Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

What really irritates me is that in last 3 seasons the issues with the side are blindingly obvious and the fix is also obvious and indeed I’d argue pretty straightforward. If we needed a goal scorer then fair enough, they are like gold dust but we don’t, far from it we have a guy who normally start as first choice in 90% or the teams I the country! 

But a capable lower league defender? There are tons of them!! Got my season ticket again as usual but zero enthusiasm for this season

Danny's post match comments  occasionally have only a distant relationship with reality, but I thought I caught him saying that we only conceded cheap goals rather than well worked goals.  That said to me that he recognises that our defence is "frail".

The first step in making changes, is identifying the issues.  Hopefully, this means that he sees that we have not recruited well.  I hope and pray that he acts on this by upgrading our fullbacks.  I think you can still get a refund from poundland...

I'd like to see us try a 3-5-2. A third central defender could compensate for how slow we are back there. It'd mean we could get Cuddihy and Livingstone working up and down the pitch. It'd also mean we could have three central midfielders too which I think we need because of the imbalance any two would saddle us with. And most importantly for me, we could play two up and not have teams walking into our half. An old school  pairing of Goodwillie and Jones or Love would, I think, see us in our strongest form. We'd almost certainly be harder to beat that way. And we'd be an awkward proposition for any defence.

1 hour ago, Clydeside said:

I'd like to see us try a 3-5-2. A third central defender could compensate for how slow we are back there. It'd mean we could get Cuddihy and Livingstone working up and down the pitch. It'd also mean we could have three central midfielders too which I think we need because of the imbalance any two would saddle us with. And most importantly for me, we could play two up and not have teams walking into our half. An old school  pairing of Goodwillie and Jones or Love would, I think, see us in our strongest form. We'd almost certainly be harder to beat that way. And we'd be an awkward proposition for any defence.

This is definitely worth trying. Goodie and Jones up front with Ally coming off the bench to get in their faces in the closing stages if required. Love always seemed to be most effective as a sub anyway.

Wouldn’t mind seeing a 3 at the back as well. But the elephant in the room is who is that third centre back going to be ? Majority of able league 1 defenders have already been snapped up and we don’t have much/if any to choose from that are capable of keeping us clear of the bottom half. 

Edited by ClydeFCTheBullyWee

3 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Has anyone ordered any of the new gear from RJM yet?

There's a pop up shop at the stadium on Saturday apparently if you can't be arsed waiting on delivery. Not sure if it's doing anything other than replica shirts though.

11 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

There's a pop up shop at the stadium on Saturday apparently if you can't be arsed waiting on delivery. Not sure if it's doing anything other than replica shirts though.

Is it a bring and buy?  I heard DL wants to return a couple of fullbacks and is interested in another centre half...

20 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Jack thomson make any sort of impression last season ? Signed on loan for qp until January 

He showed very occasional flashes of talent and had a decent touch but was very lightweight and a few games completely passed him by, especially when he started games. Generally didn't look ready for football at this level and I wouldn't have been that particularly happy if we'd loaned him in again so I'm surprised QP are taking him.

Only caveat would be that we were pretty rotten last year, especially in midfield, which won't have helped him.

That was based on 8 starts & 8 sub appearances.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Aidan Cassidy is away to Broomhill on loan (presumably). Playing for them tonight and looking it up further was in previous line ups for them too. 

Edited by C. Muir

Not that the loss of Aiden Cassidy particularly mitigated things, but surely we have something up our sleeve for another CB? Even if you believe in the option we have there - and let's face it, very few do - then we've got to have a fourth body in there to cover suspensions etc?

8 hours ago, Jack Phillips said:

Cove signing Shay Logan and us having a Cumbernauld colts striker at RB 😂

Mortimer will be the second Colts striker-turned-defender we've had in the recent past. Remember Michael Oliver? Although he became a centre back, he could and did play as a right back the odd time. And to be honest, on the limited evidence available at this point, I'd judge that Oliver is the better defender, albeit he was a little wee for a centre back. Always thought he should've been made a full back.

53 minutes ago, Clydeside said:

Mortimer will be the second Colts striker-turned-defender we've had in the recent past. Remember Michael Oliver? Although he became a centre back, he could and did play as a right back the odd time. And to be honest, on the limited evidence available at this point, I'd judge that Oliver is the better defender, albeit he was a little wee for a centre back. Always thought he should've been made a full back.

I faintly remember him, if I remember right I don’t think Barry Ferguson gave him a proper chance. He would probably be better suited than mortimer now for us 😂