the_bully_wee

Clyde FC; Season 2020-21

Calling all Clyde fans! You're in charge of bodying players out of the club and freeing up wages going into January. Esteemed head of recruitment, Graham Diamond, has told you that 3 players must go. Let me kick things off:

• Scott Rumsby - just not good enough. A solid player in League Two and a man who will be fondly remembered for his important contribution to our promotion. His two-year extension was awful business, based purely on sentiment rather than any logic.
  • Chris Johnston - 'Frodo' has shown in flashes the talent which had us all thinking he would be a marvellous signing for us. A complete lack of end product and rank inconsistency throughout his time here mean, though, that he will best be remembered as a Clyde fraud.
  • Lloyd Robertson - Danny Lennon took a leaf out of The Great Big Jim Duffy Released Youth Prospect Signing Tombola Handbook this summer with this desperate addition. A very beige young footballer who plays in our weakest areas, but can't get a start. That says it all.

Who would you unceremoniously release into the wilderness of League Two or non-league football come January, and why?

5 hours ago, WBR said:

Agree we absolutely need to aim to keep a clean sheet and be difficult to beat.  Once that starts happening the rest usually follows but we can’t keep doing to what we’re doing.  DG is as likely to score on the break than when we’re on top.

IIRC in Kernaghan's first full season we got off to a ropey start. He went back to basics, shut up shop, ground out results that built a bit of confidence and developed from there. In fact Danny did something similar when he first came in

I like DL's philosophy on the game so I know it goes against the grain, but needs must and in this league can make a big difference and quickly.  With the squad we have I'm sure it's well within their capability but now's the time to adapt. 

Mitchell had an absolute nightmare yesterday. He's been a great keeper for us so far and hopefully he gets back to his usual self for the next game.

Rumsby has been a bombscare all season and its all the more frustrating as it is the one area were we do have a couple of options. Either Howie or McNiff should be starting alongside Lang.

We've been conceding the same goals all season either from set pieces or at the edge of the box due to not closing down or clearing the ball quick enough. I don't think changing the formation is going to change that. Need to concentrate on it at training.

11 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Mitchell had an absolute nightmare yesterday. He's been a great keeper for us so far and hopefully he gets back to his usual self for the next game.

Rumsby has been a bombscare all season and its all the more frustrating as it is the one area were we do have a couple of options. Either Howie or McNiff should be starting alongside Lang.

We've been conceding the same goals all season either from set pieces or at the edge of the box due to not closing down or clearing the ball quick enough. I don't think changing the formation is going to change that. Need to concentrate on it at training.

Agreed, but hardly great choices due to fact Tom Lang has been utter torture for weeks too. Although I’m not sure I’m allowed to say that🤐

It's a formation used that beat Celtic and helped Scotland qualify for the first time in 20 years

But feel free to post your preferred starting XI and formation.  'Dunno' or 'loads of new signings' doesn't cut it

We can't really afford to be wasting money in diamond and that Corr geezer but it's ashame to see the board doesn't feel that way. If we don't shift the deadwood in the transfer window and bring in some serious upgrades we're back down to the basement league.

43 minutes ago, TamClyde said:

We can't really afford to be wasting money in diamond and that Corr geezer but it's ashame to see the board doesn't feel that way. If we don't shift the deadwood in the transfer window and bring in some serious upgrades we're back down to the basement league.

In theory that's fine, but there's the practical side of it.  First of all, who would we be looking to ship out, and of those who would be willing to rip up their contract especially in these times with Covid, unless they'd another club lined up ?  Secondly, if we did manage to free up wages, who would be available that would improve what we have, because presumably they'd be free transfers ?  Or is the idea that that Diamond & Corr would be able to secure better youth players from SPFL sides than they've done already ?  I really don't know much about those two and what they do, that's why I'm asking.

My suggestion on formation was based on what we know for a fact we have and I don't remember being tried.  It might not work either, but that's different from saying maybe we can ship out x, y & z, and maybe we can find replacements. Certainly with Diamond & Corr, if they're being paid a wage it'll be for a specific remit, and if they're not achieving that then it would be one way to free up wages.  But I don't know what their remit is.  Seems to be they have a background in youth football, but can only imagine that would be worthwhile if we're looking to build a long term youth set up which as far as I know isn't part of the plan.

