Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

If money is such a problem (and I have no doubt that it is, with Dumbarton possibly our only peers in that regard), why is it the 23rd June and there's nothing regarding season tickets? That will now come from July pay packets, which means the season will be underway when people might start forking out for the range of other initiatives that are usually offered up. Are they trying to work out how to not insult people's intelligence when genuine queries are raised like last summer? 

The official website/Q&A section is an absolute riot but there's an occasional useful point, like why we (incredibly) haven't been notified of a director being appointed, or why there hasn't been any sort of positive communication regarding the donation of season ticket balances. The whole thing is still a secret society and the majority of our support lives and believes a diet of malicious rumours that are presented as fact, because appropriate communication is not forthcoming. Why are information evenings/AGMs not recorded for the benefit of the supporters who have other commitments, or, alternatively, an officially produced summary distributed? This has gone back well over a decade, including the EK move which was presented over a range of propaganda that contained ONE fact, namely that we would change our name. There was not a single other element of the proposal that was formally defined. There have, of course, been attempts to increase communication, however those have involved new ways of conveying the same information. The change has to be an alteration in the type and detail of information that should be given out.

Never mind the clear lack of counter-arguments and cross analysis of each other's work. A bit of that might see us not racking up inexplicable debts and fielding ineligible players.

I say all of that as someone who fully appreciates the effort put in, under the consistent cloud of unacceptable criticism and timewasting. I'm not wanting individuals to step down. However, the whole club is directionless again, that much is obvious. It needs a figurehead with a much greater presence.

9 hours ago, David W said:

I say all of that as someone who fully appreciates the effort put in, under the consistent cloud of unacceptable criticism and timewasting. I'm not wanting individuals to step down. However, the whole club is directionless again, that much is obvious. It needs a figurehead with a much greater presence.

Agree with this 100%. I was a club owner for several years until I had a bit of an alteration in circumstances and had to withdraw, although I fully intended to buy back into the club when things settled down a bit. However over the course of the next few seasons and with seeing the fact that my mates who also bought in were essentially receiving little to no valuable communication about the running of the club and had no input other than voting for POTY, I decided not to invest again.

To me, our downfall is that we don't have a figurehead with a clear view as to the direction of the club. A Norrie Innes-type, but different (obviously).

For instance re: Graham Diamond. As club owners we should have a detailed breakdown of his recruitment process and our voices should be heard against any of the failings that may come to light. How on earth after the recruitment over the course of the last couple of seasons can he still be in a job? If there are reasons for our relative bottom-feeding ways re: players, he should be justifying them to the club owners in a way that satisfies us or he should be gone. I'm absolutely not comfortable with being an 'owner' in name only.

17 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

Our summer business has been diabolical. We seem to be going for quantity over quality and there’s at least half a dozen players we’ve signed that wouldn’t get a look in at any other team in this league. Very worrying. 

I'm embarrased to say I am scunnered with the whole thing, I cannot believe for one second that these players are on Danny or Allan's first second or even third list of preferred signings, perhaps Balatoni and the boy McGrath arte exceptions. If its down to finance then admit that and tell us. I'd still question the stratigy and I would have gone for one 'quality' player and not 4 guys who we all know even without seeing them will not be good enough... we have all been watching this level of football, for decades some of us, and we know what players are required to get some kind of success.

The club seems to be surrounded with negitivuity  (from myself included) and it would seem from the stuff being put on the Official forum to what would seem to be no communication or leadership from the boardroom. However, at the end of the day my main consern is the product on the pitch and I cannot for the life of me understand the current recruitment, it seems that they have actully given up and are content to be non competative this year. Obviously the club will refute this, but at the risk of repeating myself, supporters know the type or standard of player required and can guage pretty well where a club will finish at the end of the season. Recent recruitment will not see us in anything other that being this years Forfar or previous year Stranraer, simple as that. Unless we are not finished signing and there are 4-5 quality / proven players coming in. Please dont suggest the loan market as the next raft of players coming in and that will make a differece it absolutly wont, again tried that didnt work!       

Rant over...

The whole club is sleepwalking right now, probably to relegation and then who knows?

