Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

49 minutes ago, DGW9 said:

My biggest concern is we are so slow in possession (that's if we actually make a pass and don't give it away) and don't have any pace in the squad, nobody willing to take risks quite happy to pass it sideways or back then punt it to nobody, we literally have no supply for goodie to work with. The players are at least trying but some just aren't good enough for this level I fear we are going to be on the end of a few 3-0s this season without immediate reinforcements from the loan market or shipping out some of the dross and finding players at this late stage that can play at this level again a difficult task with the budget probably spent.

We have the best striker in the league and should have been aiding and building a squad around him instead we've signed some players just not good enough I don't even know what the game plan is for some of the signings we've just plucked these guys out from nowhere and hoped to gel a team that can survive we can't sit back and defend for 90 mins we can't attack teams because our defence is ropey at best.

2 wins in 9 competitive matches with a draw and a defeat to 2 lower end lowland league sides

8 Goals scored 

16 conceded 

1 clean sheet

Enough said

Well said, pretty much sums up where we are - in the brown sticky stuff

56 minutes ago, DGW9 said:

My biggest concern is we are so slow in possession (that's if we actually make a pass and don't give it away) and don't have any pace in the squad, nobody willing to take risks quite happy to pass it sideways or back then punt it to nobody, we literally have no supply for goodie to work with. The players are at least trying but some just aren't good enough for this level I fear we are going to be on the end of a few 3-0s this season without immediate reinforcements from the loan market or shipping out some of the dross and finding players at this late stage that can play at this level again a difficult task with the budget probably spent.

We have the best striker in the league and should have been aiding and building a squad around him instead we've signed some players just not good enough I don't even know what the game plan is for some of the signings we've just plucked these guys out from nowhere and hoped to gel a team that can survive we can't sit back and defend for 90 mins we can't attack teams because our defence is ropey at best.

2 wins in 9 competitive matches with a draw and a defeat to 2 lower end lowland league sides

8 Goals scored 

16 conceded 

1 clean sheet

Enough said

As a footballer there is two key attributes you need - speed and skill

We only have one player that has both — DGW and even then I think he has lost half a yard which is to be expected

Two are paced - Cunningham and Cuddihy

The rest have neither and many are well below what is needed

Your stats are pretty damning

If you can’t keep clean sheets you are going to struggle-the clean sheet was against Stranraer where we should easily have conceded two or three

As you say if there was a game plan or structure then fair enough.  You could see yesterday Falkirk had a structure and plan to how they play

Whereas we in the other hand look like we are 11 guys who just rock up the day

I know they only have a few hours training each week but what do they actually practice.  It isn’t clearly throw ins, corners or how to move as a team

We're obviously not very good but we're not the only ones. East Fife only have one point, Peterhead one win in four, Dumbarton haven't won a game since beating us (I know that doesn't say much for us) and Alloa are likely to be inconsistent. 
We were obviously lucky to get anything against Montrose but Alloa didn't create many clear chances against us, and Mitchell arguably should have saved the shot they scored from. If we had used the ball better in the counter we could have scored a second earlier too IMO.
Clearly we need a replacement for Rumsby and, even then, we'll be battling to hold on in most games but we're far from the only poor side in the division.

There has always been poor sides in the league but we are this seasons Stranraer or Forfar. Our team is worse than the other poor sides which is no surprise considering the bulk of our signings were from league 2 or the Lowland league.

Here is another stat for the happy clappers to digest; We have had 8 shots on target in four games. 

I suppose they'd argue that given that on average you need just over 3 shots on target to score a goal, we are proving to be deadly.

We’ve kept on even the likes of Cuddihy who isn’t good enough in any position he plays. Rumsby’s ability to give away penalties is absolutely unrivalled, I’ve never seen a run of games where 1 player gives away so many. 

Fans didn’t go for 18 months, what is the incentive to go back regularly? We’ve stuck prices up and not improved the squad. Back to looking at moving elsewhere, constantly running up debts. 

There are always issues with the club and most of the time it is self inflicted. 

Out of the current squad I’d only keep Mitchell, Goodie, Love, Gomis and Eldson. 

I thought Cunningham was absolutely anonymous yesterday and gave the ball away repeatedly, as did most of the team tbf to him.

Cunningham hasn’t done enough in his time with us to get a new deal after the current one expires.

Judging by how things have went so far, it’ll be us, East Fife and Peterhead in the bottom three. Dumbarton won’t be far off either. I can’t see us being cut adrift at the bottom, more change of that happening to EF based on results so far. But we won’t be far away from them.

1 hour ago, Jack Burton said:

There has always been poor sides in the league but we are this seasons Stranraer or Forfar. Our team is worse than the other poor sides which is no surprise considering the bulk of our signings were from league 2 or the Lowland league.

I'm not saying it's beyond the possibility that we are that bad, I just think it's a fraction to early to say for sure.

There is an expression that if you think your street doesn't have a nutter living in it there a good chance you're the nutter.

Similarly, if you don't think there's a team in your League similar to the dreadful Stranraer or Forfar relegation fodder, there's a good chance you're the relegation fodder.

24 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

We’ve kept on even the likes of Cuddihy who isn’t good enough in any position he plays.

I'm on the level with everyone else insofar as I agree that there's been a decline in quality since we were promoted. I also agree that we've signed and re-signed some players that we shouldn't have. And there's not a lot of positivity in the reflection that sides like East Fife, Alloa and Peterhead might be poor enough to keep us afloat. It's an inherently negative reflection.

