the_bully_wee

Clyde FC; Season 2020-21

49 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

I can’t lie, it’s a bit painful seeing a team sheet without Ray Grant on it.

Seeing that team in general is a bit painful. Still a lot of improvement required.

10 hours ago, C. Muir said:

This was our team apparently

20200915_225952.thumb.jpg.2668af342086189bfbf7b45ca0c85688.jpg

3-5-2 by the looks of it.

I read this more as a 442, Jack is an attacking midfielder/striker and Henderson is a wide midfielder.

Wilson

Howie Rumsby McNiff Cuddihy

Henderson Jack Cunningham Shiels

Norway Goodwillie

Got to imagine this will is going to be the shape we'll start with, with a couple of hints from squad numbers:

1. Mitchell

2. Bain 5. Rumsby 4. McNiff 3. Shiels

10. Johnston 8. Lamont 6. Cuddihy 11. Love

7. Norway 9. Goodwillie

Theres a lot of room there for bringing Cunningham in as an attacking/wide midfielder too, and with the likes of Love and Jack being so versatile it gives us a decent base. I don't think at this point the team looks much worse than any other starting 11's in the league (barring Thistle and Falkirk)

2 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Got to imagine this will is going to be the shape we'll start with, with a couple of hints from squad numbers:

1. Mitchell

2. Bain 5. Rumsby 4. McNiff 3. Shiels

10. Johnston 8. Lamont 6. Cuddihy 11. Love

7. Norway 9. Goodwillie

Theres a lot of room there for bringing Cunningham in as an attacking/wide midfielder too, and with the likes of Love and Jack being so versatile it gives us a decent base. I don't think at this point the team looks much worse than any other starting 11's in the league (barring Thistle and Falkirk)

Nothing against the individuals but as a unit teams would just walk through that centre of midfield and defence. If it wasn't very obvious already then a centre mid and centre half are massive requirements.

Edited by C. Muir

13 hours ago, ScottR96 said:

5-0 FT. Goodwillie with at least 4, they never said who scored the 3rd. Hope Hammyton enjoyed. 

Did the keeper have .much to do????

Regarding 3-5-2, Lennon had already said he doesn't like this formation as it is versatile enough to change during games. 

Was reading about Marcelo Bielsa last night and his 3-3-3-1 tactics, that sounds magic but I'd imagine that would only work with players of full time fitness. 

Am I the only one that thinks we actually have a decent squad for the season ahead? I take it cuddihy will be in the cm role that grant had and tbh it could be the right role for him. Grant wasn’t always great at tracking back , something I’d say cuddihy will be better at. Every team would want to strengthen but I’d be confident of a top half finish in the league with who we have

Sorry to be a pessimist, and of course I hope that this isn’t the case, but until we sign, at the very least, another CB, another good CM and another CF (I’m not including Love or Cunninghman there) I would be delighted to see us just staying up. Even then, Shiels at LB isn’t filling me with confidence. 

There is no game in this league that I can see being easy. Fingers crossed we can pull out the stops.

Big Norway looking good so far this season. Reckon if he can remain injury free he'll be a massive part of our season. Seems to link up well with Goodie. 

Goodie up top with big Norway in a free role behind him could be a nightmare for defences in this division. 

Why are some of us on here throwing in the towel for the season ahead based on the starting eleven for a friendly against Cumbernauld United?

Our starting line up in an early pre-season friendly against a junior/WoSL (not completely sure what they are currently) team certainly isnt the benchmark for what's to come.

There is still plenty of time for further signings, strongest eleven to be decided etc etc. Calm doon.

14 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Why are some of us on here throwing in the towel for the season ahead based on the starting eleven for a friendly against Cumbernauld United?

Our starting line up in an early pre-season friendly against a junior/WoSL (not completely sure what they are currently) team certainly isnt the benchmark for what's to come.

There is still plenty of time for further signings, strongest eleven to be decided etc etc. Calm doon.

Same shite every season mate

Danny will have his teams selected that allow for each individual to play X amount of minutes to get their match sharpness and fitness up.  The team that started our friendly on Saturday will be different to last nights, and then our starting team will differ in our next friendly and so on to accommodate everyone getting the X amount of minutes they need . Only come our final friendly will we likely see a full strength team out from the start. So I have no idea why folk are getting their knickers in a twist about our starting 11 last night and worrying about it for the season ahead. 

no doubt will see another couple of signings soon, hopefully in the midfield! And if we do I’ll be very content with our squad. 

2 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Same shite every season mate

Will there be a January window this season?? If not better make sure we got a. Good excess of staff now

Whilst I'm not panicking yet, if we don't sign at least one good central midfielder in the next couple of weeks, I will become very concerned.

We've lost 3 central midfielders who would all start when fit in McStay, Grant and Rankin (I accept Rankin took on more of a floating/free role), and we haven't signed any replacements for them. Lamont is a more attacking player and, by the sounds of it, Henderson is as well. 

Cuddihy seems likely to move into midfield, but I just don't think he's good enough. He's an ideal player to have on the bench, as he has pace and can cover a number of positions, but he's never going to control a midfield.

Our league season starts one month today, and the cup before then, so if we don't announce someone soon I will be joining those in expecting a pretty poor season ahead.

(That's not to mention we'd ideally sign a better centre back too).

Knickers are quite rightly being twisted when our defensive signings have consisted of a left-back who was jobby on loan at Dumbarton last season and a utility-man right-back who wasn't in Forfar's strongest team towards the end of last season. We are looking pretty good going forward, but our central midfield options currently consist of a young lad with absolutely no track record of first team football + Cuddihy (a good squad player at this level, but sadly nothing more). Any team lacking in quality in the middle of the park and at the back, as we are, will struggle, regardless of how good they are up top. There is, of course, still time to get more bodies in, but it's pretty well-known that we've no money and as a result we will have to be very lucky to get players of quality through the door in those key areas. We are still paying for dishing out those two-year deals after promotion to players who aren't good enough to match DL's ambitions.