Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

I was actually quite content with the players we have signed up until today. Will certainly give the boys a chance but I think if we had acted faster we could have signed some much better players than we have today. Other than the ex Celtic boy I think the signings today have been absoutley woeful. Hopefully these are just bench players and the better players are to come but I'm anxious for the start of the season.

As someone said above we still have the loans to come in so we are far from having a full squad yet.

Edited by Jack Phillips

So what's out starting lineup then? I think with signing the two strikers today it seems like we're going to go with two up top so potentially:
                            Mitchell
Mortimer, Balatoni, Page, Livingstone
Cunningham, Cuddihy, Gomis, Love
             Goodwillie, McGrath
If we're going with one up top in a 451 it could be:
                            Mitchell
Mortimer, Balatoni, Page, Livingstone
                    Cuddihy, Gomis,
     Robinson, Cunningham, Love
                          Goodwillie
If those line ups are anywhere close to the starting XI then it won't matter what formation we play.

Unless the next 4 or 5 signings are decent league 1 players then we will be in deep trouble.

Our summer business has been diabolical. We seem to be going for quantity over quality and there’s at least half a dozen players we’ve signed that wouldn’t get a look in at any other team in this league. Very worrying. 

1 hour ago, Only one David Marsh said:

Goalkeeper

David Mitchell

Defenders

Adam Livingstone

Aidan Cassdy

Billy Mortimer 

Jonathon Page

Conrad Balatoni

Scott Rumsby

Midfielders

Barry Cuddihy

Morgaro Gomis

Mark Docherty

Kevin Nicoll

Forwards

Ross Cunningham

Robert Jones

Kieran McGrath

Harry Robinson

Ally Love

David Goodwillie

Scarily Bad

Am going to have nightmares about that squad tonight.

Not one of today's signings is getting good reviews from fans of their previous clubs.

Being very pessimistic regarding our signings, I can only hope that imy pleasantly surprised this season.

However, it does look like we've picked up players that no other team wants.

What the hell does Graham Diamond bring!

24 minutes ago, Clyde85 said:

Am going to have nightmares about that squad tonight.

The back line doesn't scream clean sheet but Balatoni is a decent signing. Clyde generally are always good for a few goals and Gomis and Cuddihy are decent players in midfield. 

Plenty of time for some loan signings. Hopefully you can sign a few of the calibre of Otoo. Rated him when we came up against you last season.

When is your first friendly and are you allowed into the ground? Perhaps will have trialists at those.

Forgot you guys had signed Sparky. Seen him at a Caravan park on holiday at the weekend with his family.

To be fair, you have a few okay players but I would say you need some quality in all areas. Dumbarton have plenty of experience but similarly there is a real risk that it won't work for us. Many of the experienced heads are effectively past their best and some of the younger ones haven't really proven themselves at any serious level.

Plenty time for more business for all teams.

37 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Not one of today's signings is getting good reviews from fans of their previous clubs.

Being very pessimistic regarding our signings, I can only hope that imy pleasantly surprised this season.

However, it does look like we've picked up players that no other team wants.

What the hell does Graham Diamond bring!

I’d be very surprised if any league 2 team wanted Page. He was horrid for Brechin and very surprised he has found a league 1 club*. 

*Clyde player of the year 21/22. 

Looking at the squad, looks like we will be ok upfront, still need someone with a bit of pace for midfield, but looks like we’re hoovering up the dross for defence with the exception of Balatoni.

Should have a solid enough spine with Mitchell, Balatoni, Gomis & Goodwillie which hopefully will help.🤞

Is that the penny beginning to drop then folks? The Company of Honourable Accountants have given DL the lowest budget in the division and asked him to do his best.  Yes it's increased from last year's budget, but is small in comparison to every other clubs' increase.