As pointed out above, the level of communication from the club's hierarchy to its apparent 'owners' has been appalling for a good while now. To offer an example, I submitted two questions to the Zoom meeting a few months back and they still haven't been answered. I didn't understand then why they couldn't have been briefly answered on the night, but to take this long and still have no sign of a response is not good enough. We hear enough from the board members that they only volunteers and that they can't do everything quickly but other clubs in this division look more active and at the very least communicate with the fanbase regularly about the running of the club, transfer business, goals and targets etc.

On that point, what is our target for the upcoming season? Are we just hoping for a miracle that somehow the coaching staff can extract the most out of a poor squad because at the moment we're not even close to other sides in the division and the opportunity for significant strengthening - short of a few shrewd loans and that's hardly a given - is over. I'm not one for indulging in all of the internecine boardroom warfare crap you see on the official site, but the questions over Diamond's role and involvement in recruitment are pertinent. What involvement did he have on this summer's window, what preparations were done in advance and how were these players identified as those who could help us? We don't have answers to these questions because we never hear from him following his initial appointment. I don't have much time for Stuart Millar - no Clyde fan will I suppose - but at least he was out in the media at Airdrie and quoted regularly about their business and where things were.

David W produced a classic example of the issues with communication above. I was fortunate that I had time to attend the Zoom meeting, but I know many others won't have been because of other commitments during a weekday evening. Why are these owners - who are meant to pay for a say in the background operations of the club - being frozen out because they can't attend? Why can't an accurate minute of the meeting be produced by someone? It was only about two hours long if I recall, probably not even as long as that. Community councils made up of volunteers can produce such minutes in a timely manner, so why can't we when there are paid staff and a network of volunteers involved behind the scenes?

It feels as if we're heading down with a whimper and just blurting 'but Broadwood' as the sole excuse for why things have fallen off a cliff in the years following promotion. If we do go back into L2, we're into a league increasingly populated by ambitious clubs eager to move upwards, not just stay where they are. We would have to invest just as significantly to just mark time in that division, never mind get out of it and back up here again. Nobody needs to reiterate the implications of not performing in L2.

Apologies for the lengthy post, but I've been waiting for an opportunity to get these building frustrations off my chest. I'm not denigrating the hours of effort and hard work that are undoubtedly put in by the board in the running of the club and I do have full confidence they have the club's best intentions at heart, but the running of any healthy football club - or organisation for that matter - requires criticism and the pointing out of areas of improvement when they present themselves. 

At least you got the login details for the Zoom meeting. Myself and a number of others didn't.

I've also not been able to get into the owners forum since rejoining and my emails about it have been ignored. I've basically been paying my members fee to receive a sporadic owners update email.

Unless we make 4 or 5 really good signings then we will be going down this season. I also don't believe that these players were anywhere near Lennon's first targets.

The club has been directionless and going backwards at a rate of knots since Norrie Inness left.

I’d love to know the recruitment process and what say Danny and Allan have in it.

It’s hard to believe that they would be just told who you sign, that would be worrying on all sorts of levels. Similarly if they are entirely their signings then again what are they playing at?

Still clinging on to the very unlikely scenario that they are actually going to get 4/5 proper players in and these guys are squad players for Diddy cup etc. Midfield looks utterly shambolic as it stands!

Gomis and Goodie must looking around them and wondering what the hell they are doing there!

This thread is the same doom and gloom every summer. We haven’t seen half of these guys kick a ball for us yet we are consigning ourselves to the lowland league from some posts above.
Not really, there was plenty on here last summer that thought we would be challenging for the promotion play offs after Tom Lang signed.

The difference is we all know that Docherty, Jones, Page and Mortimer aren't good enough for league 1. Three of them have been playing below league 1 for years and Jones was very poor for Dumbarton last season.

I'm happy with the signing of Balatoni, Gomis and Livingstone but the next 4 or 5 need to be of that calibre.

2 hours ago, SLClyde said:

This thread is the same doom and gloom every summer. We haven’t seen half of these guys kick a ball for us yet we are consigning ourselves to the lowland league from some posts above.

Im sure you have watched us and the rest of the league long enough to gauge what is minimal requirement to do anything close to being successful SL much as I admire your optinism, but do you in all honesty, believe that the recent raft of signings will be either good enough or consistant enough as a group to ensure we are not in a religation fight all season?

