Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Trouble position hopefully the boy hits the ground running. A loan hopefully means no major dent in the budget and that can be used to build out the midfield and central defence along with any other loans we can get done too.

Think this gives us an even clearer indication of our budget next season. I can’t imagine for a second that Shiels was ever our first choice for a left back. Out of the rumoured Quitongo and, I’d assume, Adam Livingstone, Shiels is by far the least experienced option. I sincerely hope that he does a good job for us next season but given this appraisal of him on the Dumbarton thread, I’m not holding my breath:

Matthew Shiels - I don't know why we bother with Rangers loan players. Matthew Shiels, a striker turned winger, turned left-back can go into the pile of instantly forgettable Rangers loan players we've had. He was injured for ages, played and didn't look up to much and then found Jordan McMillan preferred over him in his new natural position when Rico Quitongo got injured against Falkirk. His parents then kicked off when a comment was made in the stand about that reflecting on his ability. He's tall, quick and strong. But he doesn't appear to fancy the physical side of the game much, and I really don't think he's a defender. 1/10

14 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

Having had a look at Dumbarton’s thread, it sounds as though he was pretty rubbish on loan at them last season.

Hopefully has improved in the 9/10 months since he left there.

Still only 19, so have faith in Danny and Alan to bring him on. God knows we need a left back, so good news at least for now !

Edited by macclyde+

SHIEL(d)S[emoji3059]

Joking aside

Cant be on a bigger wage like many bench warmers last season who couldnt get a game in front of a couple average guys from 21s. many times last season (Wallace. Smith. Petkov to name a few)

Dumbarton said Lang wasnt up to much , not a criticism of their opinions but like this young lad he hardly played enough games to get a reference bit like TM in his 6 odd games..

Yes weve had better players from Ayr United than sevco in my time but this season is going to be a very tough one for us more than ever & league status rebuilding again slowly more important that signing a recognised potential guff player (See Above)...

Welcome to our club and wish him all the best..

Yer Mithers pride[emoji1267]

Looking at the incomings and out goings, it is going to be a bigger struggle this season to survive. Danny is probably bringing in the best the club can afford.

Cove won't be shipping 6 at Broadwood that is for sure.

On Shiels, he looked like a lost boy when they brought him on in the game we won in Dumbarton. McStay was in one of his beast modes and had the run of that side of the pitch.

I'd also say though that playing left back for DL is different than playing left back for Duffy. He'll be expected to defend higher up the pitch and in wider areas, where pace rather than physicality is important. Makes it even more crucial that we sign a quality CH and energetic midfielders. If we are playing a deep, tight back four I think he'll be a disaster.

I wonder what input our various directors of recruitment and the like had in this. I think it's been obvious that DL's major flaw has been some absolutely awful signings.

13 hours ago, David W said:

On Shiels, he looked like a lost boy when they brought him on in the game we won in Dumbarton. McStay was in one of his beast modes and had the run of that side of the pitch.

I'd also say though that playing left back for DL is different than playing left back for Duffy. He'll be expected to defend higher up the pitch and in wider areas, where pace rather than physicality is important. Makes it even more crucial that we sign a quality CH and energetic midfielders. If we are playing a deep, tight back four I think he'll be a disaster.

I wonder what input our various directors of recruitment and the like had in this. I think it's been obvious that DL's major flaw has been some absolutely awful signings.

He must have something about him or he'd have been emptied by Rangers, surely? 

Who knows, he may fit better with us than he's done previously at clubs. (This may be heresy, but I saw very little in Archiebald at Clyde!)  With all the discussions about new appointments, we can't hide our poor record of signings over the last few years under DL.

Edited by Bully Wee Clyde FC

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

(This may be heresy, but I saw very little in Archiebald at Clyde!) 

Absolutely agree with this - I never found a more annoying player than him and how he ever got where he did astounds me!

Absolutely agree with this - I never found a more annoying player than him and how he ever got where he did astounds me!

This opens up a WHOLE new discussion on players that didn’t do well at Clyde but improved after they left. Joe Cardle is my starting point

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

He must have something about him or he'd have been emptied by Rangers, surely? 

Who knows, he may fit better with us than he's done previously at clubs. (This may be heresy, but I saw very little in Archiebald at Clyde!)  With all the discussions about new appointments, we can't hide our poor record of signings over the last few years under DL.

I was talking to a coach of a Premier league youth team about a year ago and he quite openly admitted that they only think a small number of players in any "year-group" will get near making it (and by that, he didn't even mean getting into their first team, just that they might end up elsewhere and possibly bring in a fee). But they need to carry another 15 bodies to make up the numbers for training and matches.

Rangers will know already that Shiels won't get near their team but they can send him out on loan (recouping a chunk of his wages) and still use him as they please in youth/reserve/Challenge cup matches.