Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

2 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Now the dust has settled and the prestigious Broadwood Cup is nestled safely where it belongs, what's everyones thoughts on the new signings? 

Balatoni and Page seem to do the basics well although it's be be pointed out that they've come up against nothing up front in their 3 games yet. Can still confidently say I'd want them as the pairing when the proper stuff starts mind you. Mortimer hasn't impressed me too much so far with Cuddihy performing better when played right back. He had a good battle with Quitongo on that side yesterday and came out on top more often than not. We already know what Livingstone brings but feel we could end up exposed when he's caught high up the pitch. Hope he doesn't get an injury as Docherty looks every bit like a last resort backup. Young Cassidy looks a unit for his age but what's his actual position? Been used at left back and centre back so far. 

Gomis is a class act and Splaine and the young trialist Kennedy look decent finds too. All of them look comfortable in possesion but similar to Balatoni and Page they haven't really faced a proper test yet bar Easton getting away easily a couple of times at the start of the 2nd half yesterday but that could've been put down to him just being fresh on.

Not really noticed Harry Robinson or Kieran McGrath impose themselves yet so nothing really to say about them so far. Owen Andrew seems a confident young player and I believe it was him that put the ball through for the 3rd goal yesterday. Lennon did say when he signed that he was a work in progress though so you wonder if he'll feature much if at all to begin when the competitive stuff starts. Jones looks a nuisance and certainly gives us something different. Got his goal yesterday fighting for scraps in the box which is something we've missed. 

Not a new signing but Ally Love has come back in unbelievable nick and off to a flier with 2 good goals. I do like the idea of him playing more centrally as he always makes good decisions in possession. 

Feel like I keep repeating myself on this front but really want to see us against a team who'll come at us to see how we can cope with it. 

As I said above the central pairing looked competent Bal and Spelaine looked in control in them and the big boy's nuisance value is new in addition to the consistent DGW and re-energize Love.  That time is a decent spine.  

I know Airdrie were experimental yesterday but so were we.  In our last 2 gave against them we lost NINE goals and scored 1.  

Personally, and sneaking a peek another L1 boards, I'm feeling less worse!

On the whole, I’ve been pleasantly surprised so far by what I’ve seen, but I’m conscious that we looked pretty good last pre-season and look where that ended up.

Midfield looks tidy with Gomis and Splaine keeping possession and keeping things ticking over and if we could get the deal over the line for Kennedy - I’m now worried we’ll be beaten to his signature in classic Clyde fashion - then that’s three good options in there. Cuddihy could offer the fourth option while also providing more than adequate cover at RB.

Upfront I like what we have as well - although mainly because of the established guys starting well. You can see the difference in DGW’s movement from the end of the season and both Cunningham and particularly Love have started brightly. The three signings have yet to fully convince tbh, Jones offers a different option and I’d like to see him with DGW to see how that partnership works. McGrath and Robinson haven’t really impacted much, other than a nice run from the latter in the closing stages of the Airdrie game. Andrew produced a lovely ball for the third but as said above, think he’s going to be a project.

There are still major reservations about the back line for me. Balatoni and particularly Page have pleasantly surprised me but there will be tougher tests to come and we badly need depth across both centre back and full back positions. Signing Kennedy could allow Cuddihy to cover - or possibly start - at RB but we’ve only really got Livingstone on the other side because I don’t trust Docherty as anything other than emergency back up across various positions for a few spot starts. I’d like to see us loan a young LB and potentially a decent CB prospect as well and that would shore things up. Imagine we still had Lang/Howie and Otoo?

Edited by Ignoramus

Not seen any of the three friendly matches so far but from what I’m reading I’m starting to think Jones and Goodie are going to be the new Andy Smith and Ian Harty partnership. 

Either that or myself and Graham Forrest for Bully Wee United 😍

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

2 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Not seen any of the three friendly matches so far but from what I’m reading I’m starting to think Jones and Goodie are going to be the new Andy Smith and Ian Harty partnership. 

Either that or myself and Graham Forrest for Bully Wee United 😍

Blasphemy, comparing Harty with DGW.

I think comparing what we have this season to last, we “should” be harder to beat. 

Gomis should harden up the centre of the park where we were particularly weak, Balatoni brings good experience at the back although a few question marks over the full back areas still linger. 

Scoring last year wasn’t an issue and shouldn’t be this. I thought Jones was poor for Dumbarton but as Danny Lennon said, we were one dimensional in attack so I can see the logic in bringing him in for something different. 

Going to be a tough league again, but we might just do alright. If we can push further into mid table towards East Fife and Montrose I think is a realistic target. 

I liked the way we are willing to shoot from outside the box as well as playing the through ball.

Mixing it up makes the opposition defenders uncertain.

I think we'll see a lot on one on one situations this coming season.

I hope we stick 20 past them, the OF obsessed weirdos.

Our board shouldn't be accepting invites. Our supporters should be showering their directors with abuse.

It may well be the only time we play them I reckon.

Not interested… good competition ruined by the Colts introduction. At risk of repeating myself again… not going near a “competition” involving a  Colt team.
not a dig at you guys btw, just a statement of my opposition to how we Lower league teams have been shafted by SPFL and LL Chairman!