Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Not sure if the initial defending to let the guy in behind him is worse than not clearing it once he had his body in the way.

Really poor to lose the ball in the first place as well.

And there's a second, game over.

Was Danny taking the piss when he talked about getting all his pre season targets this summer?

Mystified by certain elements of team selection again today. 

Not impressed!

Edited by TheBigGuy

Can’t really blame Mortimer, he shouldn’t be playing, we’ve seen enough of him to know he’s not good enough. Danny much see he’s nowhere near this level
Indeed, it was just an absolutely mental signing. He's not even that young and had played a maximum of about ten senior games as a right back before, having been essentially shunted there out of desperation because he offered so little further up the park. It's the kind of addition that - at best - you'd be looking to make late in a window out of sheer panic after failing to get other targets.

1 minute ago, the_bully_wee said:

Can someone find out the prize money, crunch the numbers and enlighten us all about what those two goals have cost us financially?

I believe we get £21000 for finishing last and would have got £47000 for losing in the next round. In addition to gate money obviously.

If we had finished second it would have been £28000.

I'd be surprised if anyone thinks we've finished in a false position in this group, albeit a group that's been badly affected by 3-0 wins for EK/Stranraer. Stole a couple of points off Stranraer, contributed nothing in the games v Killie/Morton bar some hard work. There's maybe an argument that we should have got the better of EK but there's not much in it.

1 minute ago, David W said:

I believe we get £21000 for finishing last and would have got £47000 for losing in the next round. In addition to gate money obviously.

If we had finished second it would have been £28000.

I'd be surprised if anyone thinks we've finished in a false position in this group, albeit a group that's been badly affected by 3-0 wins for EK/Stranraer. Stole a couple of points off Stranraer, contributed nothing in the games v Killie/Morton bar some hard work. There's maybe an argument that we should have got the better of EK but there's not much in it.

Dear lord, I thought there'd have been 15k in it tops but that is stark. ~£30k of a difference is two new players on decent money. 

Our only hope is that league cup has opened Danny's eyes to how bad the defence is.

We were poor there last season but Lang and Howie are much better than any of the centre halves we currently have. We got away with it last year due to being able to to rely on Goodwillie scoring so many. This season it looks like Lennon is determined to nullify Goodwillie to bring Rob Jones into the team, it's fucking mental.

The midfield does look potentially better than anything we had last season but it won't matter with that defence and not playing Goodwillie up top.

3 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

Our only hope is that league cup has opened Danny's eyes to how bad the defence is.

We were poor there last season but Lang and Howie are much better than any of the centre halves we currently have. We got away with it last year due to being able to to rely on Goodwillie scoring so many. This season it looks like Lennon is determined to nullify Goodwillie to bring Rob Jones into the team, it's fucking mental.

The midfield does look potentially better than anything we had last season but it won't matter with that defence and not playing Goodwillie up top.

I said a few weeks back that having a plan B was an admission that your plan A wasn't good enough. I can't believe I spent ten minutes today watching Goodwillie play as a left winger.

Regardless of quality, there's absolutely no joined up thinking in that squad at all. Three centre halves (I think Balatoni is decent) who need full-backs to protect them round the outside, yet we don't have a full-back that can defend. Sometimes we are a team who tries to play out from the back, but that breaks down when Rumsby gets on the ball, or we bring a Nicoll, Jones or even Ally Love into the team. So we go long, which doesn't suit Gomis, Goodwillie, Cunningham and others. I have no idea which camp Andrew/McGrath are supposed to fit into, yet as things stand, they'll be involved semi-regularly.

I must admit, I was slightly terrified to hear that Balatoni himself contacted Danny Lennon about signing. Given that we lost three centre halves and there was uncertainty around Rumsby, had we made any plans to sign centre halves this summer outside those relegated from the SPFL? We know that DL has had a shocking time in the transfer market; big questions need asked why there's been no improvement with the employment of this new recruitment team.