Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

How many times have we heard the fact that "if you get the spine of the team" right then the rest can follow. Have we not got a reasonable "spine" in place with Mitchell, Balatoni, Gomis and Goodwillie, throw in Cunningham and Livingstone and this seems a pretty good starter??

Let us give them all a chance to prove themselves.

2 hours ago, chas said:

How many times have we heard the fact that "if you get the spine of the team" right then the rest can follow. Have we not got a reasonable "spine" in place with Mitchell, Balatoni, Gomis and Goodwillie, throw in Cunningham and Livingstone and this seems a pretty good starter??

Let us give them all a chance to prove themselves.

would rather your spine was including Doherty, Page and Jones!!!!!  all ex players....sorry ex East Fife players......

First of all, my user name started when Clyde were having a dire season several years ago, so that can be ignored.

It's all doom and gloom being posted here and we are nowhere near the new season. Let's have bit of common sense and just chuck this negativity. It's a pain in the butt trawling through it all trying to find some news or something interesting. Give the club and the manager half a chance.

On 25/06/2021 at 12:11, Brian Carrigan said:

I'm not sure I've been excited for a Clyde signing since Dylan Easton.

In my experience watching Clyde so many of our best players have come here with very low expectations and have turned out to be some of my favourite players, I don’t imagine  many people  had high expectations when we signed basically a full squad from the juniors and look how that turned out. Let’s just give the new guys a chance. Danny seems to be happy with his new recruits, I would trust Danny’s assessment more than I would trust some of the footballing geniuses on p&b.

1 hour ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

In my experience watching Clyde so many of our best players have come here with very low expectations and have turned out to be some of my favourite players, I don’t imagine  many people  had high expectations when we signed basically a full squad from the juniors and look how that turned out. Let’s just give the new guys a chance. Danny seems to be happy with his new recruits, I would trust Danny’s assessment more than I would trust some of the footballing geniuses on p&b.

Don’t entirely disagree, but remember at that time we basically cherry picked the best junior players in the country, most of them internationals and I assume payed decent money and a promise of full time football . oh for that team again!

To be fair I think then signings of Gomis and Livinston are both fantastic signings and as good as we have signed any other season, Harry Robinson is a young player with a lot of potential. The rest I’m not that aware of so don’t want to comment before I watch then sick a ball.. combined with what we already have we are already a better team than last season.

This reminds of... when was it again...

Oh aye. Every pre-season for the last fifteen years. One gang doesn't like the players we're signing. The other gang has a go at that gang for being negative. And then we're spiteful or vindictive toward one another through the season as one opinion or the other becomes justified by results.

Nobody has written us off. Everyone understands that we'll sign more players. Once we've finished our squad we'll all have our opinions about its chances. Those supporters who're worried about the players we've signed, Gomis and Balatoni aside, aren't wrong or stupid to be worried. For the most part, they've seen the players play with other clubs and they've concluded that we're signing players who either don't have a good track record and/or aren't better players than those players signed by the clubs we'll compete with. They may end up being wrong about how these players work out for us but their views are, as of now, completely reasonable.

Elevating the manager's judgement over that of fellow supporters in order to belittle their views, sarcastically deriding fellow supporters as geniuses and appealing to our collective pity by suggesting that some players who've come in for criticism might read this forum is a silly way to go about our buisness.

There is a bad historical comparison doing the rounds too. In the junior revolution under Maitland, we didn't swoop for players who had profound question marks hung over their ability because of their age, lack of recent success or their apparent trial-and-failure at other senior clubs. We signed ten or maybe eleven players from the juniors. Many of them were known to be winners in terms of their attitude and track record. None of them were over the hill. And almost of all of them were physically strong players. Those facts distinguish the signings we made under Maitland from most of the signings we've made in the past month.

But I go back to what I wrote earlier on. We're not done in the transfer market yet. Two or three quality signings would turn our squad from looking lacklustre, which I think it does at the moment, to looking like one which could fight for a play-off spot.

I was not referring to our own supporters, more the opinions of others who are not too complimentary toward their ex-players. As DL has said he has done his homework and identified these players so I think we should show a little  faith.  I would imagine not too many Clyde fans myself included know much or even anything about these players and have already formed an opinion which i feel is a little unfair.

I was just trying to add a bit of positivity and lift all the doom and gloom.

21 minutes ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

I was not referring to our own supporters, more the opinions of others who are not too complimentary toward their ex-players. As DL has said he has done his homework and identified these players so I think we should show a little  faith.  I would imagine not too many Clyde fans myself included know much or even anything about these players and have already formed an opinion which i feel is a little unfair.

I was just trying to add a bit of positivity and lift all the doom and gloom.

I understand you’re trying to lift the doom and gloom and that’s nice, it really is.

I don’t agree with the sentiment that Clyde fans don’t know anything about these players. I’ve seen Mark Doc, Jonathan Page and Robert Jones play a lot over the past few years. Even then, we all know supporters of their previous clubs. We’re well within our rights to be underwhelmed considering the standard of player the teams “around us” are signing. Teams like Stirling and Stenny have signed more quality than we have for a season in L2.

I honestly hope to f*ck we’re wrong to be so pessimistic and these boys do a turn. I’ll back anyone that wears a Clyde shirt and looks like they care.

Social Media is just like the traditional Mass Media in that bad news and negativity "sells" better than good news, so this thread just conforms with that angle.

My own contribution is just 1 simple statement and 1 simple question:

STATEMENT

When Ronnie MacDonald took over at Clyde and held his first meeting with the fans at Broadwood he opened the show with the direct and no-messing remark that the club were being run by lovely people who had Clyde at heart but who just hadn't a clue how to run a football club!

QUESTION

After all these years since he moved on has anything really changed on that front?

He also said he had no interest in becoming involved in any other football club when his time with Clyde came to an end.

He was also behind the initiative to incorporate Cumbernauld into Clyde’s name.Something those who were so vehement about EK Clyde seem to forget.

Not a fan of his I am afraid.