Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

After years of waiting and hoping to see Clyde do something, ANYTHING, to show they had genuine ambition to get even close to the Clyde of old I basically jacked in going along about 6 years ago and have seen them probably only 4 times or so since.

While it is possible (albeit unlikely) that they have some pleasing signing coups to reveal to us in due course I rather suspect it will be as others here are anticipating i.e. makeweights, rejects and disinterested or inexperienced loanees.

Is it always out of the question that some wealthy benefactor might want to take a punt on a famous old football club that still does have the potential to shine with the right backing and business acumen?

12 hours ago, Clydeside said:

McKee, Paton and Hopkirk would start for us. No danger.

I would start Gomis over Paton any day of the week and Hopkirk doesn't start before Cunningham or Goodwillie. I'd take McKee and he'd start and I'd take Geggan for experience in the squad. I don't think Dumbarton signing a few players in one day is cause to panic, it's Clyde that make me panic.

So if worst comes to absolute worst and we start this Broadwood Cup with the current squad, the starting lineup would need to be something like:

Mitchell;

Cassidy; Docherty; Rumsby; Livingstone

Gomis; Cuddihy; Nicoll

Cunningham; Goodwillie; Love

With two keepers and Harry Robinson on the bench. We need at least another 7 players.

16 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I would start Gomis over Paton any day of the week and Hopkirk doesn't start before Cunningham or Goodwillie. I'd take McKee and he'd start and I'd take Geggan for experience in the squad.

I agree with all of that. But to say the obvious, Gomis is one central midfielder and we'll play with at least two, hence the Paton would start comment. Same applies to Hopkirk, he goes on whatever side Cunningham isn't on or in the spot beside Goodie.

25 minutes ago, Clydeside said:

I agree with all of that. But to say the obvious, Gomis is one central midfielder and we'll play with at least two, hence the Paton would start comment. Same applies to Hopkirk, he goes on whatever side Cunningham isn't on or in the spot beside Goodie.

So, you would start Paton AND Gomis in centre midfield? Even as a sitting pair in a three thats not going to work. If we had signed Paton and McKee as well as Gomis, McKee and Gomis start every time with Cuddihy in if we play a three. Paton sits on the bench every week and steals a (probably quite high) wage. Paul Paton is a decent player and if we had the luxury I'd love to have him as an experienced squad player but at the moment, with barely a starting 11, we don't have the luxury of having two experienced older, slower centre mids AFTER resigning Nicoll.

Regarding Hopkirk, as far as I'm aware he played as a striker or a slightly more withdrawn centre forward for quite a while, if you're sticking him out wide that's another waste. I agree that he could maybe play with Goodwillie but I also don't think he would compliment him well. Also it goes without saying that Danny Lennon has had dealings with Hopkirk at Clyde before and probably wouldn't want to go near him so the point is moot.

I kind of almost nearly get where you're coming from but if we swap our signings for Dumbarton's (other than McKee, would have loved him) then I think I'm equally as underwhelmed.

Find it a bit mad you can make these judgements on every signing. I genuinely have no idea what sort of players we're getting from our new signings other than McKee and Paton. They might end up being largely rubbish but I'm not sure how a Dumbarton or Clyde fan can make that judgement right now. Erskine, Stokes, MacLean and Lynch can't have been watched by many of you, if at all. 

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I would start Gomis over Paton any day of the week and Hopkirk doesn't start before Cunningham or Goodwillie. I'd take McKee and he'd start and I'd take Geggan for experience in the squad. I don't think Dumbarton signing a few players in one day is cause to panic, it's Clyde that make me panic.

So if worst comes to absolute worst and we start this Broadwood Cup with the current squad, the starting lineup would need to be something like:

Mitchell;

Cassidy; Docherty; Rumsby; Livingstone

Gomis; Cuddihy; Nicoll

Cunningham; Goodwillie; Love

With two keepers and Harry Robinson on the bench. We need at least another 7 players.

I realise that’s a long way from the likely team that we’ll field for the opening league game but that back four has just made me start staring into the middle distance.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Find it a bit mad you can make these judgements on every signing. I genuinely have no idea what sort of players we're getting from our new signings other than McKee and Paton. They might end up being largely rubbish but I'm not sure how a Dumbarton or Clyde fan can make that judgement right now. Erskine, Stokes, MacLean and Lynch can't have been watched by many of you, if at all. 

I think the panic seems to stem from the sheer volume of signings you've made. Clyde are shopping in the same market so it looks like you've signed about 10 players that could have signed for us, whereas we haven't made too many moves - so it looks like we're bottom feeding, which may well be the case but I sincerely hope Danny has a few more in the can.

2 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I think the panic seems to stem from the sheer volume of signings you've made. Clyde are shopping in the same market so it looks like you've signed about 10 players that could have signed for us, whereas we haven't made too many moves - so it looks like we're bottom feeding, which may well be the case but I sincerely hope Danny has a few more in the can.

