Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

In an interview with Graham Diamond shortly after his appointment he stated,

"For the medium term, it is my ambition to have the club challenging for the Championship, playing attractive and attacking football. Led by Danny, we can have a level of improvement year on year with the development of young, fresh, hungry, exciting, talented players who the fans can relate to and enjoy coming to see every game.”

How's that going Graham?

It's seems fitting that we're becoming a shambles on the pitch to match our nonsense off the pitch as well.

I've generally tried not to comment on the board much over the years because, to a large extent, they do a thankless task. Now however, I just try not to think about them because their actions of late and lack of communication just make me incredibly angry.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

On the subject of signings, I think that we will struggle to get 90 minutes out of Gomis. That he is a cracking midfielder is without doubt.  But I do wonder with him being that bit older if he goes in to tackles thinking that he will win them, but his legs have other ideas?   I think that discipline will be a real issue for him, and I can see him getting hooked a good few times before he gets sent off.  IIRC, he has had a yellow card in most games so far?

11 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

It's seems fitting that we're becoming a shambles on the pitch to match our nonsense off the pitch as well.

I've generally tried not to comment on the board much over the years because, to a large extent, they do a thankless task. Now however, I just try not to think about them because their actions of late and lack of communication just make me incredibly angry.

I haven't noticed anything unusual - what does this refer to? 

12 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

As someone else posted not sure what you are referring too?  New directors appointments?

The recent zoom call with members and what was spoke about indicated more communication will be expected in future not less

Like yourself I wouldn’t criticise the board as it is a thankless task requiring many hours for no/little reward 

If anyone wants to criticise then fair enough but they should be willing to put themselves forward if they think they can do a better job

It easy to criticise but not to have any solution 

Edited by Bullyweeno1

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

I haven't noticed anything unusual - what does this refer to? 

By late I really meant the last couple of years, rather than weeks/months, but it's the accumulation of issues that get to me.

Things that spring to mind include building up stupid levels of debt to get promoted, the Norrie Innes debacle, not informing members of directors who've been appointed (a suspiciously short time after an AGM at that), choosing not to answer the presubmitted questions during the finance Zoom meeting (despite the last few minutes having little content and no specific time limit mentioned previously), no further Zoom meetings planned 3 months down the line despite suggestions they could become a regular occurrence, giving no notice that fans wouldn't be able to use their season ticket balance for merchandise from the RJM store and the scandalous removal of the owners Q&A section (justified on the utter nonsense that one or two people on the Owners forum didn't like/accept the answers they were given). Unfortantely, there are probably plenty more examples you could include beyond the above.

Then, personally, I was filled with utter dread at the announcement they were going to start looking at relocation options again. Apart from the fact all reasonable options have been looked at before, I can pretty much guarantee every board we've had recently would just swap their constant line of "supporters don't appreciate how little money we can make at Broadwood" to "supporters don't understand how expensive it is to run/own a stadium". We'd probably end up marginally better off but it would be unlikely to be life changing. I'd much rather they spent their time and efforts ingraining us more into the Cumbernauld community, in spite of limited success with previous attempts (though they were mostly given up far too quickly), and I'm not even from Cumbernauld. 

Edited by Jaggy Snake

54 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

If anyone wants to criticise then fair enough but they should be willing to put themselves forward if they think they can do a better job

It easy to criticise but not to have any solution 

This isn’t a dig at yourself or any other fan that thinks this way, however Iv seen this statement given over and over again with regards to the board. They should absolutely be criticised fairly and when due, at times they have operated very poorly and costly to the club and have got away with their actions without repercussions. I understand it’s a voluntary role etc but that doesn’t excuse anything in my opinion, the board has been a boys club and a closed shop for years. 

This is the equivalent of saying if I go to the cinema and I see a really bad movie that I should only be able to criticise it if I’m willing to then direct a Hollywood blockbuster movie of my own. 

I'm not an owner/member but when was the last time someone was proposed for board membership at the AGM that was unsuccessful at the vote?

The board members put themselves up, get criticised, make mistakes but do what many are unable or unwilling to do.

Is there any alternative to the current board? Is there anyone in the wings wanting to join the board?

There's plenty of critics (justifiably) but ultimately no alternatives.

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

Is there any alternative to the current board? Is there anyone in the wings wanting to join the board?

