the_bully_wee

Clyde FC; Season 2020-21

Last season, we found it hard to create because we had to sacrifice a lot of attacking output from McStay in particular to protect a defence which was weak as piss, particularly in the full-back areas. That, plus the injury to Syvertsen meaning that our best form of support for Goodwillie until Cunningham arrived was the incredibly hot-and-cold (but mostly lukewarm) Lamont. Once the defence was tightened up (and could play a bit higher) with the arrivals of Livingstone and Lang, we saw McStay (and, to some extent, Grant too) being able to influence things a bit more in a progressive sense. 

The big problem we have now is that we've gone from having two central midfield players, who were very good at protecting our defence and allowing us to play progressively, to now relying on Cuddihy (nowhere near as good as either) alone doing that job. There are absolutely no alternatives to him, and he simply doesn't look up to it. Fingers crossed that Cammy Palmer is the player who's going to fix it, but christ knows what his injury situation is. It is a hell of a burden to be placing on a 20-year-old loanee.

If anyone casts a man of the match vote for this game they want their head checking. 

Couldn’t give a toss what happens in these cup games, ideally we’d have to forfeit them as 2 3-0s is better than what we’ll get playing the games. 

After the match Danny Lennon said:

We played three centre halfs to tighten up the defence.

The team is young and will be inconsistent.

Robertson had a good first half with Barry Cuddihy.

Bizarre comment given we were 3-0 down at half time. Must be something about Lennons being oblivious to how pish their team has been in the past few weeks. 

Edited by SLClyde

First half and the word "good" is a bizarre comment

Were in mega bother and players body language at 1nil going back to.position was more worrying than scoreline...

For anyone lucky enough not to watch it. 1nil looked like 5nil, heads were down & we looked beaten early doors....

Result confirmed my concern at time

Didn’t watch yesterday thankfully; unfortunately I was not surprised by result it’s plain and obvious we are in big trouble, this is not a side having a bad day at the office, injury issues or some of the reasons we look to in the hope we will bounce back.

The experiment or is it necessity to have a number of young loan players has not worked, these guys may well be talented but nowhere near ready. Not their fault. Even when we had Scott Banks, a player incidentally head and shoulders above these guys took around a dozen games to get up to speed with proper football. 
Just as worrying is that players such as Ally Love, Syvertson , Johnston are at best impact subs and these are our so called experienced players.

Take no pleasure in this but it’s obvious, to me at least that this is different.. we are in big bother, I’ve seen this before as I’ve been supporting this club for over 50 years. My worry is that I think we are where we are and I not convinced Lennon can do much about it given we have a signed squad and zero finance to change it. Even if 2 proper  centre mids would at least make us competitive.

Don't buy into this being a L2 squad at all.  We've a quality keeper.   Rumsby, Lang & Howie have all acquitted themselves well.  For me, the CB pairing should be any 2 from these three, or indeed if they decide on a "three", it's them.

The full backs don't appear to be a major problem, but there's options, Bain / Cuddihy, and Shiels / McNiff (possibly)

Up front, Goody, Cunnigham and Love have all proven themselves as goalscorers, whether this level or higher.  Norway in the past has shown to be best when playing wider, creating or coming inside from there.  Johnston seems to be getting thrown under a bus here, but he's the kind of player who can open up defences.  I don't expect him to offer much defensively, and maybe he is best used off the bench, but he can still make a difference.

The main difference is midfield.  Compared to last year, Grant is obviously a huge loss.  But McStay wasn't a regular, on his day terrific, but that's exactly why he wasn't a regular.  We didn't even have Rankin until around late February / early March by which time we'd started to turn things around anyway.  So the biggest difference is really one player, Grant.  Ideally, yes we somehow find some quality experience but that's maybe easier said than done.   We've loads of pace with these young lads that are in, but they do need someone to take the ball from defence and do Grant's role.  I'd try Lamont there, he's not exactly a novice now, let him sit deeper and let the others do the running - or at least try it.  They seem to think Palmer can do that also, so maybe when he's back from injury.  

There's no dressing up that's been anything other than 3 poor results, but losing 1 goal away (Dumbarton) shouldn't be a disaster, we should have the firepower where that's not an issue.  even 2 at home to Peterhead should still realistically result in a draw.  Yesterday is a dire scoreline, and maybe there is a bit of confidence shot, but one or two changes to key positions "could" make the difference, I really don't see the need to write the entire squad off when most have done well enough in the recent past.

