Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

At which point do we start holding Danny responsible for many of the faults in the team?

Rumsby, Docherty, Jones and Mortimer being constantly slaughtered for being poor.

Danny signed them all up for this season. The vast majority of fans knew they weren't good enough for League One as each were announced. And I'm not even mentioning the dross being kept out of the squad by the players mentioned.

For example, no one, absolutely no one thought Jones was a striker of any quality. We sign him and move Goodwillie out wide to play Jones at the centre.

To be honest, I've never had much confidence in Danny's eye for a player. Good signings are in the minority in his time with Clyde.

So much wasted money and effort

It was really flat today doesn't help scoring OGs so early in the game, Jones should be an option from the bench at best we should be starting Cunningham DGW and Love the midfield needs to be more aggressive and the defence needs alot of work hopefully we sign a CB soon Page being in a moonboot looks like he'll be out for a while.

We'll need to really up our performance levels ahead of a really tough game against Montrose next week 

47 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

At which point do we start holding Danny responsible for many of the faults in the team?

Rumsby, Docherty, Jones and Mortimer being constantly slaughtered for being poor.

Danny signed them all up for this season. The vast majority of fans knew they weren't good enough for League One as each were announced. And I'm not even mentioning the dross being kept out of the squad by the players mentioned.

For example, no one, absolutely no one thought Jones was a striker of any quality. We sign him and move Goodwillie out wide to play Jones at the centre.

To be honest, I've never had much confidence in Danny's eye for a player. Good signings are in the minority in his time with Clyde.

The fans will soon start turning on him if they keep on performing like that.

2 hours ago, haufdaft said:

At which point do we start holding Danny responsible for many of the faults in the team.

Folk, myself included, have been harping on about the recruitment record since it became evident that Chris Johnston, Darren Smith and Tony Wallace weren't going to do much at all in a Clyde shirt. Even before then there were questions over the retention of Lyon, the two-year deal for Rumsby, Petkov on loan etc and there'd been some dross further back too (but, crucially, an impressive first XI to lock them out). 

I'm certain I've covered this before, but the players we've signed and the fashion in which we've signed them (after having a look on trial) both smack of complete desperation. For all the bluster about each player fitting into what he wants, there is a significant contingent of hodge-podge guff throughout that squad that, no matter where and how utilised, don't fit into one cohesive system which will improve us versus last season. My favourite part of that overtly optimistic (if not deluded) bluster was about Billy Mortimer:

"We’ve been looking for a right back with a lot of pace and energy. One that will neutralise the wide threats of the opposition all day long. We also want good technical ability in that key position and that spark in the modern full back to make things happen when called upon, whether it’s lifting their head to make a penetrating pass, make the kind of runs that cause the opposition problems, and very importantly, can make good deliveries into the box.

“Billy ticks all these boxes. We’ve done our due diligence on him, watched videos of his play, spoke with previous coaches, had him in for training and practice matches. We are very excited by what he can bring to the team in a very key area."

Billy, I'm afraid, ticks none of those boxes.

We clearly don't have a big budget, but Dumbarton and East Fife won't either. Do we simply have far too much of it tied up in the likes of Lennon, Goodwillie and Mitchell? Why, when so many talk about Danny Lennon's full-time attitude to the job, is he continually so bad at recruiting players? I heard a story a while back about a failed pursuit of Mark McGuigan soon after he fell out of favour at Stenny upon Davie Irons' return. Admittedly this is tantamount to third-hand information, but what I was told is that McGuigan was very interested until Danny had a phone call with him and spent the entire time talking about what a pleasure and privilege it would be for McGuigan to have the chance to play with Goodwillie. If that is spot-on, I can see why he'd struggle to sell the club and his vision to players with that kind of patter.

