Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Firstly, I haven't really kept track on EKFC's transfer business and expected them to be a Championship tribute act but in reality they were really disappointing. Erskine caused us problems and Vitoria had the beating of Rumsby all game but they were nothing special at all. Their left back put in one of the worst performances I've seen since our left back on Saturday. We didn't really take advantage of Cunningham's superiority down that side. Indeed, Cunningham's final ball is consistently poor, one of the most frustrating players we have ever had.

It was a reasonably entertaining game, plenty of goalmouth action. We definitely had the better of the chances and should have won, at least that seemed to be the case from the awful vantage point 100 yards away from the action at ground level. That said, our defending was so poor throughout that we could easily have given up further goals at any point. We seemed desperate to give EK free-kicks on the edge of the box. 

General observations; Splaine gives the ball away too much, which is frustrating as the next time he has it he does something good. I put it down to sharpness in the Raith game, it's now looking like it's just the way he plays. |If we can get more consistency and get him to make better decisions, he'll be a terrific player. What is more troubling is how often Gomis loses possession in deeper positions, it's happening a couple of times a match. Love was really poor but he normally is playing in a 442 on the left. EK never really got to grips with Jones but he just isn't a good player, with so many poor touches ruining promising attacks. Kennedy was really good in his spell on the pitch. 

I think it remains obvious that we don't have a full starting eleven of good quality League 1 players. Never mind if we ever need to make a substitution, or change the starting line-up. Watching Kevin Nicoll sprint away from Tade as they were running doesn't fill me with much confidence that the latter will be a difference maker.

It was good to see Mitchell save a penalty kick (I think that's four in shoot-outs but none in match play) and for Clyde to win only their second penalty shoot-out since 9/11. I think that makes it four in total?

Moments of the match:

• Clyde players sitting down so people could see the penalty shoot-out. 
  • The referee, who had a good game, spraying his spray on the goal-line as the EK players struggled to appreciate that's where they should stand for the indirect free-kick.
  • Seeing that EK can accommodate their subs on some folding chairs whilst we commandeer half a stand at Broadwood for the same task.

My highlight of the game was one of the subs doing a pish down in the far corner during the second half.

Despite Goodwillie assisting, scoring and coming the closest he has to scoring an overhead/bicycle kick, he was pretty anonymous in his deeper role. Indeed his assist for Jones was about the only time he made a run for a ball dropped in behind the defence instead of coming short where he'd then end up too far away from Jones. Jones, for a player that clearly lacks a bit of confidence, took that goal really well btw. It's also clear Love and Cunningham play better coming inside than they do trying to beat their man on the outside.

The main worry for me, apart from the defence, is that we seem completely incapable of controlling a game.

Gomis made a load of brilliant tackles/interceptions (thank god as no one else does) but he was poor on the ball last night. Splaine is wasteful and risky, but tries to turn away from players in the middle of the park and create things. Cunningham, as said above, had the beating of his man and had some great driving runs but to little effect.

Love was poor again and Goodwillie was completely lost in the deeper role. Goodwillie only works from deeper if he can pull out wide but EK being organised and our wide players playing very high meant he had little chance to do that. Jones didn't hold the ball up well at all last night, even by his standards, but he took his goal well.

I generally still like Rumsby, although I'd still rather have kept McNiff of the two, but he was absolute torture last night. We've got to be desperately hoping Page shows something and that we can get in another (pacey) centreback too. Balatoni does lots of good things but isn't very aggressive for a centreback. Livingstone also lacks a bit of aggression at times but was mostly decent last night.

For the weekend I'd like to see us drop Love to the bench. Throughout his time with us he's always been better as a sub. Bring Mortimer back in at rightback with Cuddihy on the wing in front of him. Gomis & Kennedy sitting, and push Splaine into the number 10 role. He seems to have a decent shot and his giving possession away would be less risky there. Cunningham back to the left please and Goodwillie up top obviously. If that doesn't work, I've no idea what will. 

At least we have something to play for on Saturday. Maybe we'll even reach the 5th minute before conceding.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

I’m not going to go through all the obvious short comings all been said.

