Jump to content
the_bully_wee

Clyde FC; Season 2020-21

Recommended Posts

Assuming it’s just Grant, McStay and Syversten left from last seasons squad who haven’t been released or signed new deals yet. If all 3 sign up then that’s 13 players signed for next season. Ideally what positions would you be hoping we could improve on? Still waiting for a striker to help Goody out as well as a proper left back, Wouldn’t mind seeing Livingstone coming back. A proper centre half to cover the gap left by Lang would be much needed as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy with Lamont & Love 👏🏼 would love to have Grant signed up best player last season other than Goody but I think if rumours are true about QP could be hard to turn down full time football and a chance to play along side his brother (best friends)

Would rather have Norway and McStay signed then not but I’m not that fussed about them personally, McStay so inconsistent more bad games then good for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The left back Eckersley released by airdrie would be a great signing, unless he’s been snapped up elsewhere already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bridgeton Clyde Boy said:

Happy with Lamont & Love 👏🏼 would love to have Grant signed up best player last season other than Goody but I think if rumours are true about QP could be hard to turn down full time football and a chance to play along side his brother (best friends)

Would rather have Norway and McStay signed then not but I’m not that fussed about them personally, McStay so inconsistent more bad games then good for me.

I’m a bit behind with this rumour, whereabouts was it mentioned that Grant was linked with QP ?

Cant say I know too much about him other than him being Peter Grant’s brother. Seems like he’s highly rated so here’s hoping he joins 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We really need a proper left back.

I think we need better than McStay.

I think we need better than Syvertsen.


Hopefully, given squad trimming in the leagues above us, all these are possible and affordable.

Also, as an aside, I wouldn't have re-signed Lamont.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree we need a left back, and really a rightback too as Cuddihy doesn't cut it at this level.

Ideally I'd like a centreback, but they need to be high quality given we've already got three, so that's probably a lower priority.

After that, pace and creativity ideally in the form of a winger or two. We've needed loans of Banks and Cunningham in the past two seasons to provide that, so it would be nice to have it from the outset for a change.

I'd be delighted (and slightly surprised) if we can keep McStay and Grant. If we don't, I wouldn't expect any replacements to be better than them.

We need a back up striker, whether Syvertsen stays or not, but that's easier said than done with Goodwillie always playing when fit.

Still plenty of time though. We haven't actually signed anyone who wasn't already at the club, so it will be nice to see if Graham Diamond can make a difference.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bridgeton Clyde Boy said:

Happy with Lamont & Love 👏🏼 would love to have Grant signed up best player last season other than Goody but I think if rumours are true about QP could be hard to turn down full time football and a chance to play along side his brother (best friends)

Would rather have Norway and McStay signed then not but I’m not that fussed about them personally, McStay so inconsistent more bad games then good for me.

Are QP full time? I thought when they turned pro they remained part time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

We really need a proper left back.

I think we need better than McStay.

I think we need better than Syvertsen.


Hopefully, given squad trimming in the leagues above us, all these are possible and affordable.

Also, as an aside, I wouldn't have re-signed Lamont.
 

I'm probably one of very few who agree with you on that point. Causes more problems for us than he does for other teams imo. His final ball is very poor as well. He's easily shrugged off the ball too. If hes up against anyone with the slightest bit of dig hes lost the battle early doors. I actually think hes more effective out wide.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The left back Eckersley released by airdrie would be a great signing, unless he’s been snapped up elsewhere already.
Eckersley still without a club. Kurtis Roberts the other released Airdrie player, mentioned above, has signed for Stirling.
Are QP full time? I thought when they turned pro they remained part time.
They are going full time for this season coming up. Nicky Jamieson had a very good season for them but was surprisingly released. Plays centre half and might be worth a look.

It was an article in one of the papers liking Grant with QP. Hopefully it's a load of rubbish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

It was an article in one of the papers liking Grant with QP. Hopefully it's a load of rubbish.

Fingers crossed. He would be a major loss in the middle of the park for us if he does go. 

I fear Queens Park could get a right good squad assembled this season or next and cause us even more grief than normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Syvertson it depends what stage he's at after a year out.  If he's still the level he was finishing 18/19 season and appeared to have stepped up again pre season, would definitely have him on board.  Banks & Syvertson caused a lot of problems switching wings, defenders aren't used to these kind of players these days and I think the idea was Johnson was to fill Banks' role.   We never really replaced Syvertson all season and it threw a few plans out the window.