In regards to GD i think a LOT of people are missing the hint here...

We obviously dont have a network of scouts and a DL has signed a lot of guff (Wallace.Smith.Johnston.Petkov.
Gorman.Ferns.Wylde.Allison to name just a few)

I would hazard a guess this is Dannys achilies heel which club perhaps aware and this is the reason we brought in GD who ive been informed from a friend within the football circle that he is a fantastic appointment-Not my words..

However time for Action not words come 1st Jan

Ymp

18 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

In regards to GD i think a LOT of people are missing the hint here...

We obviously dont have a network of scouts and a DL has signed a lot of guff (Wallace.Smith.Johnston.Petkov.
Gorman.Ferns.Wylde.Allison to name just a few)

I would hazard a guess this is Dannys achilies heel which club perhaps aware and this is the reason we brought in GD who ive been informed from a friend within the football circle that he is a fantastic appointment-Not my words..

However time for Action not words come 1st Jan

Ymp emoji1267.png

It's just classic football fan; we sign a lot of rubbish, people moan. We bring in a structure designed to potentially remedy that (and it will take a period of time to implement) and it's money we should be using to sign more rubbish players.

3 hours ago, David W said:

It's just classic football fan; we sign a lot of rubbish, people moan. We bring in a structure designed to potentially remedy that (and it will take a period of time to implement) and it's money we should be using to sign more rubbish players.

OK, so is their role to source quality young players over a longer period with a view to developing a youth structure, or are they an enhanced scouting network to source a better standard of player ready to step into the first team over whatever period of time ?  If it's the latter, will we have the budget to offer a better standard of player than we already have ?  I don't mind the longer term angle, but presumably the club themselves will also have to grow their income streams to match that ambition.

No point developing a youth structure.

It's expensive and any players showing exceptional quality in our youths will be scooped up by higher league teams for their footballing puppy farms.

We'd be better looking for the cast off from these academys.

That's why I thought Diamond was brought in.

I'm not impressed so far.

Should be a bye. You would imagine the probable lack of streaming will mean a lot of people missing a Scottish Cup game (or indeed, any match) for the first time in quite some years.

Another Highland League team away. How many times is that in recent years ffs ? Only actually went to one, at Nairn during Jim Duffy’s days. Didn’t end well !

We beat Keith with Smart Osadolor up front last time. If we can’t do it with Goodie and the rest of this team behind him we should just chuck the rest of this season. 

35 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

We beat Keith with Smart Osadolor up front last time. If we can’t do it with Goodie and the rest of this team behind him we should just chuck the rest of this season. 

Goodie played aswell, c**t got sent off for stamping on him and nearly started a riot between the dozen Clyde fans who made it and the 22 local farmers. 

50 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Problem is that anyone can score against us right now. I’d bet they will score at least 1 which puts pressure on us right away. Look at QP tonight. Dominated the game from start to finish and still conceded and needed extra time. We need to go out with the attitude that we need to score 2 or 3 to get anything cause we can’t defend. So we’re chasing the game as soon as it starts. Lennon needs to do what he did when he first came in and concentrate on the defence. Thankfully Forfar being so shit gives us a chance. He needs to use that chance otherwise our goal difference, points total and confidence will be fecked. 

I don’t know much about Keith but they haven’t been the near the best of the highland league sides that I remember. We should be going there even in poor form and winning. 

9 hours ago, KieranClyde said:

Goodie played aswell, c**t got sent off for stamping on him and nearly started a riot between the dozen Clyde fans who made it and the 22 local farmers. 

Yeh Goodie was playing, but the rest were Chapman's shitfest of a team. In fact I think Chaoman only lasted a couple of games after this tie.

Keith are possibly the worst team I have ever seen play Clyde in the Cup. Even if they have improved since last time, we should have more than enough to go through, with a couple to spare.