I am really concerned for league season.. on evidence so far the players  are simply not good enough. (Goodie and Mitchell apart)

We have all seen these leagues for years now and know what it takes. So far we don’t have enough of the quality to do anything other than struggle this year, apologies for negativity... I pray I’m wrong.

The problem is most of the squad is made up of bottom league 2/lowland league jobbers 

Aiden Cassidy - if he was any good we'd be playing him

Billy Mortimer - not good enough for league 1

Scott Rumsby - not good enough for league 1

Jonathon Page - I'll reserve judgment 

Conrad Balatoni - Might be passable at lower end league 1 but he needs to be fitter, He looked gubbed towards the end of the last few games on the big broadwood pitch

Mark Docherty - can leave anytime what a waste of a wage

Kevin Nicoll - might be good to have around the dressing room but not good enough

Aaron Splaine - Very wasteful in possession maybe can be coached to be atleast useful

Robert Jones - Not good enough non existent hold up play

Owen Andrew - needs alot of work loan out for the season 

Kieran McGrath - ok squad player but certainly not a game changer 

Tade - Looked so unfit the last time i seen him hopefully is useful off the bench

Kennedy - Very promising hopefully will develop into a good player

Morgaro Gomis - Done some good things and some bad things still good enough for league 1

Adam Livingstone - Should be our first choice LB good enough for league one

Sub GK - Didn't look great but hopefully he isn't used much

Cuddihy - Good energy certainly can play a part in the team

DGW - Legend enough said

Mitchell - As above we are so lucky he saved us a few times already

Love - I am already on the caravan of love what a guy! 

Cunningham - Frustrating needs work

Kai McCormack - who knows

We’ve had 3 competitive games and telling folk they can leave whenever a waste of a wage. 

We have a better squad than last season IMO, I don’t know what others expectations are but I think the reality is if we can push further into mid table that would be a good enough season. 

There are too many teams with bigger budgets and better squads than us to have a real go. 

Just for a little context about last night, EK lost very narrowly away to Stranraer, drew with Morton away and only lost by a couple at home to Killie.  While we should be looking to win, there was no reason to think we could just turn up and wipe the floor with them.

Said before, this competition is little more than "meaningful" friendlies.  It's the time to try out a few things before the league starts.  Yes there's one or two positions probably need addressed, but that post above listing the players is an embarrassment.  There's a lot of new faces in, still coming together as a team, some players were out the game for a while with serious injuries and are trying to find their way back into the game.   Every one of them will give their all at least.

See instead of listing players, why don't you list the Board of Directors ?  They're the reason Danny's working with such a small budget and that a load of you would take ending up mid table in fucking League 1 right now.  That's how far down these incompetents  have dragged this club.    

This thread is chronic at times. Don’t know why some of us on here still have this mentality that we should be beating anyone and everyone we play. We are a lower end league one side with a small playing budget and most of our squad reflect that.

The squad we have is going to be the squad we have for the majority of the season so rather than fucking greeting after every game about it - when we’ve only lost to Killie so far - and ranting about how we are going down at every opportunity why not get behind the squad who will hopefully keep us in League one for a third consecutive season.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

There's not a lot wrong with the assessments in that above post, really. It is frustrating that we haven't been able to build at least a solid core of L1 players around Mitchell and Goodwillie over the last few seasons; DL has to shoulder a fair bit of blame for his recruitment and retentions through that period. Such a massive player turnover in the summer points quite squarely to him getting a fair bit wrong in times gone by. I'm still really unsure what our reasonably well-paid recruitment team is bringing to the table, if they're still even kicking around, and you'd imagine that a couple of fans with subscriptions to Wyscout could do a better job of identifying targets to consider voluntarily. I don't know the conditions of his departure but losing Howie and retaining Rumsby, alongside binning Bain and bringing in Mortimer, look like backwards steps at the back. Bain-Howie-Balatoni-Livingstone would be pretty reasonable, I think, since Bain appeared to be coming on to a game at the tail end of last season.

