Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

2 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

Left footer who tends to play on the right it seems, so might be the case that Danny is looking to persist with playing Cunningham from the left side. Hope this lad isn't a ringer, while he's been at some alright clubs it seems he's just followed his old man around.

I hate wingers who play on their own side. Guys who can cut inside, link up with the strikers and leave space for full-backs is the way to go. Particularly with Goodwillie up front. Ally Love has also had his best spells for Clyde when not playing on the left.

It's good to sign someone with pace (apparently). Adam Livingstone had a couple of poor loan spells and turned out okay. You would hope this is one of the players who has came from the scouting team's recommendations.

Going by his Wikipedia page he has barely kicked a ball at senior level but capped all the way up to under 21 by Northern Ireland. Grant and McStay both had a similar background when they joined and they worked out OK hopefully same for Robinson.

Never heard of this lad but when you think about it he's not unlike Galt who we were speculating about. A wide player that comes inside onto his other foot. Hopefully what he lacks in experience he can make up for by being as direct and creative as Danny has made out.

Someone mentioned a system where you'd have Cunningham on the left and this lad on the right. 'Inverted wingers' as I've heard them called in television land. I think that could work quite well if Robinson brings the same nippiness and persistence of threat that Cunningham has (e.g. against East Fife in our last game). And we could always have them swap over if teams set-up to stop them as inevitably they will if they're effective.

Perhaps a positive that we've overlooked about Robinson is that he's a decent height. Sometimes having someone out on one side who'll get you the odd flick-on or knock-down gets you and extra few over the piece. He's an improvement on our current players in that sense.

The most optimistic spin I can dream up is that with Livingstone behind Cunningham and Cuddihy behind Robinson, if nothing else, it looks like we could have decent athleticism down both sides. That'd be an improvement certainly.

Edited by Clydeside

Does anyone know what the deal is with Kai McCormack? That's almost two and a bit seasons he's been in and around the first team squad without an appearance. As far as I can see he hasn't been out to the juniors on loan either. I get that he's still really young but I just find it a wee bit bizarre, especially with him being included in the first team profiles etc.

4 hours ago, Ignoramus said:

Is is too premature for me to start looking at the PFA Scotland availability page? I don't want to come across all panicky but we have one centre-back signed and that person is Scott Rumsby.

Willie Low is available on a free transfer and is a centre back. If all else fails we can sign him. 

Yes. Looking like it’s going to be another long season. People will say “Ah but it’s early days” but I’m struggling to think of many decent players available to sign at the moment. Seeing Dumbarton strengthening whilst we’re floundering is very concerning.

For the record, I’m not entirely blaming Danny for this. It’s clear our budget is at the arse end of the league again (despite the modest increase).

10 minutes ago, Clyde85 said:

We’ve had Hopkirk before didnt go so well.

True, true. As others have written, we could still sign a load of good players, making all of Dumbarton's business seem irrelevant or, god willing, make it look like they've acted hastily while we've bided our time for better players.

On the face of it, we look an absolute shambles. Re-signing players who aren't good enough, losing a couple who were, some frankly ridiculous statements from the manager. The whole club just seems to be directionless again. There's absolutely no indication that we will compete with East Fife and Montrose, never mind the five bigger hitters. Why would players want to sign for that?

The worry for me is the not the players Dumbarton are signing; they are by and large rubbish. However, I dread to think what dregs we are being left with.