It's probably more likely that Lennon and Faz have very different ideas about how to play football and thus are signing different targets. Faz has gone big on winning experience but Lennon seems to like younger guys dropping out of full time. Obviously being in the same league there will be some players we're both in for but I've not seen any suggestion that was the case so far. Loans are still to come available too, which is where clubs in this league can sign game changers. Too early for judgement or panic yet, preseason training hasn't even started.

18 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's probably more likely that Lennon and Faz have very different ideas about how to play football and thus are signing different targets. Faz has gone big on winning experience but Lennon seems to like younger guys dropping out of full time. Obviously being in the same league there will be some players we're both in for but I've not seen any suggestion that was the case so far. Loans are still to come available too, which is where clubs in this league can sign game changers. Too early for judgement or panic yet, preseason training hasn't even started.

Yes but what you're asking here is for Scottish lower league football fans to be reasonable and show patience and restraint, and let me tell you now, we will absolutely refuse.

4 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

So, you would start Paton AND Gomis in centre midfield? Even as a sitting pair in a three thats not going to work. If we had signed Paton and McKee as well as Gomis, McKee and Gomis start every time with Cuddihy in if we play a three. Paton sits on the bench every week and steals a (probably quite high) wage. Paul Paton is a decent player and if we had the luxury I'd love to have him as an experienced squad player but at the moment, with barely a starting 11, we don't have the luxury of having two experienced older, slower centre mids AFTER resigning Nicoll.

Regarding Hopkirk, as far as I'm aware he played as a striker or a slightly more withdrawn centre forward for quite a while, if you're sticking him out wide that's another waste. I agree that he could maybe play with Goodwillie but I also don't think he would compliment him well. Also it goes without saying that Danny Lennon has had dealings with Hopkirk at Clyde before and probably wouldn't want to go near him so the point is moot

I kind of almost nearly get where you're coming from but if we swap our signings for Dumbarton's (other than McKee, would have loved him) then I think I'm equally as underwhelmed.

As long as we're clear that I'm being a keyboard manager and that Paul Paton, Joe McKee, David Hopkirk and Andy Geggan aren't rubbish then I'll indulge you...! 😉

I'm perfectly serious when I say that I would be delighted if we managed to squeeze both Paton and Gomis into the same midfield. They have as many differences as they do similarites. Paton is right footed and Gomis is left footed. Paton could be relied on to provide good deliveries. Gomis gets about the park better and can carry the ball over a distance even at his age. I could go on. You're right that I'd want them in a three, being older in years and not the tallest pair. It would be important to have some some guile round about them certainly. Faster, more forward mobile players.

And I wouldn't characterise Gomis as a strict sitting midfielder. Not in the way Ray Grant was. It's true that you'll find Gomis behind the play a lot. And it's true that you'll find him in and around the centre circle a lot. But even as recently as last season he was often joining Falkirk's attacks, running ahead of the play and into the box. There are no end of highlights on YouTube that'll bear that out. He is more about defending than attacking of course. His strengths lend him to that. But to finish the point, he and Paton would not be the double negative I think you're suggesting. Gomis has never been a more prominent player than when he's been part of a three either (Dundee United). In his second spell there he played with Paton as a pair and sometimes with Rankin too.

Your point about Nicoll is taken but I have it on decent authority that we're not emptying our pockets to keep him on so I wouldn't place too much emphasis on him being here or being in contention to start every week.

No argument on where Hopkirk plays or that he didn't do the business for us. But I've seen him before and since at Stenny and he's a right good player. I'm not sure we should be chuffed about having Cunningham or Robinson ahead of him given Hopkirk's track record. Robinson we've never seen and Cunningham has had a handful of games to recommend him a new contract. I think we could have a player, don't mistake me. But I'm tapping into the point Moonster made about Dumbarton blending youth with a good spread of experience. I'd rather be in their shoes than ours. But there's time to revisit that opinion still!

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

To be clear, I judge from recent experience that McKee, Geggan, Paton and Hopkirk aren't rubbish. The rest I've never seen.

You're obviously right insofar as I don't know how it can be said about Dumbarton's signings that they're largely rubbish. There are four who aren't. The other four might be. Largely doesn't mean half. I think we all follow.

28 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Very sad news this afternoon on Davie Paterson, a man I have known for more than 40 years since travelling on the Dalmarnock bus etc. Good lad and a loss to the club.

Very much so. It wasn’t a Clyde game without seeing Davie watching the game. I’d only had a few brief interactions with him but my brother knew him quite well. I found him a welcoming and warm guy who absolutely loved and lived Clyde. Hopefully the likes of Davie, Craig, and all of the others we’ve sadly lost during the pandemic get an appropriate send off once we’re back.

Rest in Peace, Davie.

Another good Clyde man lost during this pandemic. A real shame he didn’t get to see the team one last time. One of the most passionate Clyde fans there’s ever been, a big loss to the club. Can’t remember a game I’ve been at where I didn’t see him there.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

Dylan Easton was lying when he said we were the biggest/best part-time team, wasn't he?

At least they've not had the cheek to ask us for money for season tickets and the like. 

I reckon pre season training will be back next weekend at the latest so they'll need to get moving.

Edited by David W