However I think we might be losing perspective if we start to think that a player like Barry Cuddihy isn't good enough. He is the most usefully versatile player we have because he's reasonably quick over a few yards, technically solid and a good user of the ball. He will have had around 200 senior appearances to his name by the time he turns 25. That shows. He plays with an experience and sensibility about his game which only two or three other players in the squad do. Players who're much older and more experienced than he is. And those players are players whose bodies won't let them work as hard and get about as quickly as Cuddihy can.

I think he's best in the middle of the park. But he's at risk of fading into the background because he can't run a midfield on his own. Although that's true of every other centre midfielder in the league. He may even become a victim of his own success insofar as he finds himself being played in different positions each week when we've nobody better to fill the gaps. He has his weaknesses of course. He's not the most aggressive player. And he's not the biggest or strongest either. But there are so few players in who all of Cuddihy's qualities and those other qualities are combined.

Remember this is also the player who wrestled Montrose's goalie to the ground a fortnight ago in order to get the ball back in play quickly so that we could go on and win the game.

28 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

I'm not saying it's beyond the possibility that we are that bad, I just think it's a fraction to early to say for sure.

As said earlier time to judge will be after the first quarter of games where everyone has played everyone else and we have seen what everyone has looked like.

To date I havent seen a team worse than us and seen two; Montrose and Falkirk who look like a league above us.

Edited by Bullyweeno1

1 hour ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Out of the current squad I’d only keep Mitchell, Goodie, Love, Gomis and Eldson. 

I thought Cunningham was absolutely anonymous yesterday and gave the ball away repeatedly, as did most of the team tbf to him.

Cunningham hasn’t done enough in his time with us to get a new deal after the current one expires.

Judging by how things have went so far, it’ll be us, East Fife and Peterhead in the bottom three. Dumbarton won’t be far off either. I can’t see us being cut adrift at the bottom, more change of that happening to EF based on results so far. But we won’t be far away from them.

Suppose it is all about opinions.

If you asked everyone to pick how many players out of the current squad you would keep i think most would struggle to list 5.

Think everyone would pick Mitchell and Goodie but after that would just be a selection based on personal opinion.

I wouldnt pick more than 5 and would go with Mitchell, Goodie, Cunningham, Cuddihy and Splaine.  That pretty damning out of a squad of 20 or so.  3 other marginals after that; Gomis, LIvingstone and Love.

Edited by Bullyweeno1

3 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Suppose it is all about opinions.

If you asked everyone to pick how many players out of the current squad you would keep i think most would struggle to list 5.

Think everyone would pick Mitchell and Goodie but after that would just be a selection based on personal opinion.

I wouldnt pick more than 5 and would go with Mitchell, Goodie, Cunningham, Cuddihy and Splaine.  That pretty damning out of a squad of 20 or so.

I forgot about Splaine as he was missing yesterday. Quite like the look of him so far. 

For me, Cunningham only seriously contributes every few games which isn’t good enough. Like you say, though, it’s all about opinions. 

I get that they rarely stand out but Cunningham and Cuddihy would slot seamlessly into the Montrose team which should be our benchmark at this level.

Apart from DGW and Mitchell, they'd not have a second look at any of our other players.

For the life of me, I just cannot get my head around our signings of Robert Jones, Rumsby, Docherty and Page.

Even as someone who is merely a fan, our performances this season were entirely predictable.

Either our football department is useless or they were trying to be too clever by half.

This isn't on the board, moving stadium, fickle fans, Covid or money.

Squad recruitment has been awful from Lennon and Diamond bordering on dereliction of responsibility towards the club and it's fans.

We could all see it coming. Why didn't the team management see it?

43 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

For the life of me, I just cannot get my head around our signings of Robert Jones, Rumsby, Docherty and Page.

Even as someone who is merely a fan, our performances this season were entirely predictable.

Either our football department is useless or they were trying to be too clever by half.

This isn't on the board, moving stadium, fickle fans, Covid or money.

Squad recruitment has been awful from Lennon and Diamond bordering on dereliction of responsibility towards the club and it's fans.

We could all see it coming. Why didn't the team management see it?

I agree re all those players bar Page. He’s hardly played due to injury. I’d be giving him more time to prove himself.

I agree re all those players bar Page. He’s hardly played due to injury. I’d be giving him more time to prove himself.
Fair enough. He's not played enough at Clyde to be judged

Although, why would Clyde sign a player who's not had a good season since he was an East Fife player? He left them in 2018.

Having looked at the opinions of the Brechin and Airdrie supporters since then I don't hold out much hope.

I hope I'm wrong.

It clear to absolutely everyone, except it seems to Management and recruitment team that we are quite simply not good enough. Not only our own fans, every other team we have played have pointed out the team’s faults and lack of ability of all the players except one!
Everyone can t be wrong! 

I’d say that it’s also clear that this squad will get relegated this year, an inevitable fact that the board must take full responsibility for. The appointment and direction of travel we embarked on with this so called football department has been a complete and total disaster. Either due to the incompetence of those appointed to do the job or the board not releasing funds or both. Again I say, if we are in financial trouble then you least let us know. If so then it’s in the open and not leaving supporters to have to speculate why we are in such a shambles on the park.

2 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

I forgot about Splaine as he was missing yesterday. Quite like the look of him so far. 

For me, Cunningham only seriously contributes every few games which isn’t good enough. Like you say, though, it’s all about opinions. 

Yeah agree probably 1 in 3 games that Cunningham contributes which better than a lot of the others

I also don’t think Mitchell can be too far away from the criticisms this season, he’s been poor. Over his time he has saved us plenty of points but we need that form back. 

Said it plenty times before but we have 2 guys getting paid for recruitment and if I done my job with such contempt I’d have been out on my arse long ago.