Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

1 hour ago, David W said:

I was talking to a coach of a Premier league youth team about a year ago and he quite openly admitted that they only think a small number of players in any "year-group" will get near making it (and by that, he didn't even mean getting into their first team, just that they might end up elsewhere and possibly bring in a fee). But they need to carry another 15 bodies to make up the numbers for training and matches.

Rangers will know already that Shiels won't get near their team but they can send him out on loan (recouping a chunk of his wages) and still use him as they please in youth/reserve/Challenge cup matches.

Came across this several years ago when my youngest was asked to move from Scotland BC , based in Glasgow, to play for Aberdeen BC (also Glasgow) who of course would go up to Aberdeen every couple of weeks for training, coaching or matches. It was the first time I came across the word 'filler' as they needed 11-12 boys who were capable in their own right to make up the numbers for the 1 or 2 who might make it. Of course the coaches will never tell you that to your face so in fact you are left to judge your boy's ability & chances yourself. That travel made it an easy decision in that particular case..

Edited by SouthLanarkshireWhite

It’s well known in pro youth set up, similar story with my son; at end of the day 3  players, out of a decent side actually, (probably statically more than usual) eventually played first team football. Only one now still plays- Shankland- so a clue as to the side.

It was obvious to most that the set up across the club was to accommodate 2-3 players in most age groups.

Fortunately both my boy and I were comfortable enough just to enjoy the football no illusions about being a professional player.

Edited by FREDDYFRY

This discussion is one of the main reasons I don't support having Old Firm colt sides in the league. The idea that a player plays in L2 that the ugly sisters know fine well won't get anywhere near their first team, so they can sell them on for a small fee or help them nurture the couple of players that MAY make it in their own first teams doesn't sit well with me.

There is an argument for the other side though, in that at least the players both end up filtering down the ladder in some way or another. Looking at the teams from the 2017 Youth Cup Final, all 18 Celtic players listed have played regular first team football across the leagues in Scotland with only Mikey Johnstone still in contention for the Celtic first team. By my count 13 of the Rangers players are in the same boat with only really Goalie McCrorie in with any kind of a shout of playing first team games.

There are a few players in the Rangers team that were (or will be) sold/compensated for however (Gilmour, McCrorie, Rudden, Atakayi, Dallas at the very least) so I'd be interested to know what proportion of the funds raised goes towards the youth set up/scouting/signing players from other youth teams.

That's a good signing. Can't ever have enough attacking players who are on Goodwillie's wavelength. Play him and Syvertsen either side of DGW and we should have two players that will support him with some goals.

Always a question whether full-timers lose a bit of sharpness/fitness when dropping to part-time; hopefully he isn't affected by that.

Need good midfielders to supply that front line now. And a centre half obviously.

Interesting comments about Gregg Wylde too. Certainly lacked a bit of hunger and dig during his short time with us.

Danny Lennon on bringing back National Service and the school belt though...

Edited by Scott-Replay

44 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

Interesting comments about Gregg Wylde too. Certainly lacked a bit of hunger and dig during his short time with us.

The man has a point. It wouldn't go amiss with some of the fuckwits in this country.

6 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

Absolutely bring back the belt, if the last generation and the one before that got the belt then their wouldn't be so many disrespectful wee c***s out there, the same ones who breed their own line of disrespectful wee c***s. Seen it before in schools when teachers are telling parents of their kids behaviour for the parent not to give a f**k... 

Anyway, I love Danny Lennon 😍