doms" remit was and what they are actually doing on a week by week basis.

It is now 3 months since the Zoom Clyde members meeting where the now Chairman said the board was looking to have similar meetings with members going forward on a more frequent basis.

Wasnt mentioned what the time period would be but a catch up every 3 months  would be reasonable.

21 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

The only player I can think that DL has signed that has been any good is Mitchell.

Even at that seemingly Fahey done most of the work there. 

Our new signings performances to date have made me go back on the news archive and read Lennon's comments on each player when we first announced them. On reflection, there's some truly mind blowing stuff there. 

Conrad Balatoni "suits our style of play" - We've now reverted to defensive hoof ball and he's now benched.

Dochertys "deliveries from wide areas will be key" - that unfit he can barely get over the half way line.

Everything re Mortimer :lol: 

Gomis - "defensive qualities." Plays Kevin Nicoll as the defensive midfielder.

McGrath - "natural goalscorer who certainly knows where the goal is. At a critical age where he needs to take opportunities given." Plays most often at left midfield and now loaned out to the Lowland League.

Kennedy - "dynamic midfielder with a vision for a pass". Gets played out wide. 

Not even a comment on the Tade signing which probably tells us that deep down he knows as well as us how much of a waste of time that endeavor was, regardless whether it's amateur terms or not. 

Edited by C. Muir

5 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

As a footballer there is two key attributes you need - speed and skill

We only have one player that has both — DGW and even then I think he has lost half a yard which is to be expected

Two are paced - Cunningham and Cuddihy

The rest have neither and many are well below what is needed

Your stats are pretty damning

If you can’t keep clean sheets you are going to struggle-the clean sheet was against Stranraer where we should easily have conceded two or three

As you say if there was a game plan or structure then fair enough.  You could see yesterday Falkirk had a structure and plan to how they play

Whereas we in the other hand look like we are 11 guys who just rock up the day

I know they only have a few hours training each week but what do they actually practice.  It isn’t clearly throw ins, corners or how to move as a team

I actually thought your guys were very well organised yesterday without threatening at all has to be said. Made it difficult for Falkirk. Obviously had to come out once the first goal was scored.

2 hours ago, Ontovictory said:

I actually thought your guys were very well organised yesterday without threatening at all has to be said. Made it difficult for Falkirk. Obviously had to come out once the first goal was scored.

Can’t agree that Clyde made it difficult yesterday.

Our lack of a penalty box poacher (like John Baird was) is the only thing that kept them in the game for so long.

Completely outplayed from start to finish.

Long grim season ahead for Clyde if that is all that they have to offer.

16 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

I wouldnt say it is the board fault entirely as they increased the player budget from £300k last year to £376k last year.  Increase of 25%.

Now what would be interesting to know is how a budget of £376k compares against every other team in L1 and L2. 

I assume that figure includes your staff wages as well? If that was solely player wages, you could afford a wage bill of over £7K a week, or a 20 man squad on an average of £361 a week. I think it's safe to say Clyde aren't paying those wages to Robert Jones and Billy Mortimer. I'm going to guess that playing budget includes Danny Lennon and his staff and your actual player wages will be at least £100K less than that figure. Either that or you boys are paying Goodwillie an absolutely eye watering amount of money. 

Got confirmation we are recording an interview with the new chairman on Wednesday so if you have any questions details will be on the website later today with how to submit these.  You can DM me on here with any too.  We have a few already on recruitment unsurprisingly, so try and cover all other club matters or this could be a bland 1 hour.  We do have our own set of questions but would be great to have as many fans use this opportunity as possible to get their questions answered.

We will be publishing the full interview on Friday at 7pm instead of the usual live show.     

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I assume that figure includes your staff wages as well? If that was solely player wages, you could afford a wage bill of over £7K a week, or a 20 man squad on an average of £361 a week. I think it's safe to say Clyde aren't paying those wages to Robert Jones and Billy Mortimer. I'm going to guess that playing budget includes Danny Lennon and his staff and your actual player wages will be at least £100K less than that figure. Either that or you boys are paying Goodwillie an absolutely eye watering amount of money. 

I think he is on a fair wedge but not to that extent!

34 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

I am sure the club are thrilled at the wage bill being shared on here. And some people wonder why they are reticent about giving out information to fans.

Pretty sure that is info that anyone could get off of Companies House?

I'm not even joking when I say you should ask about black shorts and red socks and that the team should always come out to the Song of the Clyde. We can't afford to lose wee bits of our identity however negligible they might seem.

More importantly, communication. Is there a reason why the outcomes of AGMs, fans forums etc can't be summarised and conveyed to members? Even a more immediate formal set of minutes. Why could last year's zoom meetings not be recorded? 

It causes two issues. One, supporters who can't attend (I know that I can't justify going to these things on top of 40+ matches a season, people will work etc.) are left out of the loop. Two, those who attend often misinterpret (or even simply forget) what was said leading to a series of rumours and counter rumours.

We already went through a phase where only Arria attendees seemed to be picking up on a variety of gossip.

Would agree with the above posters in that the all white strip looks awful. It's surely not that difficult to have black shorts and red socks.

The new chairman has highlighted communication as needing improved. The poor communication has been highlighted time and again so why hasn't it been addressed before? After all Gordon Thomson has been on the board for as long as I can remember.

It would be good to get some clarity on the Arrira lounge. There was posts on Facebook that suggest that even if the place is full the club only makes less than £100. If that is true then how did we enter into and agree such an appalling deal? Especially considering we contributed to renovating it.

It always strikes me as wrong that non members/owners are constantly left in the dark about issues effecting the club.

I understand that there needs to be things kept internally for members. Only members get a vote. That's all fine. £40 seems reasonable for this exclusivity.

However it always seems to be the intention to exclude everyone else from any information to increase the presumed value of membership.

All Clyde supporters are affected by decisions within the club. This includes issues relating to the stadium, the team and the support.

I'm glad that many Clyde fans far away are able to contribute to the club via membership as a way to support and maintain a link to the club.

However why should many season ticket holders paying six times the price of membership be excluded from even being told the outcomes of AGMs etc?

I'm left to the rumour mills, misunderstandings and lies from others with agendas. That's certainly not worth £250

It always strikes me as wrong that non members/owners are constantly left in the dark about issues effecting the club.

I understand that there needs to be things kept internally for members. Only members get a vote. That's all fine. £40 seems reasonable for this exclusivity.

However it always seems to be the intention to exclude everyone else from any information to increase the presumed value of membership.

All Clyde supporters are affected by decisions within the club. This includes issues relating to the stadium, the team and the support.

I'm glad that many Clyde fans far away are able to contribute to the club via membership as a way to support and maintain a link to the club.

However why should many season ticket holders paying six times the price of membership be excluded from even being told the outcomes of AGMs etc?

I'm left to the rumour mills, misunderstandings and lies from others with agendas. That's certainly not worth £250

I should have mentioned that I welcome the chairman coming on the podcast. It certainly addresses some of my points (assuming he's forthcoming with answers)

8 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Companies House will give you last year's spend (and probably not in sufficient detail to identify playing budget v other), not the one allocated to the manager for this year.

Fair enough, I've never bothered to look at club accounts if I'm honest but I remember someone posting Peterhead's on here a season or two back and their player wages were listed in the expenditure.