Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Guest andyp1301
7 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Howie is decent enough but there are better options plus he was a bit injury prone. All the best as I wouldn’t have minded keeping him but he is replaceable. 

Agree completely, but again like Grant...another player turning us down.....that's where the concern is.

Guest andyp1301
7 hours ago, Jack Phillips said:

You would like to think with the personal that we have in the management team of Danny Lennon and Allan Moore. Sporting Director Graham Diamond and head of recruitment PJ Corr that we would make some decent signings but after January I’m a bit anxious of what’s to come but only time will tell I guess.

Graham Diamond resigned in October last year as Sporting Director. Probably when it dawned on him that Board roles are voluntary. He is now Head of Football Operations on a salary. Can't wait to see the fruits of his year long salary and all his efforts during last season.......I won't be holding my breath.

Guest andyp1301
7 hours ago, David W said:

It's not really that simple though, is it? 

Howie is the only player that I think it was unanimous, or close to, that we should retain. Along with Mitchell, Goodwillie and Lang, he was the only player who was a clear, League 1 standard player. Not outstanding but he's the kind of player that Montrose and East Fife have throughout their squad and that they retain year on year.

If it was a case of replacing him, then fair enough, you'd be right. However, we also need to replace a better player in Lang and also McNiff as well. Finding three centre halves (assuming Rumsby signs, fingers crossed he doesn't and we're looking for four) will be a real struggle, never mind the fact we need multiple full-backs, an entire midfield and some sort of attacking talent. With Lennon's record in recruiting players, losing one of the few competent ones that we had is a complete disaster.

Fear not DW.....Our Head of Football Ops will step up surely?

So reckon we will go with this line-up:

Mitchell

Nicoll                                                                       Love

Goodie

Surely can't fail with that diamond formation !

Talking of Diamond, get the fkn finger oot !

It is early of course, but given our recruitment record I am extremely concerned at the moment. Realistically, we need at least ten new heads in (assuming all four outstanding renewals are signed), and we'll need most of them to be better than the players we've lost or let go.

Guest andyp1301

Howie signed for Alloa.......""In the last couple of years it's been a bit of a relegation battle, the prospect of looking to challenge next season in what is going to be a really competitive league is just something I thought I'd want to grab."

Can we panic yet?

It's early days but the worry for me is we have failed to keep the majority of our best players the last couple of seasons.

If you look at the teams that have come up from league 2 and done well such as Arbroath, Alloa, East Fife and Montrose they have kept a good group together and added some quality signings each year.

Clyde on the other hand have lost pretty much every decent player from the promotion squad apart from Goodwillie and only retained Mitchell.

It's difficult enough to find a couple of decent players each season never mind the 10+ we are going to need.

1 hour ago, andyp1301 said:

Howie signed for Alloa.......""In the last couple of years it's been a bit of a relegation battle, the prospect of looking to challenge next season in what is going to be a really competitive league is just something I thought I'd want to grab."

Can we panic yet?

There is absolutely no reason to NOT panic. 

Offering contracts to players who aren't good enough. Missing out on players who are. A manager who struggles with recruiting players and a recruitment team who have proved nothing. The two teams we should be aspiring to catch have entire squads signed up.

I dread to think what Monday will throw up but a bit of panic might see people asking the right questions.

24 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

... Well now that the cat's out the bag. Is he any good?

He is a good player. Very composed on the ball, sometimes to the point where he over plays. You wouldn't say he's lightning quick or outstanding in the air, but similarily you will struggle to see him beaten for pace or beaten challenging in the air, possibly as he'll read the game quite well and judges when to press/step off well. It's a huge blow for us to not retain him in all honesty.

He's a strange one as although he played well in nearly every game (as a centre half), you wouldn't take him over Tom Lang, or indeed talk about him as one of the top defenders in the league. Perhaps an extension of the fact we did spend a lot of the last two seasons playing him at right back and in centre midfield.

4 minutes ago, David W said:

He is a good player. Very composed on the ball, sometimes to the point where he over plays. You wouldn't say he's lightning quick or outstanding in the air, but similarily you will struggle to see him beaten for pace or beaten challenging in the air, possibly as he'll read the game quite well and judges when to press/step off well. It's a huge blow for us to not retain him in all honesty.

He's a strange one as although he played well in nearly every game (as a centre half), you wouldn't take him over Tom Lang, or indeed talk about him as one of the top defenders in the league. Perhaps an extension of the fact we did spend a lot of the last two seasons playing him at right back and in centre midfield.

Over playing from the back was one of our strong points from speaking to Paul Hartley after the Cove game . He'll fit right in.

Edited by LeodhasXD