Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Guest andyp1301
2 hours ago, haufdaft said:
2 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:
I'm sure the idea at the very least had his blessing; at no point did I say he was "actively involved", but you knew that already of course. Do feel free to go ahead and explain that debt yourself since you seem to be so well-informed!

At the time the club stated "Danny was informed and involved throughout, agreeing the remit of the role together (with the board)".

mmmmmm

Guest andyp1301
5 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:
6 hours ago, andyp1301 said:
I have no need or desire to explain it.

So no idea then? Gotcha, Andy, ta.

Why are you so hung up on perceived previous losses? To undermine the success of the promotion season? The accounts are skewed due to differences in the fiscal yer, the Club financial year and the timing of club income generation. Also, the debt to our former chairman ( agreed by the Club) is in the accounts, which show on paper , a loss. Helpful when mitigating Corporation tax which is paid on Co profit and not turnover.

The fact Club is now unable to show a loss is testament to the risk and reward strategy which saw us gain promotion and the fact we are now enjoying a very healthy bank balance.

Not really sure what your point scoring exercise is leading to.

Guest andyp1301
6 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:
8 hours ago, andyp1301 said:
I have no need or desire to explain it.

So no idea then? Gotcha, Andy, ta.

Gotcha? Really? If you put as much effort into trying to actually help the Club progress as you do trying to trip up others, who do just that - things would improve I'm sure.

10 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Maybe says more about Grant than anything else?

I think Stirling are a much more attractive proposition than us at the moment. They have a good squad, pay well and will be pushing for the title next season whereas we will be lucky to be pushing for the play offs, considering the potential standard of team in L1 next season.

Also, Grant is a bit of a hero to us - so to a lesser extent the chances are he wouldn’t want to come back, potentially be shite and have us hate him.

tl;dr - I don’t blame him, think most would do the same in playing at a slightly lower level for more success.

Guest andyp1301
1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I think Stirling are a much more attractive proposition than us at the moment. They have a good squad, pay well and will be pushing for the title next season whereas we will be lucky to be pushing for the play offs, considering the potential standard of team in L1 next season.

Also, Grant is a bit of a hero to us - so to a lesser extent the chances are he wouldn’t want to come back, potentially be shite and have us hate him.

tl;dr - I don’t blame him, think most would do the same in playing at a slightly lower level for more success.

Whatever the reason - his decision has been made. Onwards I guess.

2 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I read about Grant heading to Stirling so I took a look at their squad. We've not been in the same league as them for years and I'm not familiar with all their players but to me at least, it looks like a very bog-standard L2 squad plus Andy Ryan. Seems to me like they've maybe not got this massive budget for L2 but are either taking the decision to spend big on one or two 'marquee' signings or they've got a fan or fans who're willing to help pay wages for bigger signings.

Guest andyp1301
12 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

I cannot see how Stirling are a more attractive proposition than us in any way whatsoever.

Me neither, but Raymond clearly does.

Gotcha? Really? If you put as much effort into trying to actually help the Club progress as you do trying to trip up others, who do just that - things would improve I'm sure.
The irony in this statement is borderline unbelievable, but we shall leave it at a polite disagreement!

Guest andyp1301
7 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:
6 hours ago, andyp1301 said:

The irony in this statement is borderline unbelievable, but we shall leave it at a polite disagreement!

Lol...lets. I love a bit of irony, don't you?

Bests

7 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

I cannot see how Stirling are a more attractive proposition than us in any way whatsoever.

Because Stirling will be going for a league title or promotion, we’ll be in a relegation battle, and he’ll be getting more money so he’ll be happier on the park and more money off it. It doesn’t really take wild mental gymnastics to work it out. Same reason the likes of Jack Leitch/Andy Ryan go there and stay there.

9 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

I read about Grant heading to Stirling so I took a look at their squad. We've not been in the same league as them for years and I'm not familiar with all their players but to me at least, it looks like a very bog-standard L2 squad plus Andy Ryan. Seems to me like they've maybe not got this massive budget for L2 but are either taking the decision to spend big on one or two 'marquee' signings or they've got a fan or fans who're willing to help pay wages for bigger signings.

Paul McLean, Jordan McGregor, Jack Leitch, Dylan Bikey, Declan Byrne and David Wilson are all very decent players for either L1/2. Add to that Grant and Ryan, and Currie is a fine enough keeper on his day and that’s the bones of good squad.

Am I reading too much into it or do those quotes from Lennon make it sound as if Nicoll might be rather more than a sub and good guy in the dressing room next season?

Our defensive record did improve when he came into midfield but not sure that wasn’t as much to do with tightening our style of play as anything else.

1 minute ago, Ignoramus said:

Am I reading too much into it or do those quotes from Lennon make it sound as if Nicoll might be rather more than a sub and good guy in the dressing room next season?

Our defensive record did improve when he came into midfield but not sure that wasn’t as much to do with tightening our style of play as anything else.

Said that in our group chat there. Also "brings the best out the players around him" is a confusing one considering we completely abandon playing football when he's in the side. 

Don't mind him to see out games at times and starting the odd game that suits but as you say, sound like he's going to be used more than that. 

Edited by C. Muir

32 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Because Stirling will be going for a league title or promotion, we’ll be in a relegation battle, and he’ll be getting more money so he’ll be happier on the park and more money off it. It doesn’t really take wild mental gymnastics to work it out. Same reason the likes of Jack Leitch/Andy Ryan go there and stay there.

You’re easily wound up, int ye?

the fact we are playing in a better league against better teams with better players in our squad than Stirling should be the selling point to Grant if he is ambitious about his career considering he is only 24. 

Also, given we haven’t really done any business, it’s a bit premature to say we will be in a relegation battle - which is exactly what Alloa were in last season, by the way.

Andy Ryan & Jack Leitch have been there for a grand total of 1 season each as well.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

I agree with Danny's comments about Love and Nicoll. Although both will have to be used sparingly. I think most supporters agree.

If we had to play an away game in the cup and it was to be played on a tight grass pitch, Nicoll's an ace up our sleeve. That's quite a limited niche of course! But even where we find ourselves in a slugfest away at Peterhead, Dumbarton or Morton if they come down, there I can see him adding something. Something that isn't easy to replace. However, inbetween those games, unless we're playing a Roberts/Miller style 3-5-2, I wouldn't want him pegged as a starter. He takes as much as he gives if he's playing all the time. He'll get caught in possession and lose us a goal, give away a penalty or get booked and become a liability. We experienced the same kind of diminishing returns with Marvyn Wilson toward the end of his spell with us.

Love's a more straightforward one. For a player without pace or stature to support his game he does very well. His decisions in possession are excellent. He holds the ball in strongly. He's got a bit of flair too. He's also the epitome of a team player which is more than enough for me. Solid on paper. Solid in practice. Might not start or last every game but he easily deserves his contract.

What Danny will need to measure with these two and whoever else he brings in is what kind of football he wants us playing. Love and Nicoll don't move it quite as quickly as Cuddihy does for example. So they could be inhibitive of the style that Lennon's tried for up until now. The really interesting thing for the summer will be what the players we sign suggest about the style we'll try to play.