The club have said numerous times that The fans are the main source of income for the club and we run basically a charity, yet there is zero fan group representation of the board. Members of the board get co opted on in secret and fans have to find out about it through other sources despite being fan owned. 

People that are maybe able to add quality never seem to last long on the board. Ian Fitzpatrick an example of a guy who wanted to try different things and ultimately had a short tenure and walked into a position at another club operating at our level. 

The ownership is ultimately a joke and nothing more than a scheme to get money at this stage. 

There is something pretty rotten at the core of this club. I’m not someone Who believes we should be back up in the championship competing, I feel we should be operating safely in league 1 with the occasional trip into playoff territory.  That’s is what I believe is our level in the modern game. It’s not being delivered and hasn’t been for over a decade now. 

Going forward what are the alternatives? For me it’s having fan representation on the board, annual or bi annual review of board members performance, new channels of open communication, interviewing people and having active searches for people who would be interested in joining the board. I for one can’t believe there is no individual in the whole country that can add something to our board and wants to do it. Surely there are people out there who want to work within the football industry with skills that can benefit us. There simply has to be. We also need a complete from the ground up review of the fan ownership. 

12 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

The club have said numerous times that The fans are the main source of income for the club and we run basically a charity, yet there is zero fan group representation of the board. Members of the board get co opted on in secret and fans have to find out about it through other sources despite being fan owned. 

People that are maybe able to add quality never seem to last long on the board. Ian Fitzpatrick an example of a guy who wanted to try different things and ultimately had a short tenure and walked into a position at another club operating at our level. 

The ownership is ultimately a joke and nothing more than a scheme to get money at this stage. 

There is something pretty rotten at the core of this club. I’m not someone Who believes we should be back up in the championship competing, I feel we should be operating safely in league 1 with the occasional trip into playoff territory.  That’s is what I believe is our level in the modern game. It’s not being delivered and hasn’t been for over a decade now. 

Going forward what are the alternatives? For me it’s having fan representation on the board, annual or bi annual review of board members performance, new channels of open communication, interviewing people and having active searches for people who would be interested in joining the board. I for one can’t believe there is no individual in the whole country that can add something to our board and wants to do it. Surely there are people out there who want to work within the football industry with skills that can benefit us. There simply has to be. We also need a complete from the ground up review of the fan ownership. 

I couldn't agree more. its not a ownership its a membership. Their has been and must be people who could sort this mess out but will they work with the current board members that's the real issue. Why have we had so many come and go in recent years?.

Those seats on the bench must be comfy DL never moved once during play of 90 plus minutes. We have Neil Diamond or whatever he is called sitting their with him. This guy, football director or whatever his role is now, he has had at least 2 positions since he appeared picking up a wage doing what I would love to know. We have PJ Duncan chief scout picking a wage up, he is doing a grand job as well. Allan Moore on holiday I was told on Saturday FFS really.

My first game of the season and my last. DL has lost the plot DGW a left wing back pmsl.

Everyone wondering why we are mess, its obvious look at the board what outside real investment have they been able to acquire  in the last 5 to 10 years.

We are heading one way down. 

Edited by GYSPY ARMY

14 hours ago, Fast_Action said:

On the subject of signings, I think that we will struggle to get 90 minutes out of Gomis. That he is a cracking midfielder is without doubt.  But I do wonder with him being that bit older if he goes in to tackles thinking that he will win them, but his legs have other ideas?   I think that discipline will be a real issue for him, and I can see him getting hooked a good few times before he gets sent off.  IIRC, he has had a yellow card in most games so far?

Gomis was one of our better players last year but almost every game after about an hour he seemed to run out of steam ( understandable due to his age) but it would never stop him being rash and going for tackles he probably shouldn’t. He loves a yellow card. 

I agree with all of the previous summations of the CIC model.. it being a membership as opposed to ownership is spot on.

I did not renew this year, I have been an “owner” since day one and even previously when we were another version, was that Supporters Trust?  can’t remember. Anyway, I decided that my 40  quid was better spent in extra lottery and some stuff out the shop along with season ticket obviously.

the ownership is a nonsense, in our current situation owners  should be able to ask the questions stated in all the previous posts I.e what is recruitment process etc what the other 2 guys Diamond and PJ whoever actually do or in fact it seems they are incompetent do there is the door. Also not have to wait till a zoom meeting next December to get any sort of one way information delivery.  We need answers on direction now!

if we are finically fecked then at least tell us.. we have put up with the £20 a week player before but at least we knew and we’re all in it together. 