So many of the good players we've had seem to have fallen into our lap, if they weren't already at the club. Mitchell was brought in by Chris Fahey, Boyle and Cogill (despite both ultimately not working out) were one-offs from, I believe, a Moore connection at Huddersfield. Grant and McStay were both likely a result of Celtic connections (perhaps even Diamond himself), as the latter had been on trial there before winding up at us following a tip-off. Lang was tried everywhere but centre-back and only got a gig there after Cogill got injured before establishing himself as fantastic. Love has a great character (in terms of football, of course) and has given us many great and important moments but he's never really excelled consistently for us. Rankin, hardly a secret, was well-known by Goodwillie and in the papers a fair bit about his next move. Syvertsen is another who landed in our lap after a chance meeting in a church and a failed trial at Hamilton. Who else have we got after that? Howie was a decent player and grew into an important one for us, but for whatever reason couldn't be retained. Cunningham and Livingstone were good additions on loan, the former a talented but frustrating player but over the past season we've not played to his strengths whatsoever. The latter now appears to have something of an attitude problem which has Lennon believing that it's better to hang Docherty, and by extension the team, out to dry instead. Some loan pick-ups were good last season but that was probably a result of the law of averages more than anything else.

Overall, it's just not good enough and it's made all the more galling by the fact that we have actual paid employees now who were specifically brought in to improve the situation, but have abjectly failed at doing so. Unless today was just some complete anomaly then things are going to get very toxic pretty quickly with consistent showings like that one. DL can't live forever off eighteen great months which ended over two years ago. The big fear I have is that the damage is already done and neither he, nor anybody else, will be able to step in and save us this season.

Edited by the_bully_wee

Do any Clyde fans have any idea what you pay Goodwillie? He should be the guy your team is built around, I don't doubt that Faz and Baresi were delighted when Jones was announced today, it just seems mad to change your team to accommodate a donkey like that. Goodwillie is easily dealt with out wide, if he's the highest paid player it seems terrible management. 

Today shouldn't come as a surprise; we have been nothing short of awful since we got promoted. We have steadily been getting worse. Last season it was blatant even from Pixie Lott's blurry viewing, but the first season we were first promoted the wee run of three wins before the lockdown struck covered up the fact we had just gone through a run of 2 wins in 14 league games. We only won a couple of away games the whole, curtailed season.

There can be moans about the board, money etc. Danny Lennon's record in the transfer market is scandalously bad, this summer being a new low. You could pick a couple of posters off here who would have done a better job. Regardless of money we should have been able to bring in 3 or 4 good L1 players. Balatoni (who contacted DL himself) has made a mistake in every game, Gomis (who DL managed before) clearly can't play in a "2" and Livingstone (who DL managed before)  is nowhere near as good as people make him out to be. And they're the best of an awful bunch. Jones, McGrath, Andrew, Mortimer, Docherty.... would stink the place out in the worst Duffy teams. What is more, that was clear before they signed.

I think it is even more worrying that there is no obvious game plan on the pitch. We didn't press, we didn't drop tight and deep, we didn't pass the ball, we didn't punt it long. We lost the second goal because we were busy moving Goodwillie out to play on the left wing! We clearly didn't have a clue if we were allowed to make more substitutions. An absolute mess from top to bottom. 

Unless we have money to sign a rightback and two more centrebacks (which we clearly wont) I struggle to see anything but relegation this season. Balatoni has been miles off it so far and I'm being generous to Livingstone in suggesting he doesn't need replaced too. Page was limping badly just walking around before the match so surely we're not planning a season with only 2 fit centrebacks anyway?

I actually didn't mind the signing of Jones but he should only ever have been for a different option off the bench, in the last 10-20 minutes of games. Starting our first league game, at home, with him up front is a woeful decision.

With Gomis, Splaine, Cuddihy, Kennedy, Cunningham, Love and Goodwillie we should be capable of forming a passable midfield and attack. That will be utterly pointless though with the absolute shambles behind them. 

2 hours ago, haufdaft said:

The buck stops with Danny

His aftermatch comments he apologised to the fans to say was unacceptable  - so what next.  Unfortunately can’t see anything but relegation with this group of players.  Drastic action is needed and needed now

Can’t really be a surprise as a blind man could see it coming after the league cup performances which were all hopeless 

Like yourself I question Danny’s ability to spot a player as if you think that Jones, Docherty, Mortimer are players then you have to question someone’s ability

Could go back over the years that Danny has been with us and list all the duds and there would be plenty of them

If Danny isn’t getting his first choices then let us know as if he has signed his first choices then he can’t spot a player

I struggle to think of a non experienced player he has signed that has been any good other than Lang

1 hour ago, David W said:

Today shouldn't come as a surprise; we have been nothing short of awful since we got promoted. We have steadily been getting worse. Last season it was blatant even from Pixie Lott's blurry viewing, but the first season we were first promoted the wee run of three wins before the lockdown struck covered up the fact we had just gone through a run of 2 wins in 14 league games. We only won a couple of away games the whole, curtailed season.