If they're coached properly into a coherent system (something we haven't seen so far), then we can definitely craft a good midfield out of our pool of Cuddihy, Gomis, Kennedy and Splaine. The former is obviously our least bad option at right back presently, but it's worth remembering that he did toil at right-back upon our ascension to League 1 (when our defence was similarly fragile) and has since then performed much better as a box-to-box midfielder. For all we're stacked with forwards, plenty of them are either projects or outright filler and we are still light on pace in that area.

The board complaints have been done to death, but once again all that can be said is that if someone feels there are better candidates to run the club then they should start a campaign to have them elected to the board and the current incumbents removed. Ultimately, we all know deep down that we don't have the personnel within our fan base who possess either the skills or the time and willingness to stand for election, which then makes the only other option a move away from the CIC model to private ownership (which, again, requires a ready and willing buyer). Even if a buyer was found, I don't think that's the best route to go down as a club with no tangible assets, which doesn't appear to have received a credible takeover bid in donkeys and which appears to attract the most audacious of shysters even within the 'safe' ownership structure of present. Bobby Gracey, David Douglas, Norrie Innes (to name but a few) have all found themselves with varying levels of influence at the club in the past decade and all ended up chased for various nonsenses, while we have some fans who lead the club on merry chases with false promises of hefty, no-strings-attached investment. On top of that you've even got a circle of folk who pop up in the news any time they can to discredit the club with apparent designs on taking over, without ever presenting any kind of evidence of their own competencies or vision for the future.

Per the latest data I could be arsed to find quite easily, albeit with a few strings attached (from 2019/20 season, some figures may be inflated/deflated by league), we rank about 26th for attendances in Scotland. Teams below us feature Cove, Peterhead, Queen's Park, Stirling Albion and Edinburgh City, all of whom (I believe) attract varying levels of external investment in their clubs from individuals. That puts us down at 31st for customers (bottom end of L1, where we are currently). It's quite understandable why some folk, who'd likely be involved in some form of business, would look at Clyde at the moment and not want to throw cash our way and find themselves linked with some of the furore around our personnel. Additionally, you've then got to consider the fact that many other clubs actually own their grounds (and, in some cases, other properties or ventures too) and have far more available streams for organically generating revenue outwith their own stretched fanbases. We are not punching below our weight, and that long-lingering fart of an attitude should be binned immediately. This is our level, by just about every single metric, and history has absolutely no bearing on that reality.

Unless we can attract serious investment from a source which will allow us to own our own ground and have a greater level of autonomy, then we're simply never going to grow into a sustainable full-time club. At the moment, even being the best part-time club in the country is miles beyond us and, while that's not the fault of the current manager (despite his imperfections), it's also not the fault of the current board (despite theirs).

I don’t think it’s the attitude that we should beat everyone, far from it, we have been struggling for years. I think it’s more a frustration that we are actually probably 3 -4 players short of being comfortable in the league and maybe pushing for play off and that has been the situation for 3 years now, recruitment has as I say been “disappointing” to say the least 

Instead of signing a player who would improve the starting 11 we have continually signed players who,  from experience of watching these leagues now, we know where we will be competing and it’s not top end.. simple as that.

Yes budget will be a factor, but I’d rather not sign someone who is obviously not good enough than  simply sign him because he is available. We have had ongoing issues both positionally  and collectively within areas of the pitch for going into 3 seasons and not addressed them. Again, I find it very strange given the experience and previous success  of management team we have.

2 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

The board complaints have been done to death, but once again all that can be said is that if someone feels there are better candidates to run the club then they should start a campaign to have them elected to the board and the current incumbents removed. Ultimately, we all know deep down that we don't have the personnel within our fan base who possess either the skills or the time and willingness to stand for election, which then makes the only other option a move away from the CIC model to private ownership (which, again, requires a ready and willing buyer). Even if a buyer was found, I don't think that's the best route to go down as a club with no tangible assets, which doesn't appear to have received a credible takeover bid in donkeys and which appears to attract the most audacious of shysters even within the 'safe' ownership structure of present.

