Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Strange signing but to even have him in the dressing room is a huge deal. 

Whether he'd fit in, maybe who knows. When we had McStay and Grant our midfield was fast and Nichol didn't suit that. Now our fast players seem to be further up the pitch with the front 3 made up out of Goodie, love, syvertsen and cunningham. To have Nichol anchoring the midfield in front of him, it might actually work. 

Ideally I'd loved to have had Rankin back but surely Lennon must've already reached out to him as by bringing Nichol in, he knew what he needed in that midfield. 

Singing as an amateur, Nichol loves the Clyde and we love him. Let's see how it goes. 

Just now, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

On that note, what the f**k is Diamond and Five Heid up to if a signing we desperately needed happened to be an ex player coming back signing on amateur terms obviously doing us a favour... Get rid of they 2 and get some money in the pot for wages. 

Who are Diamond and Five Heid?

18 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Who are Diamond and Five Heid?

Graham Diamond is our "head of recruitment". So far we've signed Jamie Bain, Lloyd Robertson, loanees who Lennon would've probably identified himself and players who've been here before 😂

edit - and Vajs but I'm sure I read somewhere that it's down to Fahey to recruit keepers. 

Edited by C. Muir

Listen, big Kev’s a cult hero and in his day, it was magnificent watching him absolutely body a Peterhead player into the dugout when we were on our way to a 4-1 home loss. However, as others have said, he was past it two years ago and he’ll be even more past it now, in League One.

He’s here on amateur terms so at least he won’t be taking a wage. Good for the dressing room, will help the young lads in training etc.

2 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

The love ins some of our support have with some players is worrying, signing people like him tell you all you need to know about this season. 

I agree. I personally only ever rated him during his first loan spell under Duffy. He was dreadful under Chapman (he's about the only player that should have suited him), played okay during Lennon's first six months and was then a passenger for big parts of the promotion season. A quick passing team with both him and Rumsby giving the ball away (under the pretence of crunching tackles and headed clearances) led to an inconsistent first half of the season which ultimately cost us a title. He was given an absolute chasing down at Annan in the play-off final. I'm not sure the difference when we started pairing up McStay and Grant in midfield could have been any more clear. 

Once again though, this is just another symptom of running up a ridiculous and embarrassing debt chasing promotion, which was compounded by the ludicrous decision to hand out 2-year contracts to unproven squad players like Rumsby, Cuddihy, Johnston and Wallace. Last season we got away with not signing a left-back by the skin of our teeth (amateurs like Liam Allison, Michael McMullin), this year we haven't been able to replace McStay/Grant and have been left once again signing completely pointless amateurs to make up the numbers. It's all a bit embarrassing at this level.

Kevin Nicoll is not a cult hero, ffs. He had 2 or 3 average to poor seasons with us. Does it now make you a cult hero cause you fly into challenges recklessly, picking up needless bookings and sending offs in the process?

Get a grip. It also says alot when your club captain is a benchwarmer throughout the majority of a promotion winning season.

A cult hero would be Paddy Keogh, Andy Smith, David Goodwillie, Brian Carrigan, Andy McClay. Nicoll isnae on the same level as them.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

46 minutes ago, David W said:

I agree. I personally only ever rated him during his first loan spell under Duffy. He was dreadful under Chapman (he's about the only player that should have suited him), played okay during Lennon's first six months and was then a passenger for big parts of the promotion season. A quick passing team with both him and Rumsby giving the ball away (under the pretence of crunching tackles and headed clearances) led to an inconsistent first half of the season which ultimately cost us a title. He was given an absolute chasing down at Annan in the play-off final. I'm not sure the difference when we started pairing up McStay and Grant in midfield could have been any more clear.

I couldn't believe he started that first leg down in Annan. Played right into their hands. Thankfully there was no daft team selection in the 2nd leg!

37 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Kevin Nicoll is not a cult hero, ffs. He had 2 or 3 average to poor seasons with us. Does it now make you a cult hero cause you fly into challenges recklessly, picking up needless bookings and sending offs in the process?

Get a grip. It also says alot when your club captain is a benchwarmer throughout the majority of a promotion winning season.

A cult hero would be Paddy Keogh, Andy Smith, David Goodwillie, Brian Carrigan, Andy McClay. Nicoll isnae on the same level as them.

A cult hero is someone who is admired by a relatively small audience despite limited success. Kevin Nicoll is most definitely a cult hero. I think he’s pretty shite personally, but he is revered by some parts of our support.

However, the likes of Goodwillie, Keogh etc. are most definitely heroes.