There can be moans about the board, money etc. Danny Lennon's record in the transfer market is scandalously bad, this summer being a new low. You could pick a couple of posters off here who would have done a better job. Regardless of money we should have been able to bring in 3 or 4 good L1 players. Balatoni (who contacted DL himself) has made a mistake in every game, Gomis (who DL managed before) clearly can't play in a "2" and Livingstone (who DL managed before)  is nowhere near as good as people make him out to be. And they're the best of an awful bunch. Jones, McGrath, Andrew, Mortimer, Docherty.... would stink the place out in the worst Duffy teams. What is more, that was clear before they signed.

I think it is even more worrying that there is no obvious game plan on the pitch. We didn't press, we didn't drop tight and deep, we didn't pass the ball, we didn't punt it long. We lost the second goal because we were busy moving Goodwillie out to play on the left wing! We clearly didn't have a clue if we were allowed to make more substitutions. An absolute mess from top to bottom. 

Have to agree with everything you say

Danny over the last couple of years has been living off the promotion season.

We haven’t improved over the last couple of years

last year was worse than they year before and this season is shaping up to be the same

Dannys sign record over the years had been abysmal

I think he only has the next 5 games to turn things around and don’t see him doing so unless we get other players in which probably isn’t possible 

1 hour ago, David W said:

How do we know Balatoni contacted Lennon himself?

Biggest issue for me is that it was glaringly obvious last year what our problems were. We didn’t have full backs worthy of the name and ended up with square pegs in round holes (eg McNiff at LB). We also were weak in the middle and had nobody to replace McStay and, in particular, Grant. Gomis I think will be a good signing (once he stops giving the ball away under no pressure), but the rest to date are, at best, no better than we had. Some are comfortable worse than we had. To think we canned McNiff as CB/LB in favour of someone like Docherty is truly astounding.  
The body language of Lennon has been mentioned and I think there’s something in that. I remember saying to my son towards the end of last season that, from what we could see on various streams, Danny looked like he wasn’t into it any more. Sat in the dugout and rarely got to his feet. Serious questions are also being asked over his ability to build a team. Cracking guy though he is, these questions are absolutely reasonable. 
Pains me to say this, but if we find ourselves rock bottom as we approach the end of the first round of games, it might be the time to look elsewhere. I just hope to f**k he proves me wrong and rams my doubts well and truly down my throat. 

11 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

How do we know Balatoni contacted Lennon himself?

He was on the Clyde podcast last week and he explained how the transfer came about

He contacted Danny after as he knew McNiff and Howie had left and thought they would be looking for central defenders

…….yeah I couldn’t believe it either!!!!!!!

Edited by Bullyweeno1

4 minutes ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

He was on the Clyde podcast last week and he explained how the transfer came about

He contacted Danny after as he knew McNiff and Howie had left and thought they would be looking for central defenders

Fair enough, didn’t know how that has came into being public knowledge. Probably not something I’d have put out there mind you. 

It's not just the make up of the squad that is a worry but also the blatant formation and tactical errors.

Based on what we have it should be Livingstone at left back, a midfield 3 and Goodwillie up top. The fact we started with none of those 3 is utterly ridiculous.

Got a question for our fans. Genuine curiosities.

Have we been regressing as a club both on and off the park since the promotion season? 

If the answer is yes, why do we think that is? Is it recruitment? Reaching a ceiling in terms of how far we can go in the modern era? 

Personally I feel our promotion winning team would cuff our current squad. 

Genuinely curious to see how fans feel on this. 

Edited by Ocelot1877

14 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Got a question for our fans. Genuine curiosities.

Have we been regressing as a club both on and off the park since the promotion season? 

If the answer is yes, why do we think that is? Is it recruitment? Reaching a ceiling in terms of how far we can go in the modern era? 

Personally I feel our promotion winning team would cuff our current squad. 

Genuinely curious to see how fans feel on this. 

Definitely at our weakest point now from when we got promoted.