Additionally, you've then got to consider the fact that many other clubs actually own their grounds (and, in some cases, other properties or ventures too) and have far more available streams for organically generating revenue outwith their own stretched fanbases. We are not punching below our weight, and that long-lingering fart of an attitude should be binned immediately. This is our level, by just about every single metric, and history has absolutely no bearing on that reality.

Unless we can attract serious investment from a source which will allow us to own our own ground and have a greater level of autonomy, then we're simply never going to grow into a sustainable full-time club. At the moment, even being the best part-time club in the country is miles beyond us and, while that's not the fault of the current manager (despite his imperfections), it's also not the fault of the current board (despite theirs).

This narrative has also been done to death.

The board members obviously wish that position otherwise they could resign at any time.  They are all also from a very similar background, accountancy / book keeping.  There's nothing wrong with that in itself except that just like any organization, other areas also have to be fully functional.  In our case, there is nothing resembling a commercial and marketing department who have the expertise to generate significant additional income, and there hasn't been for years.  I don't expect the board to fill this role as they have no track record or background in doing so.   There was nothing wrong to look into the possibility of finding what was needed from within the support base.  It was established some time ago that it wasn't, but the board are still duty bound to ensure the club is adequately operational in all areas.

Again just as with any other organization, when all initial routes have been exhausted there's still an obligation to explore different routes.  In this case if what is required cannot be sourced from within, it must be sourced from outwith.  Either the board are unwilling to source and employ the required expertise, or simply don't know how to.  But in either case it's not acceptable to just shrug their shoulders and soldier on, they are accountable.

The CiC model is next to irrelevant because in practice, where all areas are adequately covered and productive, the ownership is content.  It has nothing to do with sourcing an inward investor because irrespective of anything else that's not sustainable, whereas an ongoing functional commercial & marketing department generates regular income year on year resulting in the club living within its means from a more profitable position.  

And as for stadium ownership being the silver bullet, there's absolutely nothing to back that up.  The focus of that argument always centres on a select few potential sources of income, but the expert personnel aren't place who could make a full assessment of the wider range of opportunties in and around the area to determine if "non ownership" is a serious hindrance.  This extends on to the potential of generating a greater fanbase in the area through greater hands on community engagement which again would be part of the remit of the broader commercial operation. 

Your argument is based on metrics and suggested solutions that are flawed and haven't been fully tested.  That said, if nothing changes, there's little doubt that League 1 would remain the likeliest height of our ambition because despite having one of the larger fan bases at L1 & L2 level, the complete lack of a required part of the overall operation will mean we continue to struggle on below the level of the club's potential.  

5 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

The board members obviously wish that position otherwise they could resign at any time.  They are all also from a very similar background, accountancy / book keeping.  There's nothing wrong with that in itself except that just like any organization, other areas also have to be fully functional.  In our case, there is nothing resembling a commercial and marketing department who have the expertise to generate significant additional income, and there hasn't been for years.  I don't expect the board to fill this role as they have no track record or background in doing so.   There was nothing wrong to look into the possibility of finding what was needed from within the support base.  It was established some time ago that it wasn't, but the board are still duty bound to ensure the club is adequately operational in all areas.

This is all fine and well, but ultimately does absolutely nothing to address the underlying point that we need volunteers with the relevant skillsets in marketing and commercial areas. Other than that you're looking at getting in salaried employees to carry out a job with a club with a public perception of being "that one that employs a rapist". Sponsorship of a lower league football team makes very little fiscal sense to most businesses because the visibility offered is so low, so overall sponsorship deals at this level aren't worth a great deal at all. I do agree with you that the club could do better in these areas and one of the blots on the board's recent copy book from me is the removal of Ian Fitzpatrick from his post with the club. I don't know any of the ins and outs there so can't comment too much on it, but he seemed like an enthusiastic guy with good, progressive ideas and a decent handle on what works social media-wise. I think there is too much of a focus on us appearing extremely professional in our general brand at times when we're not really at a level befitting of that serious tone. Aside from in those areas, communication at the club is once again of the poor variety having been really quite good under the Innes regime, despite all the hyperbole, jargon and bluster.  

