Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

It's been pretty obvious from early on that we would be a poor team this season. That hasn't helped. We are genuinely dreadful to watch. Even our two most recent wins were complete flukes.

The viewing experience is obviously better than nothing and David Jack deserves huge credit for the commentary that he's provided, but it's nearly impossible to make out the majority of the Clyde team, never mind the opposition players. I've no idea why the company can't program their system to zoom in occasionally.

Losing the match day experience, even if it's just the fact my programme has turned up after the match on more occasions than not. I've a pair of thermals that arrived last March that I've not been able to wear yet. Everyone has a routine, nobody has been following that; it just doesn't feel right sitting down in front of the telly at 2.55 pm, even if I've been able to have more productive Saturdays than usual. There's also the frustration that this should have been a cracking division to take part in.

I think the thing that's annoyed me most though has been the ambivalence from the football "community" to people outside their wee bubble. In the last 9 months, the wider world was only allowed to have a game of fives for about two of those. Nearly all of us have not been to a stadium in the same period of time.

I do not need to hear of:

• Failed politicians being snuck into games in Tier 4 areas.
  • Footballers going for a wee trip abroad and failing to isolate on their return.
  • Footballers going out in a large group for dinner/drinks.
  • Clubs organising pointless Glasgow Cup ties.
  • Club Chaplains who can't be bothered trekking the country for a match they somehow, inexplicably, had permission to attend. 
  • Club/matchday sponsors being allowed attendance, presumably because they paid a wee bit more than the £100s I have donated since the pandemic began.  I have no idea why directors (covid officer excepting) or scouts are anywhere near stadiums either.

I bet the referees are absolutely loving it.

Edited by David W

Unless you are absolutely essential to the game going ahead you should not be in attendance. Why should the supporters miss out when others attend due to being friends or ‘guests’ of directors. When the club needed our support financially we helped them & now we are desperate to be in the ground don’t slap us in the face. 

The most depressing thing is that after 10 years stuck in league 2 we have had last season curtailed, just when we started to look good, and this season is behind closed doors. Unless we have a good January transfer window by the time we can get back to the football it will be back to the purgatory of league 2.

The fact that ‘no fans’ have been allowed back into Broadwood since the 7th March I can’t comprehend.

The club have done everything they can to cover all Covid bases. Can’t imagine the players are enjoying the beautiful game with nobody in the stadium.

This quite clearly isn’t solely about a virus. No dates have been given at any point, the rhetoric (in March) was all about a ‘new normal’ . We may never go back to normal, which is a very distinct possibility. Based on a death rate that is below 1%.

Benefits to watching a stream instead of being at game

1. Alcohol on tap

2. Being able to hide behind the sofa when we are scarily shite 

3. Can watch with the dug

4. Defeat doesn't hurt as much (see point 1)

I'd go back to the ground in a heartbeat even if there were restrictions though.

1 hour ago, TheBigGuy said:

The club have done everything they can to cover all Covid bases.

Lets hope so to avoid 2 0-3s for the postponed games, but the recent posts talking about folk that shouldn't be there going to the games never mind the audible screaming weans at a recent home game, I'm not overly confident of that.

2 hours ago, TheBigGuy said:

The fact that ‘no fans’ have been allowed back into Broadwood since the 7th March I can’t comprehend.

The club have done everything they can to cover all Covid bases. Can’t imagine the players are enjoying the beautiful game with nobody in the stadium.

This quite clearly isn’t solely about a virus. No dates have been given at any point, the rhetoric (in March) was all about a ‘new normal’ . We may never go back to normal, which is a very distinct possibility. Based on a death rate that is below 1%.

space earth GIF

You're entitled to feel the way you feel, I get it.

Should Broadwood have been opened?  Many Clyde fans might say yes rationalizing that we could have maintained social-distancing with our usual attendance, but I guess it's more complicated than that with people being pushed together through turnstiles on the way in, and the exit at the end.  1% mortality is pretty big, and the club and the SFA probably feel they need to be mindful of corporate responsibility and governance.

Pre season, playing poor opposition, may have created false optimism and the gap between that and the reality hurts.  We do look competent at points in most games. We equally look inept.  At this level, inconsistency is the norm.

As to our standing in the league: performance wise we're probably a bit below average.  Financially, I'm not sure we're much worse off than most. The full time and blended squads must be pishing money. The rest are probably no better or worse off than us? 

I've been there through the Alex Smith, Gardener Spiers, Brown, Miller and Chapman and enjoyed very little of that.  Few things in life are for ever.

2 hours ago, TheBigGuy said:

Indeed.  The government(s) refuse to listen to common sense from numerous medical and legal professionals and are going against previous pandemic planning.  It seems children and healthy adults with no symptoms don’t transmit the virus but we keep testing healthy people with a flawed process that generates false positives at an alarming rate and these are presented to us as “cases”.  More ICU and general ward beds free than normal for December and a London Nightingale hospital dismantled, suggesting a lack of demand, not an NHS under more pressure than normal.  No evidence presented to show that the dictatorial measures work or that the many negative and fatal impacts of them can be justified.  Protest about it and you could be arrested by police now instructed to ignore their declaration to respect people’s fundamental human rights (ironically, if you want to protest about the government’s lack of transparent risk assessment, you need to provide a protest risk assessment).   Not enjoying the unnecessary absence from Broadwood nor the many other completely avoidable restrictions.  The reparations from China should be huge.