Edited by FREDDYFRY

2 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Im sure you have watched us and the rest of the league long enough to gauge what is minimal requirement to do anything close to being successful SL much as I admire your optinism, but do you in all honesty, believe that the recent raft of signings will be either good enough or consistant enough as a group to ensure we are not in a religation fight all season?

I think we’ll be nearer the bottom due to the signings the teams above have made but I think we have signed better than last summer. A bunch of ringers from Rangers colts and a few other loans who contributed little overall. 

Iv never been an owner of the club which is why I will very rarely complain about the board in public. However from the outside looking in the fan ownership seems like nothing more than an extra fee on top of a season book in order to gain very little information about the club. The fact there is no fan representation at board level is pretty poor, considering how much money they expect fans to give over. Directors are appointed without owner approval, ex chairman are brought back to advise the board with no owner approval.

All criticism and questions of the board are never addressed and swept under the rug. I fully understand that these  guys are volunteers with other Full Time work etc, but the leadership of this club has been absolutely disgraceful since we got into league 1. After a while the fans have to look at the board and even members on the board and realise that maybe they aren’t fit for purpose anymore. Saying you don’t want people to step down etc is all fair and well if there has been any indication what so ever that things will change, but that hasn’t been the case for years and years. It always has been a boys club that treats a lot of fans with absolute disdain. 

The fan “Ownership” in its current state is an absoloute scam that has relied on the blind faith of fans. Radical change is needed or we will find ourselves battling to just stay in the pyramid of 42. This isn’t doom and gloom. This is just the way it is when there are ambitious teams stepping in and teams like ours disappearing from the pyramid all together. 

In terms of signings, yesterday was pretty poor in all honesty. Gomis and Balatoni I’m pretty excited about, however no one can deny that the 4 yesterday were underwhelming and guys that no one other team in our league would take a punt on.

I’m willing to see them play in a Clyde jersey with our tactics etc before I judge. Rob Jones for example could be a useful signing if deployed right and could benefit from having one of if not the best striker in the league play beside him. 

Edited by Ocelot1877

I just hope none of our new signings are on P&B. 

If any of them are, they're probably questioning why they agreed to sign for us. They're already being told they're rubbish - before they've even kicked a ball for us :(.

I can't say I'm jumping about with excitement about our new signings - but I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt before castigating them. It's not unheard of for players who look as if they've never seen a ball before with one club, to then turn into decent players with another club - where a different manager can bring out the best in them.

Do we trust our manager's judgement, or not?  I do, so let's give his signings a chance before writing them off.

20 minutes ago, clyde4ever said:

If any of them are, they're probably questioning why they agreed to sign for us. They're already being told they're rubbish - before they've even kicked a ball for us :(.

I can't say I'm jumping about with excitement about our new signings - but I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt before castigating them. It's not unheard of for players who look as if they've never seen a ball before with one club, to then turn into decent players with another club - where a different manager can bring out the best in them.

Do we trust our manager's judgement, or not?  I do, so let's give his signings a chance before writing them off.

Stop being so level headed and rational about things. It’s that time of year again where we all have to panic, complain about signings and about how the club is sleepwalking to the lowland league!

If any of them are, they're probably questioning why they agreed to sign for us. They're already being told they're rubbish - before they've even kicked a ball for us [emoji20].

Yeah maybe wait and see what they’re capable of before judging. I will. They’ve been training together for a couple of weeks so Danny and Alan must like what they see [emoji120][emoji120]

15 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Anyone got an idea of final squad numbers based on last two seasons

We’ve got 20 signed, including three keepers and McCormack and Cassidy who presumably won’t be near the first team. So realistically we only have 15 outfield first team players.

18 hours ago, clyde4ever said:

Exactly, we have had  many of our own who were absolutely stinking for us, a few that spring to mind Billy Reid at Accies, Stevie Logan at Meadowbank, Trouten everywhere he has played except for us, Tommy Tait at Accies and Kilmarnock, Kettlewell at Ross County, Darren Henderson the list is endless. FFS let’s give the guys a chance none of them have even kicked a ball for us yet. On the flip side how many signing have we made that got us all excited and turned out to be a total let down.