As stated before we are this seasons Forfar, Stranraer or dare I say it Brechin City. Deep deep trouble no matter what might be said about it’s just  one game! 

6 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

As stated before we are this seasons Forfar, Stranraer or dare I say it Brechin City. Deep deep trouble no matter what might be said about it’s just  one game! 

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly.  People saying it’s just one game is using a straw man arguement. The writing has been on the wall for years, the excitement around the promotion to league 1 evaporated quickly when we all realised we weren’t going to be competitive. We have been lucky that there have been teams that have been slightly worse than us in previous seasons.

The board situation clearly needs resolved ASAP but I doubt that’s going to happen anytime soon. Imo, we should have a mixture of youth and experience on the board. We’ll have the experienced heads to handle the more complicated situations and then we have some youth (21+) to handle the fan aspect. Being in that youth aspect myself I feel I’d have a much better understanding in what the fans want and what we need as a club compared to some of the old duffers that currently sit in that boardroom. The best example to look at is some of the lower league clubs, quite a few are renovating stadiums, getting communities involved and they’re all taking time to rebuild the club they all love to get them into the big leagues and I think that’s what we’re crying out for. We need people on the board who know the club inside out and who want the best for fans/players/staff/community and the club moving forward. A bit intervention is needed from the fans to get things changed otherwise we’re in big big trouble. 

7 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

This isn’t a dig at yourself or any other fan that thinks this way, however Iv seen this statement given over and over again with regards to the board. They should absolutely be criticised fairly and when due, at times they have operated very poorly and costly to the club and have got away with their actions without repercussions. I understand it’s a voluntary role etc but that doesn’t excuse anything in my opinion, the board has been a boys club and a closed shop for years. 

This is the equivalent of saying if I go to the cinema and I see a really bad movie that I should only be able to criticise it if I’m willing to then direct a Hollywood blockbuster movie of my own. 

All I was saying it is easy to have a go at the board.  I know I wouldnt want to do it for the flak that they get.

Sure the director of the hollywood blockbuster is earning more than than our directors for their role. 

If they were getting paid  handsomely for what they are doing then sure, they are open to all criticism. 

If you think you can do a better job then put yourself forward as I am sure they would be open to additional support.

PS, i have no allegience to any board member and dont know any of them personally.  I just know from being in business myself that having a dig at a voluntary board member is just a cheap shot.

7 hours ago, haufdaft said:

I'm not an owner/member but when was the last time someone was proposed for board membership at the AGM that was unsuccessful at the vote?

The board members put themselves up, get criticised, make mistakes but do what many are unable or unwilling to do.

Agree with all this.

Unfortunately I dont think there is anyone in the wings wanting to join the board and drive things forward as if there was it would be relatively easy for them to do so.

5 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Agree would be good to have a fan representation on the board but someone needs to put themselves forward, attend all the board meetings and then report back to the fan base.  That is a part time job in itself. 

Yes there will be people who want to work in football industry with skills that can benefit us.  But they wont do it free and would be looking to get paid for them time and expertise and unfortunately this is where the problem lies. 

I  for instance would like to see they club take on say a new graduate with a marketing/sales degree and employee them at minimum salary which would probably be £15k per year with the carrot that for every £1 in additional revenue they can generate they get a 25% commission.  So if they can generate the £100k in income the club keeps £75k and they get £25k so have a salary of £40k. 

37 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

All I was saying it is easy to have a go at the board.  I know I wouldnt want to do it for the flak that they get.

Sure the director of the hollywood blockbuster is earning more than than our directors for their role. 

If they were getting paid  handsomely for what they are doing then sure, they are open to all criticism. 

If you think you can do a better job then put yourself forward as I am sure they would be open to additional support.

PS, i have no allegience to any board member and dont know any of them personally.  I just know from being in business myself that having a dig at a voluntary board member is just a cheap shot.

Appreciate your reply, however I wholeheartedly disagree with the position that they are volunteers and therefore can’t be criticised. Being a volunteer simply doesn’t buy you a free pass. 

ETA: I’m talking about valid criticisms, not personal, angry over the top abuse here. Obviously that behaviour is out of order

Edited by Ocelot1877