Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Big Bad Conrad is based in Edinburgh, works in finance, carries a bit of excess weight and appears to be suffering from rapidly-progressing hair thinning. This particular Pat Scullion stan is more than happy to acknowledge all of these similarities and declare him the second coming after seven tough years.

10 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:
13 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:
Different atmosphere in here tonight after that result. Short memories!

Not at all. We could've conceded about 15 goals in that game on another night, and the main players we had worries over (Nicoll/Rumsby/Mortimer/Docherty) all looked pretty horrific in their time on the pitch.

Yip, tonight just confirmed (again) that we wasted wages on Rumsby/Nicoll at least. But most knew that anyway. Docherty I assume will be a back up to Livingstone and we'll end up seeing a lot of Cuddihy at right-back I imagine.

You can add Gomis and possibly Balatoni to the list of players who will hold their own. Splaine did almost nothing right but he looked like he was half a yard off the pace and about to do the right thing so I'd hold out some hope that he'll come good. Robinson and McGrath were completely anonymous in the second half, they just looked like countless similar players who sign and simply take a place on the bench every week.

A decent result and some decent play at times but we are still another three or four quality players short of being a team who aren't certainties for the bottom two.

Unusually for this greeting faced old man; I actually thought we did ok. As ever; opinions and all that but I didn’t see the awful stuff that others did.

If, as someone said we have Livingston and Cudihy as full backs then is an improvement on last year. Yes I know we had Otoo for latter games. 
I expected much worse tbh

Gomis looks a proper player. 

Edited by FREDDYFRY

29 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

It might only be a friendly but we’ve just beaten a Championship side who were pushing for promotion to the SPL away from home. A lot of positives to build on.

I only saw the second half, but must have been a watching game. I was reasonably impressed with what I saw, and agree with the comment above. Couldn't tell you who some of the players were (no numbers on tops) but Mitchell, Nicoll, Gomis, and one of the forwards (don't know who)  were the ones I was most impressed by. The downside was - both Nicoll & Gomis would have been booked if this wasn't a friendly. 

Nowhere near as negative as some of the comments here :thumbsdown.

I watched the first hour then about the last 5 or so, again I’m not seeing all the negativity either. 

Raith had good chances first half but we had 2 or 3 ourselves, but thought we played well enough. From what I saw second half it was much the same and we scored a good goal.

As above Gomis looks a great signing if we get that out him every week, Mitchell made some cracking saves and thought Cunningham looked sharp, big season for him I think if he has ambitions to get back higher up the leagues. 

A good workout against a good Raith team. Couldn’t believe the size of Tade though…

Where's Gregory Tade been for these last few years? His Wikipedia hasn't been updated in yonks, but I take it he was still out in Qatar or something?

Swapping the Doha megabucks for Scottish League One. Fair play to him.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

Stopped judging too much based on pre season friendlies years ago.  Can think of multiple times we looked good in the build up to a season that then went badly wrong, and vice versa. 

The seasons start so early now, players aren't getting the same time to fully rest and recover as they did in the past, and it shows by late in the season.  The League Cup has been reduced to "meaningful" friendlies in the group stages when the players are a little further on in training, but are more or less used to get match fit for the league season starting.

Watched some of it last night & all I'd take from it is they looked pretty well organized for so many new arrivals and looks like the general plan will be to play it on the deck as you'd kind of expect from a DL side.  Really don't think there's much else you can read into a game like that this early.  The fact so many trialists were playing suggests we're still in the market to bring in another 2 or 3 anyway, suppose it'll just depend on what we can afford and the quality available.  Might even be an idea to keep doing that during the group stages to see who can cut it when there's a little bit more at stake.

51 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Where's Gregory Tade been for these last few years? His Wikipedia hasn't been updated in yonks, but I take it he was still out in Qatar or something?

Swapping the Doha megabucks for Scottish League One. Fair play to him.

He's been based in Glasgow for a wee bit now and sells Herbalife with big Lee Mair.

12 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

The fact so many trialists were playing suggests we're still in the market to bring in another 2 or 3 anyway, suppose it'll just depend on what we can afford and the quality available.  Might even be an idea to keep doing that during the group stages to see who can cut it when there's a little bit more at stake.

The only trialist was Tade. Everyone else that featured is signed. 

Unless the particular rule has changed, you can't field trialists in the Betfred Cup IIRC.

Edited by C. Muir