Indeed.  The government(s) refuse to listen to common sense from numerous medical and legal professionals and are going against previous pandemic planning.  It seems children and healthy adults with no symptoms don’t transmit the virus but we keep testing healthy people with a flawed process that generates false positives at an alarming rate and these are presented to us as “cases”.  More ICU and general ward beds free than normal for December and a London Nightingale hospital dismantled, suggesting a lack of demand, not an NHS under more pressure than normal.  No evidence presented to show that the dictatorial measures work or that the many negative and fatal impacts of them can be justified.  Protest about it and you could be arrested by police now instructed to ignore their declaration to respect people’s fundamental human rights (ironically, if you want to protest about the government’s lack of transparent risk assessment, you need to provide a protest risk assessment).   Not enjoying the unnecessary absence from Broadwood nor the many other completely avoidable restrictions.  The reparations from China should be huge.

Thank God you're not in charge.

3 hours ago, SLClyde said:

There’s only hundreds dying a day with covid but aye it’s no that bad. 

“With” being the operative word.  We’re not shown the true picture of how bad it is due to the false positive (and increasing) testing contaminating the data.  Consequently, we don’t know how bad it really is.  Also, how many are dying and will do so for years because of the consequences of restrictions on everyone’s lives including the denial of healthcare and the inevitable NHS cuts due to the damage to the economy?  Why won’t the government give us that comparison?  What convinced them stopping or delaying cancer treatment was an acceptable risk?  Aren’t we entitled to know?

You do realise that false positives are proportional to the overall number of positive tests, meaning that genuine cases are still also increasing at a rate of knots? You're right, we don't know how bad it is - despite countless testimonies from NHS workers about a) how stretched they are, b) ambulances queuing outside of hospitals and c) how the Nightingale operation was disbanded due to staffing/resource issues, the government and the media are largely unwilling to come out and admit just how grim the situation is. This is only five days after Christmas as well, and judging by the amount of folk I'm seeing completely ignoring restrictions tonight it could be a very, very bleak few weeks. Another thing to consider is that the more prevalent the virus is, the more likely mutations are to occur. All it takes is one bad piece of luck and you're talking about a variant which we don't have a vaccine for, which has a very different profile of spike proteins and basically means that we have to choose between what we have just now in perpetuity, or just accepting that we have to compromise all the vulnerable in society for the 'greater good'.

As for restrictions, it is pretty much entirely the governments' (Scottish and UK) fault that we are where we are right now. You can blame China all you want, and they've obfuscated huge aspects of the initial outbreak and origins of the virus, but once it spread worldwide it then became about the response of each individual country. Ours has failed miserably, perpetually dragging its heels and displaying a reactive strategy throughout, one that's without any consistency in messaging and has left people completely disenfranchised. And that's just the tip of the iceberg regarding their behaviours, particularly in the case of the UK one.

To anyone who seriously thinks there is a conspiracy at work here and a "truth" to be found, I ask this: what exactly is there to be gained from measures being tougher than they have to be? There are people winning out of this virus, as there are when it comes to literally any situation, but economies are largely goosed and the fallout from this will last for decades.

And to think I was starting to be depressed simply by Clyde fans' over-the-top forecasts of doom. 

12 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

You do realise that false positives are proportional to the overall number of positive tests, meaning that genuine cases are still also increasing at a rate of knots? You're right, we don't know how bad it is - despite countless testimonies from NHS workers about a) how stretched they are, b) ambulances queuing outside of hospitals and c) how the Nightingale operation was disbanded due to staffing/resource issues, the government and the media are largely unwilling to come out and admit just how grim the situation is. This is only five days after Christmas as well, and judging by the amount of folk I'm seeing completely ignoring restrictions tonight it could be a very, very bleak few weeks. Another thing to consider is that the more prevalent the virus is, the more likely mutations are to occur. All it takes is one bad piece of luck and you're talking about a variant which we don't have a vaccine for, which has a very different profile of spike proteins and basically means that we have to choose between what we have just now in perpetuity, or just accepting that we have to compromise all the vulnerable in society for the 'greater good'.

As for restrictions, it is pretty much entirely the governments' (Scottish and UK) fault that we are where we are right now. You can blame China all you want, and they've obfuscated huge aspects of the initial outbreak and origins of the virus, but once it spread worldwide it then became about the response of each individual country. Ours has failed miserably, perpetually dragging its heels and displaying a reactive strategy throughout, one that's without any consistency in messaging and has left people completely disenfranchised. And that's just the tip of the iceberg regarding their behaviours, particularly in the case of the UK one.

To anyone who seriously thinks there is a conspiracy at work here and a "truth" to be found, I ask this: what exactly is there to be gained from measures being tougher than they have to be? There are people winning out of this virus, as there are when it comes to literally any situation, but economies are largely goosed and the fallout from this will last for decades.

And to think I was starting to be depressed simply by Clyde fans' over-the-top forecasts of doom. 

My big concern is , the new variant has been around for 2 months, the government and scientists were aware etc,    Why were the gov and devolved govs happy for us to have a 5 day free for all at Christmas with little restrictions on place,   This apparent runaway train has been coming and if it wasn't for relative last ditch interventions by Gov medical advisors etc and scientists, we are staying oblivion straight in the face here,    Why were they prepared to throw us all under a bus,   Herd Immunity or looking for somebody to blame as in the great British tax payer...

Berwick Rangers one of my favourite awaydays, hopefully you have bottomed out and gradually fight your way back up...