Again just as with any other organization, when all initial routes have been exhausted there's still an obligation to explore different routes.  In this case if what is required cannot be sourced from within, it must be sourced from outwith.  Either the board are unwilling to source and employ the required expertise, or simply don't know how to.  But in either case it's not acceptable to just shrug their shoulders and soldier on, they are accountable.

To expand on the above, I think it's naive to suggest that the board members don't work their balls off trying to maximise the club's revenue, even if they're not savvy or skilled enough in some regards to properly execute that. This is where, like I said, we're crying out for someone who is willing and able to step up and apply their expertise in these areas. But like I've said, the general perception of the club probably besets us to some degree in our commercial efforts and it would be expensive, and logistically tough, to source an actual employee capable of improving us in that area. I did see an interesting initiative on Berwick's twitter the other week where they were advertising for a commercial director (or similar) and offering commission to any volunteer who took up the position. Perhaps that's something worth exploring. In any case, the bread and butter of a lower league, part-time football club with a very average support base like ours is always going to be the fans and we've tried just about everything to grow it to no avail. Every club like ours is struggling in the same marketplace for commercial investment and we are not unique among them; no part-time club is ever going to transform its fortunes through the sums gained in that area anyway.

The CiC model is next to irrelevant because in practice, where all areas are adequately covered and productive, the ownership is content.  It has nothing to do with sourcing an inward investor because irrespective of anything else that's not sustainable, whereas an ongoing functional commercial & marketing department generates regular income year on year resulting in the club living within its means from a more profitable position.  

The CIC model is very relevant when it comes to serious avenues of improving our fortunes to the extent of existing stably at the level you and others seem to think the club belongs at. People with money to invest who aren't fans of the club are going to want influence, and the legalities of a CIC make it very difficult for them to gain any serious level of control off the back of their investment.

And as for stadium ownership being the silver bullet, there's absolutely nothing to back that up.  The focus of that argument always centres on a select few potential sources of income, but the expert personnel aren't place who could make a full assessment of the wider range of opportunties in and around the area to determine if "non ownership" is a serious hindrance.  This extends on to the potential of generating a greater fanbase in the area through greater hands on community engagement which again would be part of the remit of the broader commercial operation. 

There is nothing to back up that many more income streams = more potential for profit and growth? There are scores of clubs in Scotland who make a very good amount of money from hiring out their pitches, stadia and facilities within. Broadwood isn't all bad, but stadium ownership for clubs like ours offers scope for control of your own destiny to an extent that rental does not. As above, the club engages very actively with the community and does very well in those regards without that translating to attendances or fans of the club. As has been established, most folk in the west of Scotland belong to one of the arse cheeks (or even bigger clubs) and Cumbernauld and its locale are no different. Despite many bold and commendable initiatives and efforts, interest in the club simply has not grown. Again, this is not a struggle unique to Clyde. 

Your argument is based on metrics and suggested solutions that are flawed and haven't been fully tested.  That said, if nothing changes, there's little doubt that League 1 would remain the likeliest height of our ambition because despite having one of the larger fan bases at L1 & L2 level, the complete lack of a required part of the overall operation will mean we continue to struggle on below the level of the club's potential.  

The club's maximum potential at the moment, in an absolute sense, is to be part-time and at the arse end of the Championship. Dumbarton were there for half a decade through sheer overachievement and have slipped back to this level, not because of any great failures but because it was pretty much eventually an inevitability - perhaps @Jan Vojáček or some other Sons fan could pop in and outline just how much that period of huge success for them affected their core fanbase both immediately and beyond. Alloa were there through having a millionaire owner who invests substantially in the squad. Arbroath are there with a much larger fanbase than ours and as a club intrinsically tied to its hometown and which is halfway across the country from the two arse cheeks. My argument has been borne out by the fates of virtually every club around Clyde which faces many of the same issues. The simple fact is that without significant investment from benefactors, an organisational change to facilitate a rich owner (fat chance) or the ownership of our own stadium then we simply cannot reasonably expect our fortunes to change drastically from where they are right now. 

