Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Seeing as the stream didn’t work, if someone could give me a fairly comprehensive analysis of the game I would very much appreciate it. Good to see Scott Rumsby picking up his customary foul and booking. Remarkably, I think this is only the second penalty shoot out Clyde have won since I started supporting us in 2005. The other was against Berwick in the 16/17 league cup. I could be wrong and, to be fair, we haven’t featured in too many.

Thought we were pretty good in spells tonight but could’ve been much better, a few wasted chances and some really poor final third passes. Defence was shaky once again so sooner page is back the better imo ! It’s clear to see the difference in Livingston and Docherty as well so hopefully DL has noticed that. Cunningham and Cuddihy both played really well imo but when will Cunningham learn to just hit the fkn ball !! Good to see Jones score so hopefully that’ll boost his confidence. Must win on Saturday now if we want to progress but a big performance needed from the back line in-particular

At least we go into the final games with a feasible chance of progress. As I understand it, the scenarios are as follows:

Lose in 90 mimutes: eliminated 

Lose on penalties: eliminated 

Win on penalties: cannot win group. Could theoretically qualify as one of three best runners-up but would require a 10,000/1 chance series of results elsewhere.

So, basically, we need to win in 90 minutes. That would see us through if:

• Kilmarnock beat Stranraer on penalties 

• Kilmarnock beat Stranraer by fewer goals, the same number of goals or one goal more than the number of goals by which we beat Morton

• Kilmarnock beat Stranraer by two more goals than we beat Morton by, but score fewer goals than us (example, Clyde 4 Morton 3, Kilmarnock 3 Stranraer 0... pretty unlikely)

The other ever more remote possibilities that would see us top are:

• We win by four or more and Stranraer beat Kilmarnock on penalties or

• We win by three, Stranraer beat Kilmarnock on penalties, we score more or the same number of goals in 90 minutes as Stranraer. Not likely but I suppose worth considering if Morton have to forfeit again...

There, what could be simpler?

I thought we were rotten tonight. We were only spared a defeat by the very direct but very infrequent threats that Cunningham, Jones and Goodwillie brought. Take away Cunningham's pace, Goodwillie's power and Jones's presence and you'd be left with very little to redeem us. Mitchell aside.

I thought EK were very well organised. They had a very clear system and it worked well against us. They pulled our defence from side to side. They dominated the midfield for a few memorably long spells. And they had a good physicality about them too. Something we didn't have. Particularly at the back where we're everything from timid to downright slow.

I think tonight showed that two central midfielders is a no go for us. Splaine and Gomis were out on their feet. They were played through very easily and by poorer players than they'll encounter in league games. And what on earth is that role Goodwillie's been given!? Get him back where he belongs, rubbing shoulders with defenders. Not dropping deeper than Splaine and putting no pressure on the ball. It was a silly system when you think about it. Jones isolated. Goodwillie in a role he's shown nothing in. Gomis and Splaine with hardly any reliable outlets when they pick up the ball. It was doomed to fail. I hope it was just an experiment. It sure looked like it puzzled the players anyway.

I don't think a four man midfield is a goer for us. And I think we need to look at a back three if we're not signing any more defenders. A two formed of Rumsby, Page or Balatoni is going to be pulled about silly and it'll get roughed up by the better forwards in the league. We need a third man in there as security. Five in midfield would give us a numerical advantage which I think we need due to our lack of legs in there. And then a two up would see to it that we can put some pressure on the ball. That's something we've done very little of in any game we've played since coming back. I don't think we can just let teams play out from the back against us. It's asking for it.

On the positive side, it's clear that Livingstone's a better option than Docherty for the left hand side. And Paul Kennedy picked some great cutting passes when he came on.