Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

57 minutes ago, shawfielder said:

We’ve had some Full backs, anyone remember Andrew Traub , if I remember right Colin Hendry signed him from Celtic, dumped him after a couple of games.

Aye, he wasn't up to much was he? I think he was a centre back though. Craig Potter was the full back. Both players that instantly looked out of their depth.

1 hour ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Michael Oliver is one of the worst players I’ve seen in my lifetime at Clyde.

1 minute ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Over both spells. Rubbish as an attacker, rubbish as a defender.

He was bad but I could name about 10 or 20 worse without much of a problem. What a crock of diddies we've had play for us over my time supporting.

3 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

He was bad but I could name about 10 or 20 worse without much of a problem. What a crock of diddies we've had play for us over my time supporting.

An absolutely fair point but I’m having Oliver as one of the worst because he signed for us twice, playing at a different end of the park each time, and was mince at both. So it’s like a 2-for-1.

1 minute ago, Brian Carrigan said:

An absolutely fair point but I’m having Oliver as one of the worst because he signed for us twice, playing at a different end of the park each time, and was mince at both. So it’s like a 2-for-1.

Maybe didn't come with much expectation though due to the level he was previously playing at (both times)? Different from the likes of a John Kane or Kevin Finlayson who came in with plenty of experience and pedigree and ended up being utter charlatans.

Mind Duffy started playing Gavin Brown at left back to accommodate Kane? :lol:

To be fair to Oliver, he was sought after by other senior clubs before returning to Clyde. And more than that, he was very visibly a better player then. He'd obviously done a lot of gym work to put on the muscle he had when he came back.

I don't buy the worst player patter. We've had twenty, maybe thirty worse that I could name. He had nothing about him in his first spell. I think everyone agrees about that. But he didn't get a decent run in the team second time round. When he did, he showed some decent qualities as a defender. He was aggressive about his tackling, strong and decent on the ball. He was never the quickest player mind you and in beefing up he probably lost another yard. Didn't have enough about him to be a centre back in the seniors I thought. Especially because he wasn't the tallest.

Mortimer is certainly more athletic than Oliver, I'll say that for him. But I've noticed that he goes to ground to tackle awfully quickly and in other ways he doesn't look like he's had a lot of experience as a defender.

It does speak volumes about our sourcing of full backs and defenders generally in the recent past that we distinguish them by how one was 'less bad' than the others.

I remember being 13 and being ecstatic we had signed Bryan Dingwall as I was aware him being absolutely prolific for Pollok. After a pre-season goal against Everton XI I was convinced that he would take the Third Division by storm. Didn’t quite work out that way, unfortunately. Although, I’m sure he did score quite a nice goal against Albion Rovers for his one and only competitive goal for us.

At least it was obvious that Dingwall had been a player, he was just finished when he came to us.

Others like those mentioned before were anything like players capable of playing even in L2 at the time.  Depressing just thinking about it; Dan Kirkup, Casey, Gair etc…

Oh my God!

3 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

At least it was obvious that Dingwall had been a player, he was just finished when he came to us.

Others like those mentioned before were anything like players capable of playing even in L2 at the time.  Depressing just thinking about it; Dan Kirkup, Casey, Gair etc…

Oh my God!

Kirkup was with us in the Championship as well! 

3 hours ago, Jack Phillips said:

Ross Millen and Scott Mcmann as well, they have very much came onto a game since they have left us. Both starting in the Premiership with Killie and Accies.

I remember McMann being quite good for us. He was just surrounded by absolute clowns.

remember Millen being one of the better ones at the time he was with us, too.