Do you honestly think those signings would have been his primary targets ? Many of you are looking in the wrong place.  Obviously wish the new lads all the best, & hopefully somehow we can have a better than expected season.  But this is just the beginning.  If you think this summer isn't the best, brace yourselves for when contracts expire in 12 months

36 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Is that the penny beginning to drop then folks? The Company of Honourable Accountants have given DL the lowest budget in the division and asked him to do his best.  Yes it's increased from last year's budget, but is small in comparison to every other clubs' increase.

Do you honestly think those signings would have been his primary targets ? Many of you are looking in the wrong place.  Obviously wish the new lads all the best, & hopefully somehow we can have a better than expected season.  But this is just the beginning.  If you think this summer isn't the best, brace yourselves for when contracts expire in 12 months

Forgive me as I'm probably unaware of current reasons and/or historical contexts but why do Clyde have the lowest budget in the league? On the face of it I can't see why Clyde would be any worse off than Montrose, East Fife or Dumbarton at the very least. Is Broadwood a noose around your necks? Historical debts? Overspent to get to this level in the first place? Apologies if I'm treading old ground. It's just signings like Page, Jones, Docherty (at his current performance level) and your jobber kids last season seem particularly bad for a club that has a performance director and a management team that's been in the lower leagues for a decade plus. 

Can only really speak for two of your signings guys - Page and Balatoni.

Balatoni should do okay for you to be honest - always forget he’s not as old as you think, given it feels like he’s been around forever. He only played a handful of games for us at the beginning of the 17/18 season, where he took a young, inexperienced and weak back line and single-handedly solidified it. Unfortunately, and very much expectedly, he got a deal with Ayr at a higher level and moved on. I’ve seen him a few times for Edinburgh City since and he still looked pretty handy.

Page, by contrast, was honking. He signed for us for the 18/19 season and I was pretty hopeful given he’d been relatively solid in previous seasons for EF. He started the season at the back with Sean Crighton and they actually looked a decent pairing; however he was part of the defence that conspired to lose 4-3 to Raith Rovers, at home, after leading 3-1 and having a man advantage with 5 mins to go. He hardly got a look in after that and when Murray came in, he rightly binned him. As others have said, he was woefully unfit and didn’t have a great attitude.

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Forgive me as I'm probably unaware of current reasons and/or historical contexts but why do Clyde have the lowest budget in the league? On the face of it I can't see why Clyde would be any worse off than Montrose, East Fife or Dumbarton at the very least. Is Broadwood a noose around your necks? Historical debts? Overspent to get to this level in the first place? Apologies if I'm treading old ground. It's just signings like Page, Jones, Docherty (at his current performance level) and your jobber kids last season seem particularly bad for a club that has a performance director and a management team that's been in the lower leagues for a decade plus. 

Without knowing all the details, our directors are always quick to tell us what a drain Broadwood is on our resources. At a recent owners meeting, there was something about Peterhead being able to draw in a fairly significant amount of extra weekly income purely through a café at Balmoor and that’s before other corporate opportunities or pitch rental.

In saying that, our board are an absolute shambles and somehow managed to end up with a huge catering bill from our former Chairman. It was the latest event of an ongoing omnishambles. I believe our board have more or less admitted there was a bit of overspend to get promoted in the first place although, I believe that may have been paid back (I’m not 100% sure on my facts there tbf).

Without knowing all the details, our directors are always quick to tell us what a drain Broadwood is on our resources. At a recent owners meeting, there was something about Peterhead being able to draw in a fairly significant amount of extra weekly income purely through a café at Balmoor and that’s before other corporate opportunities or pitch rental.
In saying that, our board are an absolute shambles and somehow managed to end up with a huge catering bill from our former Chairman. It was the latest event of an ongoing omnishambles. I believe our board have more or less admitted there was a bit of overspend to get promoted in the first place although, I believe that may have been paid back (I’m not 100% sure on my facts there tbf).
We were supposed to have our version with the Arrira lounge yet we made a complete mess of that and I don't think the Clyde Events thing mentioned on the below even got off the ground.

The owners email that came out explaining the shambles at board level was horrific reading.

https://m.clydefc.co.uk/news/2018/02/01/5727/#.YNOqbhjTVkw