Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

3 minutes ago, sydney said:

Never forgive the p***k for the most outrageous piece of cheating I’ve seen at Broadwood. Still, made it even better when McNiff scored at the death. 

I was actually reading the match thread from this game the other day. The glory days of metldowns from marco44. Great stuff!

24 minutes ago, shawfielder said:

Most of the team were poor, but If there’s one thing Danny can take out of tonight’s game it’s the full backs are not up to it.

Absolutely. The pair of them starting when the league begins just won't do at all. Has to be Cuddihy and Livingstone with Kennedy coming into midfield. 

Very laboured performance tonight but job done I suppose. 

I couldn’t go tonight and didn’t see the game but for me the clean sheet is a bonus. Something we rarely achieved last season. No idea if it was luck or otherwise but will take it. Will be there on Saturday so will see first hand. 
More importantly, when are season tickets going on sale ? 

I think it bears remembering that we played a game against a full-time team on Saturday while Stranraer had a day off. That showed.

Stranraer were sharper in most areas throughout the match. Luckily for us they couldn't score to save themselves. Another team would've trounced us tonight.

We should also remember that this part of the season always stores up some heavy legs. Coming out of pre-season into the rhythm of two games a week is torture for part-time outfits and usually guarantees their early knock outs.

Still, there was a lot of weakness on show from us. With a mind to rotating the squad for the tougher Kilmarnock game on Saturday I'm sure, Danny had our two least talented full-backs start. Then there was the occasionally confused and sluggish pairing of Balatoni and Rumsby inbetween. A back four that would take a doing in other circumstances.

The centre of the park, heavy legged albeit, needs some careful calibration. Stranraer cut right through the middle of us time and time again tonight with the space between midfield and defence totally vacant. Who's the sitter? That's what we need to work out. It's Kennedy, I would guess. The rest wouldn't have the discipline.

Not a lot of going smoothly between midfield and attack. All the quick and neat triangles we saw in pre-season were gone. Only flashes of quality from Goodie, Splaine, Love and Cuddihy probably saw us have enough to see it over the line in the end. And the odd good stop from Mitchell too.

A great win all things considered but we need a rest for Saturday. We'll need Cuddihy and Livingstone firing on all cylinders too. And you'd fancy Page ahead of Rumsby purely on a freshness basis. Kennedy, Gomis and Splaine central.

Edited by Clydeside
Typo

48 minutes ago, shawfielder said:

Most of the team were poor, but If there’s one thing Danny can take out of tonight’s game it’s the full backs are not up to it.

It's a shame he didn't realise that before wasting wages on them, a host of P&B posters knew they weren't anywhere near good enough. I've never seen a full-back back off a winger as much as Docherty did tonight; he would have been as well sitting in the stand behind the goal second half. Mortimer I feel sorry for as he's ended up way above his level. Add in Rumsby who can't ever sort his feet out and loses half his headers and you've got 3/4s of a backline that would struggle at the bottom of League 2. You can say we might start Livingstone, Cuddihy and Page in there but there will be injuries over a season. We need a quality right back and centre half.

Danny Lennon may go on about that being another famous clean sheet but if Stranraer had Goodwillie up front they would have won by 3 or 4. They missed a barrowload of easy chances, strolled through our midfield. Great first half save by Mitchell but they didn't even hit the target with most of the other opportunities. Really unlucky not to have 40 minutes against ten men as well with Gomis somehow escaping a clear second yellow.

The standard of the substitutes; Jones, McGrath, Andrew....all miles off the standard.

Positives? Splaine had a good second half. Good to be back in the stadium for a real game. Struggling apart from that.

To me, Docherty looked like he had a decent game. Mortimer not so much but Cuddihy will no doubt replace him. Splaine is a player.

Some absolute brain damage stuff being said in here. That was tough to watch at times and things definitely fell apart a bit with all the subs but it’s a clean sheet and a decent win against a bunch of cloggers with a red that killed the game. Personally I seen some decent stuff tonight considering that was our first competitive game.

Can’t stand some of our fans sometimes by the way

Edited by Brian Carrigan