Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

58 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

How did Josh Bradley-Hurst look? Glad to see him finally making his debut up here after the tough time he's had over lockdown and then with injury.

It's like Mantis wrote. But insofar as there was anything memorable about his performance it was that he was very decisive in coming out to claim, dribble and clear one ball which got behind our sluggish centre backs and left a BSC player bearing down on him. On another occassion he might've made our supporters worry that he'd let one under him but in fact he smothered it well enough albeit he seemed to leave it late. This was all in the first half. Nothing comes to mind from the second half.

On what I've seen from him so far, which isn't much, I'd say that inexperience and height are probably the things that'll hold him back. As well having arguably the best and certainly one of the most experienced goalkeepers in the division to compete with in David Mitchell. Then again, that could work to his advantage insofar as he has a good role model and competition for a place.

What’s more the  whole club; players, staff and board should me made sit down and read every Tweet, forum post and newspaper report tonight at training!!
It’s embarrassing and although they may well be feeling some pain I’m sure it not as much as the well deserved slagging we have all had at work today.
Enough is enough!! Sort this while we still have some time!

I don't think this will improve player performance.
Sadly, I think most are already playing at their peak.

I also think that Danny is getting off lightly in the discussion of this season's performances.

If money is tight as people say, his job is to maximise the use of that money. Over the last few years he's shown an inability to do that.

It's been quite a while since we were promoted. When does that credit run out for Danny?

I genuinely don't think his signings could've been any worse never mind team selection or tactics.

20 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I don't think this will improve player performance.
Sadly, I think most are already playing at their peak.

I also think that Danny is getting off lightly in the discussion of this season's performances.

If money is tight as people say, his job is to maximise the use of that money. Over the last few years he's shown an inability to do that.

It's been quite a while since we were promoted. When does that credit run out for Danny?

I genuinely don't think his signings could've been any worse never mind team selection or tactics.

He’s not got much time left to go before the promotion season is too far in the past to rely upon when things are going shit. 

I think most of us expected to see some form of progression during our time in League 1. 
During the first season I’d say there was, last season we levelled off but this season we are definitely on a sharp decline.

Danny deserves the time to try and turn it around but finding the balance between giving him enough time and time running out and leaving it too late to change things is a very fine balance.

I can’t take another season in League 2…

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

I’m really disappointed and angry; we got out of jail last year by the skin of our teeth and as such I’m totally astounded they have allowed this situation to happen again, the fact those people who we trusted to avoid it have totally let us down, coupled with the fact they seem content to let it all slip away and communicate nothing is unacceptable and unforgivable. 

20 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Danny deserves the time to try and turn it around but finding the balance between giving him enough time and time running out and leaving it too late to change things is a very fine balance.

Turn what around? We haven’t looked handy in League 1 since we got promoted and have regressed every season since promotion. This is ultimately our ceiling in League 1 under the current regime, battling it out to stay in. 

Dannys signings have progressively got more erratic and bizzare every season. We have no idea what our brand of football is, and when we did have an idea we didn’t have anywhere near close to the personnel to execute.  

Realisticaly where do supporters expect our club to be in the modern game? Competitive In League 1? Championship? A league 2 team with the odd trip to League 1? Given by our fans reaction to just barely surviving last year and applauding the team and manager out etc then you would think that was a success. No wonder the ambition is to do it again 

In 5 years where do fans expect us to be?

Edited by Ocelot1877

If we don't get relegated this season it will be a miracle. Don't give me this positive bullshite. We are awful. We cannot expect to compete with a squad filled up with bottom half L2 players. I sound doom and gloom don't I? But what is there to be happy about 🙃

27 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Turn what around? We haven’t looked handy in League 1 since we got promoted and have regressed every season since promotion.

Realisticaly where do supporters expect our club to be in the modern game? Competitive In League 1? Championship? A league 2 team with the odd trip to League 1?

Agree with what you say.  We have got worse season on season over the last 3 years.

I dont expect them to be challenging for promotion but would expect the aim is to progress year on year.

The first season back in L1 the 3 wins before lockdown masked what was to then a poor campaign (6 league wins out of 25) and as we all know we just managed to avoid the playoffs last year which if we had been in I wouldnt have expected us to come through.

Personally i would say we are league 2 team with the odd trip to League 1.

Without DGW we wouldnt be in L1 as he scored 25 from 32 games in 2019/20 and 14 from 24 games in 2020/21 a ratio of just over 2 goals ever 3 games.  That is great going in any league and especially in a team at the bottom end of the league.

We only have 3 players in that squad worth keeping and the club is in such a fucking state off the park that the only way is down.
The club is being run into to the ground regardless if its volunteers. We have a recruitment team picking up wages for the square foot of f**k all because based on their targets so far I think I am as qualified as them.

