Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

1 hour ago, Jack Burton said:

Happy to be proven wrong on this but unless Tade is signing on as an amateur or on next to nothing then would be a bizzare signing.

We already have about 8 forward players while only having 3 centre backs.

Yeah, regardless of what anyone thinks about the trio we have and improving the quality, you need four centre halves. There's not even somebody in that squad you would put back there in an emergency.

Turns out not signed just yet him and his agent were at training last night but no signature yet as Danny wants to be sure he is going to be fit... Tade is optimistic about injury and saying he is getting there slowly but surely

2 minutes ago, ClydeFCTheBullyWee said:

Docherty starting again and goodie clearly injured after coming off on Tuesday.  Wtf has Danny got against Livingston playin left back… Docherty is just not good enough, regardless of it being a cup match or not 

Agree re Docherty but I think, might be wrong but Livingston might be recovering from  an injury? Might explain it

if Goodie is even slightest bit not 100% then get him nowhere near the pitch till the league starts!

3 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Agree re Docherty but I think, might be wrong but Livingston might be recovering from  an injury? Might explain it

if Goodie is even slightest bit not 100% then get him nowhere near the pitch till the league starts!

Yeah totally agree I’d be keeping goodie for the league 100%. Let’s just hope Gomis and Kennedy do all the defensive work so we don’t need to panic everytime it goes down our left hand side 

33 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Not training well enough apparently.

Docherty has set up a goal, given away a penalty and been absolutely rinsed time and time again yet there's a good argument that he's not been our worst player that half.

Splaine and Love (stay on your feet) awful. Cunningham finding great pockets of space then falling over the ball. Cuddihy absolutely stranded against two players every time by a ludicrous formation. As for the "target" man...

A worryingly weak and sluggish performance so far. Admittedly against a side who look vastly fitter and physically stronger in every position.

We've picked a weak team. Jones up on his own is insane against a side this good. Maybe, just maybe, we're picking our battles in light of the game against EK. Leaving Goodie out can only be with his fitness in mind. However, having Docherty on the left again is a bit concerning. At least if Danny think he's better than Livingstone. Or, as David wrote, that Livingstone isn't training well.

On the upside, it's better these weaknesses are laid bare now than later. Underlines the need for more defenders to be signed.

Also underlines Danny’s bizarre signing policy season after season. Just don’t understand his thinking when identifying players, honestly for such an obviously experienced and decent coach it boggles the mind. 

Much improved second half performance but defenders needed immediately imo. Thought Cunningham had a good game along with Mitchell. Splaine n Kennedy done well imo but just held onto the ball too long on occasions n it cost us. First loss so far this season and I personally don’t think it’s a bad one, if Docherty stayed on I reckon it would’ve been 4/5. But a win against East Kilbride n a good game against Morton will put us in good shape for the league. 

Thank f**k Killie seemed to calm down a bit after making it 2-0 as that could've been anything they wanted it to be had they maintained their tempo. That coupled with Mitchell having a great game prevented a cricket score. 

I get the feeling Docherty and Mortimer themselves are astonished they got a deal with us. Nowhere near it at this level. 

That was bad. And there's a few ways you could come at how and why it was bad.

For a start, a very weak team was picked. And although you could certainly go one level down and criticise the shape and system, those things were less key than the decisions to drop Goodwillie and play Docherty ahead of Livingstone. Perhaps those decisions were down to fitness. But whatever the case was I think we owed a lot of how poor we were to those decisions.

Kilmarnock could've roasted us today. As others have wrote, it could've been four or five within the first thirty minutes. We applied no pressure to their defenders whatever. They were able to cruise up the park and play triangles through our lines without ever getting out of first gear. Our back four was as bad as I've seen it since Chapman. Whether it was Burke roasting Docherty, Balatoni making dogs legs in the line and playing Killie's forwards onside or Rumsby being roughed up. The whole operation was a rammy. David Mitchell was rightly furious. And we've him to thank for keeping the score down. I expect he'll have a busy season.

The midfield gave the defence very little protection. I'm not sure the central midfielders know their roles yet and they never had a lot on ahead or to the side of them when they picked it up. Love was totally contained in the new role we've given him. I don't think he's good enough to play with his back to goal like that and get turned against a decent team. And Cunningham, like most of his teammates other than perhaps Love and Cuddihy, wasn't working all that hard to get on the ball, however many flashes of talent he showed. Splaine and Gomis dwelled on the ball and got caught in possession quite a lot. I wouldn't be too critical of Jones but his work rate wasn't great and he was drawn away from the centre too much. We'll repeat all season that there's a lot wrong with his game but it won't get better on the bench or up on his own.

In the second half I thought the decisions to take Jones and Splaine off, however patchy they'd been up until then, were mistaken. Jones showed in winning the penalty that however frustrating he is in other respects, simply by being a difficult presence to deal with on one or two occassions in a match he can pull something out the hat. The second half of today's game was arguably the ideal one to have his presence gambled into until the end. And then with Splaine, well, aside from Cuddihy whose excellent run made the penalty, Splaine had been the only player to dribble out of midfield and threaten Kilmarnock's goal. Infrequently albeit. Once we scored the penalty we barely threatened again.

I don't know why we have everyone back at corners either. That's nuts.

It could be that we're not taking the competition too seriously. And we were certainly at a fitness disadvantage. You hope those things account for today somewhat anyway. Even so, you can see against a good side where we're weak. We need roles for those lads in the middle of the park. We need to sign some more defenders. And we should probably have another think about what we're doing with Love and Cunningham this season.

I worry that it'll be a long season if we're going to play one up. And I would add that we look as though we could be out on our feet without changing the shape of the defence to a tight three. Or, even better, signing some more defenders.

Edited by Clydeside
Typos