I'm all for critiquing the board and it is absolutely healthy to do so - just as it is healthy to critique Danny Lennon's recruitment and his signing, every season, of about five players who aren't good enough rather than running with a tighter squad and bringing in more quality. However, in your initial post you described the board as "incompetents" who have "dragged the club (to this level)". That is extremely harsh, without any remote balance and completely untrue. We are operating at almost precisely the expected level based on a variety of known factors, and despite what you seem to believe, we are not an exception to all the clubs of comparable circumstances around us who also harbour ambitions of bettering their standing. That similar clubs don't manage to flip a switch and pull clear of the pack empirically proves my overarching argument.

I don’t think it’s the attitude that we should beat everyone, far from it, we have been struggling for years. I think it’s more a frustration that we are actually probably 3 -4 players short of being comfortable in the league and maybe pushing for play off and that has been the situation for 3 years now, recruitment has as I say been “disappointing” to say the least 
Instead of signing a player who would improve the starting 11 we have continually signed players who,  from experience of watching these leagues now, we know where we will be competing and it’s not top end.. simple as that.
Yes budget will be a factor, but I’d rather not sign someone who is obviously not good enough than  simply sign him because he is available. We have had ongoing issues both positionally  and collectively within areas of the pitch for going into 3 seasons and not addressed them. Again, I find it very strange given the experience and previous success  of management team we have.
I agree.

I have a real gripe about money being wasted on players who are simply not good enough at this level.

An an example, players like Kevin Nicoll and Scott Rumsby were offered new contracts as early as the second week of May.

Previously we had McNiff and Rumsby on two year contacts.

As our budget is amongst the lowest in the league we have to be smarter with the money. We seem to waste plenty on players who are substandard for League One

11 hours ago, Only one David Marsh said:

The problem is most of the squad is made up of bottom league 2/lowland league jobbers 

Aiden Cassidy - if he was any good we'd be playing him

Billy Mortimer - not good enough for league 1

Scott Rumsby - not good enough for league 1

Jonathon Page - I'll reserve judgment 

Conrad Balatoni - Might be passable at lower end league 1 but he needs to be fitter, He looked gubbed towards the end of the last few games on the big broadwood pitch

Mark Docherty - can leave anytime what a waste of a wage

Kevin Nicoll - might be good to have around the dressing room but not good enough

Aaron Splaine - Very wasteful in possession maybe can be coached to be atleast useful

Robert Jones - Not good enough non existent hold up play

Owen Andrew - needs alot of work loan out for the season 

Kieran McGrath - ok squad player but certainly not a game changer 

Tade - Looked so unfit the last time i seen him hopefully is useful off the bench

Kennedy - Very promising hopefully will develop into a good player

Morgaro Gomis - Done some good things and some bad things still good enough for league 1

Adam Livingstone - Should be our first choice LB good enough for league one

Sub GK - Didn't look great but hopefully he isn't used much

Cuddihy - Good energy certainly can play a part in the team

DGW - Legend enough said

Mitchell - As above we are so lucky he saved us a few times already

Love - I am already on the caravan of love what a guy! 

Cunningham - Frustrating needs work

Kai McCormack - who knows

If this was posted in maybe October, November I think folk could be inclined to agree, but it’s embarrassing at this stage.

Ally Love for me is a strange one, I think he is a decent player and gives his all for us, so for me will always get support. Is he as good as some make out? I’d have to say no. Almost in a John Sweeney/Kevin nicol bracket of being overhyped. 

33 minutes ago, BullyWeeLad said:

Would like to think we are still experimenting with the squad and maybe a player or two to come in ? on the plus side we beat bottom of the table Morton we are through to the knockout stages 👍🏼

Not necessarily. We're almost certainly not going through with 8 points as a runner-up. It will come down to goal difference if Killie win against Stranraer, or a ridiculous amount of luck if Stranraer win.

I predict we'll end up needing to win by a couple of goals.