Unless something drastic and I mean massively drastic then last nights game will be a league fixture in a couple years....or we will be bust. There are bags of teams investing below us either trying to come through the pyramid or avoid the trap door, whereas we seem to stagnating and just letting ourselves free fall. We don't have the cushion we had before when we plummeted down the leagues.

Lennon, I love the guy for getting us up but if he can honestly say that's the best he can sign then its concerning and maybe times up. The constant 'put a good spin on defeat' is ok sometimes but not when being pummeled by non league teams.

I'd say Lennon probably has about 5 games before everyone really gets on his back and have no idea who we would even be able to get in. The club is such a mess that I wouldn't blame any manager laughing and walking away at being the coach here. The board are a shambles and its showing top to bottom.

1 hour ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Turn what around? We haven’t looked handy in League 1 since we got promoted and have regressed every season since promotion. This is ultimately our ceiling in League 1 under the current regime, battling it out to stay in. 

Dannys signings have progressively got more erratic and bizzare every season. We have no idea what our brand of football is, and when we did have an idea we didn’t have anywhere near close to the personnel to execute.  

Realisticaly where do supporters expect our club to be in the modern game? Competitive In League 1? Championship? A league 2 team with the odd trip to League 1? Given by our fans reaction to just barely surviving last year and applauding the team and manager out etc then you would think that was a success. No wonder the ambition is to do it again 

In 5 years where do fans expect us to be?

You’ve answered your own question I think. I don’t think we went back the way during our first season back in league one but since then it’s been a decline. And a sharper one this year.

I think our first year in league 1 we were competitive and before it got cut short were on a bit of a run and had pulled away from the bottom. I said then we had to stay up and stabilise in league 1.

We stayed up but haven’t stabilised as such, I really question Diamond and Corr’s employment because they don’t seem to have brought much, or any benefit. Lennon will obviously take some of the flack for that as well though. 

I think we should be a safe mid table league 1 club looking to progress into the championship, but we are a good bit off of that at the moment. We’d need to be looking at going full time before becoming realistic championship stayers. 

Right. Having let the dust settle on last night here's my tuppence-worth.

There are only four reasons Lennon could have for picking the team he did. None of these are mutually exclusive. One is that he underestimated BSC. Another is that we have unreported injury problems. A third is that he overrates the ability and versatility of the players he has signed. And the fourth is that we treated the fixture with calculated contempt. That is, because the risk-reward trade-off of the challenge cup is a bad one. Maybe not even enough to risk players who we want to be sharp against Alloa on Saturday. Alloa haven't had a midweek fixture of course so the fourth reason is the one I could just about accept.

Judging by his post-match comments it certainly appears as though the third reason applies. However much hunger and apparent ability Andrew, McGrath, Mortimer, Docherty, Cunningham and Jones have shown in training, none showed up well last night. Only Jones comes close to having some utility as a league one player in the short term. And that's if he is given a very limited brief in a team that works hard around him.

The quality gap between senior part-time football and the likes of the lowland league is increasingly small and has always been capable of being bridged by well motivated sides with a home advantage. But assuming my calculated contempt reason doesn't apply, what really stings about last night is that the players, shape and blatantly daft system which we ran with would have produced an even worse result in scoreline terms had we played a decent junior side like Beith. Or even a decent amateur side like Colville Park. Think about it. BSC's centre backs had as easy a shift as they ever will. Other than five or six headers which they had to contest with Jones they came under no pressure in possession at all and were seldom even made to move about to track runs across, behind or in front of them. That fact alone condems our approach to last night's match.

Whether it was the manifest silliness of Love and Nicoll as some deep-lying double act, the use of our second-choice full-backs, the use of McGrath as a midfielder, the obvious lack of any particular ploy to score a goal, the silence on the pitch and from the dugout or anything else, the whole thing was a rammy. We played with a giant centre forward and barely sent in a cross until the last ten minutes. Even up until the whistle, we doggedly tried to play through a side with every man behind the ball on one of the tightest pitches there is. No pace. No hold-up play. Nothing resembling menace.

We haven't won in six. We're taking in strays. We've no clear system of play. For my money, Danny has the rest of the month to save his job. Picking up fewer than three points from the next three would make it very difficult to stay in his corner.

1 hour ago, Clydeside said:

For my money, Danny has the rest of the month to save his job. Picking up fewer than three points from the next three would make it very difficult to stay in his corner.

Would agree that Danny has until the end of the month before comes under real pressure

Next 3 games are

Alloa H

Falkirk A

Cove H

I struggle to see us getting 1 point let alone 3 from those 3 games

2 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

How straightforward is it to get a ticket for tomorrow's game against Alloa Athletic?

There's no information on the club website or on social media.

They'll be a ticket booth open buy your ticket there then head for the designated turnstile

1 minute ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

How straightforward is it to get a ticket for tomorrow's game against Alloa Athletic?

There's no information on the club website or on social media.

Its pay at the gate (sort of). Contactless or if using cash then pick up a ticket from the wee window to the left of the main entrance. 

Edited by C. Muir