Playing two players like that also means Goodie can play a loan role as it brings the whole midfield up closer to him.   I'm not sure he's injury prone, he took a bad one in pre-season and previously was concussion, it's not like it's an ankle or hamstring.    But dare say DL will have to judge that when he's had a look at him.

Agree we need a left back, midfield will depend on who we've re-signed but will need one or two different options there. Howie & Rumsby were developing a good partnership until Howie got injured in December, so I wouldn't write that off.  But like most clubs, will just have to see what the financial position is after all this and who's available.  

As for Queen's Park, not so much I fear them as fear for them.  Short term I see how the arithmetic adds up, but longer term with 500 fans and a ground that'll hold around 2k, no chance without continued external funding and that's when your future's out your own hands.  If maybe they sold Hampden and written in a clause they still get a small % of annual income for a few decades, possibly.  I just can't see what the long term full time game plan here is.        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Fingers crossed. He would be a major loss in the middle of the park for us if he does go. 

I fear Queens Park could get a right good squad assembled this season or next and cause us even more grief than normal.

Might get decent squad, but just remember who the manager is.. I rest my case!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Howie & Rumsby were developing a good partnership until Howie got injured in December, so I wouldn't write that off.

Were they? I thought we were shaky with that pairing more often than not, although admittedly not helped by having McNiff at left back.

The difference was there to see when Lang returned.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Were they? I thought we were shaky with that pairing more often than not, although admittedly not helped by having McNiff at left back.

The difference was there to see when Lang returned.

 

Early part of the season I'd agree but they developed well by around December when Howie got injured.  At that stage we desperately needed Lang in as there was no cover, and left back only got solved when the lad from Motherwell came in

Lang's class but he's not there now, so all I'm meaning is I think Howie & Rumsby are still potentially an option while also needing the full back position addressed.  Course if we have the resources to first of all find then pay for another very strong CB option fine, but assuming we don't, I wouldn't write off that partnership.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howie, Rumsby McNiff and Cuddihy cannot and must not be our first choice back four again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Howie, Rumsby McNiff and Cuddihy cannot and must not be our first choice back four again.

Rumsby was shown up as a League 2 centre half last season. He defends his own wee zone well (though not against Doris) but he can't defend behind his full back which means we need to play square at this level. He also loses possession too often with a punt/header clear when a better centre half would bring the ball down. 

With Lang and McNiff we were able to push high up the pitch and have our full backs contributing in attack. That in turn got better performances out of Lamont and McStay as we could play the style that suits them.

He, like Johnston, would be away if we hadn't given him a ridiculous two year contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David W said:

Rumsby was shown up as a League 2 centre half last season. He defends his own wee zone well (though not against Doris) but he can't defend behind his full back which means we need to play square at this level. He also loses possession too often with a punt/header clear when a better centre half would bring the ball down. 

With Lang and McNiff we were able to push high up the pitch and have our full backs contributing in attack. That in turn got better performances out of Lamont and McStay as we could play the style that suits them.

He, like Johnston, would be away if we hadn't given him a ridiculous two year contract.

Thought Mcniff did well alongside Tom Lang.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David W said:

Rumsby was shown up as a League 2 centre half last season. He defends his own wee zone well (though not against Doris) but he can't defend behind his full back which means we need to play square at this level. He also loses possession too often with a punt/header clear when a better centre half would bring the ball down. 

With Lang and McNiff we were able to push high up the pitch and have our full backs contributing in attack. That in turn got better performances out of Lamont and McStay as we could play the style that suits them.

He, like Johnston, would be away if we hadn't given him a ridiculous two year contract.

I thought Rumsby was fine last season and Howie was improving with every game. If we are talking about players giving away possession McNiff is far more guilty of this than Rumsby. I'm glad  Johnston has another year, he is an exciting player with loads of ability, sure he was inconsistent last season,but I believe we have not seen the best of him yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

I thought Rumsby was fine last season and Howie was improving with every game. If we are talking about players giving away possession McNiff is far more guilty of this than Rumsby. I'm glad  Johnston has another year, he is an exciting player with loads of ability, sure he was inconsistent last season,but I believe we have not seen the best of him yet.

Agree on Howie. Nothing against Rumsby as he played his part in last seasons success but as David says he's a L2 centre half. If we want to progress we need better at centre half at this level. If financially possible of course. 

Edited by C. Muir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...