Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Page looked absolutely done at Airdrie, very slow and never looked fit. We paid money for him and gave him a two year deal, I think of all our recent signings he probably has to go down as the worst given he must have been on a decent wage. Ian Murray transfer listed him after his first season and I remember Page giving an interview saying he deserved another chance as he was now feeling fit again, as if it’s fine that he spent the full previous season woefully off the pace. Who knows, he might be better for Clyde but I think Balatoni has a tough job playing with Page or Rumsby. 

37 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Will give him a chance but despite him only apparently being there because of reasons outside football, it still seems astonishing that Lennon has looked at Brechin's last couple of seasons and thought signing any of their players was a good idea. 

I never rated Page even when he was supposedly ‘good’. He was always a big haddy. And when he was with us he was the embodiment of physically ‘done’. Had the mobility of post Hell in a Cell Mick Foley and looked like he was struggling to move let alone play football. I’m not sure if there were circumstances around his lack of fitness but whatever the circumstances he’s been dreadful for at least 3 years now. I’d pray Conrad Balatoni has his working boots on. 

Where’s the boy who said you should sign Callum Fordyce and Josh Kerr btw? 

Goalkeeper

David Mitchell

Defenders

Adam Livingstone

Aidan Cassdy

Billy Mortimer 

Jonathon Page

Conrad Balatoni

Scott Rumsby

Midfielders

Barry Cuddihy

Morgaro Gomis

Mark Docherty

Kevin Nicoll

Forwards

Ross Cunningham

Robert Jones

Kieran McGrath

Harry Robinson

Ally Love

David Goodwillie

Scarily Bad

Edited by Only one David Marsh

On the face of it the signings don’t look encouraging to say the least. However, one of the last times we had a big recruitment drive where we plucked a large chunk of our team from outwith the pro leagues/ the juniors, turned out to be the start of one of the most successful periods of our recent history.

I’ll be giving them all the benefit of the doubt and judging them on performances in a Clyde shirt.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

Buckle up folks. We are going to be honking this year. I can’t believe after that East Fife game, I convinced myself that Ray Grant was going to sign, Jamieson would come back on loan and we’d pick up some decent League One players e.g. Watson. What a fool I am!

Not that I think he’s any good either but we couldn’t even sign Blair Henderson. At least he’s a big diddy who has scored a few goals in his career. Jones has contributed the square root of nothing everywhere he’s been.

3 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Honking, reading Lennon’s comments on the website regarding these signings I genuinely think he’s lost the plot.

It’s probably more along the lines of he knows how negatively these signings will be regarded, so he’s trying to put an overly positive spin on it to assure us that the management don’t think they’re signing diddies.

Just now, David W said:

Where would people pitch this as a League 2 squad?

It’s certainly on first glance the least impressive Clyde squad I’ve seen in years. Got to hope that there’s a couple more signings in the can, that can’t be our midfield going into next season. 

If it had just been the ex Celtic boy on its own, I’d have said; aye ok let’s wait and see, but coupled with the rest today I am not confident at all that we are not going to struggle. Will be absolutely delighted to be wrong but to say I’m disappointed on a day when we make umpteen signings is an understatement. Especially given Danny’s history now of summer signings.

I pray he proves me wrong and it’s not a season too far with poor recruitment.

3 minutes ago, David W said:

I remember the phrase “mid level League 2” getting thrown around by the directors in relation to our budget at that meeting a month or so back.

It’s just became reality.

I’ve mentioned it previously but I think the budget must still be pretty poor compared to the rest of the league. Whilst we’ve raised our budget other teams will have too. I don’t for one minute think Lennon’s first choice centre-half target was Page. In saying that, releasing McNiff and Syvertsen and bringing in Page and Jones etc is a nonsense. It’s undoubtedly his biggest flaw as manager. That and his constant bitch slaps by Jim McInally.

4 minutes ago, David W said:

4th, with the Goodwillie factor probably enough to scrape into the play offs.

So what's out starting lineup then? I think with signing the two strikers today it seems like we're going to go with two up top so potentially:

Mitchell

Mortimer, Balatoni, Page, Livingstone

Cunningham, Cuddihy, Gomis, Love

Goodwillie, McGrath

If we're going with one up top in a 451 it could be:

Mitchell

Mortimer, Balatoni, Page, Livingstone

Cuddihy, Gomis,

Robinson, Cunningham, Love

Goodwillie