42 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Compared to last year, Grant is obviously a huge loss.  But McStay wasn't a regular, on his day terrific, but that's exactly why he wasn't a regular. 

Grant had 38 appearances last year, McStay had 31. That's an awful lot of games for someone who "wasn't a regular".

Edited by Jaggy Snake

4 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Grant had 38 appearances last year, McStay had 31. That's an awful lot of games for someone who "wasn't a regular".

Yes, but how many of those did he start & finish ?  On his game no doubting he had real quality, but by comparison Grant was the mainstay.  I'm not doubting that ideally we could get a specific type of player in, but on the assumption that the squad we have now is all we can fund, it's an idea to look for a solution with what we have.  But it certainly disproves the theory that the entire squad is to be written off somehow.  Football's like that, one or two changes can make all the difference. 

1 hour ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Don't buy into this being a L2 squad at all... don't see the need to write the entire squad off when most have done well enough in the recent past.

Like the upbeat tone of your post BC. For me that's part of the frustration; we have real quality players in key positions, GK, CH and CF but we don't know how to build on this. If we gave gave options for Lang and support to DGW we play to our strengths standing back and admiring them is no use.

I think some of the support's high expectation was fed by players and management only a few weeks ago but Broadwood is in denial about some obvious gaps like LB and a ball winning MF player.

Not sure I agree with your analysis of turning the corner preceding Ranks return, rather than his return to the squad being pivotal to our corner turning.

We don't know Thistle and Cove but we should know P /Heid, Dumbarton and Airdrie but sadly they know us and our fallibility better then we know theirs.

Edited by Bully Wee Clyde FC

Anyone saying we have a league 2 squad is deluded. The majority of this squad competed well in league 1 last year and had a bright start this season. But after 3 poor games all of a sudden we have a league 2 squad? Turn it in.

I've got every confidence that Danny will turn it around. He's never let us down yet.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

We look a shadow of last seasons team..Its not even close..

Maybe just maybe. Palmer and Cunnigham to return may help..

Would even consider asking Rankin to come back to help young lads which i admit is clutching at straws however league survival is paramount & anything needs tried to fix this slide

We only won one match in nine against the three teams below us last season. We only won two matches away from home the whole campaign. We had a run of two wins in 14 league games at one point. We averaged less than a goal a game against the non-Stranraer sides. We Where is this idea that we weren't a poor side last season coming from?

We only won one match in nine against the three teams below us last season. We only won two matches away from home the whole campaign. We had a run of two wins in 14 league games at one point. We averaged less than a goal a game against the non-Stranraer sides. We Where is this idea that we weren't a poor side last season coming from?
Was going to the same. We were having the exact conversation at this point last season having just lost 5-2 to Raith and 3-1 at Airdrie.

We had a decent run in Sep and Oct last season and won 3 in a row before Covid other than that we were garbage last season too.

We really need to find a way to take points off teams that will likely be down the bottom with us. I can't see Falkirk being as generous this season.

2 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Yes, but how many of those did he start & finish ?  On his game no doubting he had real quality, but by comparison Grant was the mainstay.  I'm not doubting that ideally we could get a specific type of player in, but on the assumption that the squad we have now is all we can fund, it's an idea to look for a solution with what we have.  But it certainly disproves the theory that the entire squad is to be written off somehow.  Football's like that, one or two changes can make all the difference. 

McStay started 27 of his 31 games. I'm not going through individually to check how many times he was subbed off but he was undeniably a first team regular. I'm not picking fault with the rest of your argument particularly, just that statement.

I don't think most people are claiming our whole squad is League 2 standard (I know a couple of posts went that way), but I think it's fair comment to say our central midfield is simply not good enough.

18 hours ago, SLClyde said:

If anyone casts a man of the match vote for this game they want their head checking. 

Couldn’t give a toss what happens in these cup games, ideally we’d have to forfeit them as 2 3-0s is better than what we’ll get playing the games. 

Come on now, that's unfair... Your keeper made a few good saves. 

I am saying it is a league 2 squad with exception of Goodwillie, Lang and Mitchell. 

Want to be proven wrong though!

Edited by TheBigGuy

2 hours ago, David W said:

Finishing 7th comfortably in our first season in league 1 after 10 years in league 2 doesnt make us a poor side.

You've also missed out certain stats like beating Falkirk 3 times, beating Airdrie and drawing with Raith after being 2-0 down.

What are you expecting from a newly promoted side with the modest budget we have making the jump to a far superior league?

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse