Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

2 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

I see Morgyn Neill has signed for Cove and I’m genuinely quite thankful for that.

I reckon we're refusing to sign any centre halves so we end up fully appreciating Rumsby and the glorious clean sheet we got against Forfar.

It's a problem position generally and it's looking like being a massive issue for us. The chances of finding 3 League 1 standard centre halves who all want to play for low wages, for a team who are clearly going to be in the bottom half, are exceptionally low.

Never mind the right back, multiple midfielders and attackers we still need to find.

Ourselves and Dumbarton are shopping in a pretty similar market, you'd say, and they look to be doing better business at the moment (despite having a manager who's been in the door five minutes). A lot of work to be done if we're to end up with a squad capable of troubling mid-table.

Ourselves and Dumbarton are shopping in a pretty similar market, you'd say, and they look to be doing better business at the moment (despite having a manager who's been in the door five minutes). A lot of work to be done if we're to end up with a squad capable of troubling mid-table.
I think they have pretty much signed equivalent players to us at the moment. They signed two players past their best in Geggan and Boyle and we've done the same with Gomis and Docherty.

Hopefully we have some more signing news soon. We've only signed one this week in Livingstone and have a lengthy shopping list to get through.

6 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Styring emne perforere burberry hooligans uld Jeg spiser morgenmad bungee  jumpThere should be about 20 guys wandering around looking like this. Just follow them to their bus. 😄

Should that not be, " Follow us to our bus."? Certainly a resemblance to consider. I'm surprised that you would denigrate a group based on a particular hairstyle.

I personally don’t know any of the Glasgow branch, but I’d like to thank them for the atmosphere they have created both home and away, one of the best in the lower divisions. If you asked the players , I think they would agree, and have noticeably reacted to it many times. Keep up the good work.

I'll give it a week or two before joining in the pessimism but I can see why it's in the air. There's a lot of competition for players who're known quantities and we've probably lost a few signing races already.

If we're signing players that the likes of Cove have been content to let go and being beaten by them to the signature of pedigreed league one players that could mark us out as a bottom-half side if it becomes the story of the summer. Livingstone's an inexperienced player who didn't do too well at Cove. It's worth remebering that he could still go the way of Gavin Brown when we get him back on part-time legs. Morgyn Neill on the other hand is a player with his best years ahead of him and who has a pedigree at this level. Reading into his move to Cove, it's to Hartley's credit that he put the feelers out as early as he did and underlined that he wanted Neill onboard even if they made it into the Championship. The length of contract Cove have given him reflects their financial strength and ambition.

A more optimistic perspective from me would be that finding centre backs who can cut it at this level isn't the perennial problem that some have suggested. We've had plenty players in that position who've been reliable or better in the last decade. Sure, they're thrown into contrast by the likes of McNiff, Rumsby, Henderson and others. But Lang, Cogill, McQueen, Gallagher, Halkett, Marsh, McMillan and others I could name have been good. Even our poorer managers have found them, Chapman perhaps being the exception. It'll only be a problem finding them if we don't look hard enough.

I might take a punt on Galt as a squaddie but he won't have the legs we remember him having and we've already got Love, Docherty and Livingstone for that side. He does have some flair about him. That could backfill what we've lost in Syvertsen. And if he could fire in a few like the screamer he scored against us under Barry, more power to him.

Iain Davidson who has left Raith. Although getting on in years, for the heart of our defence I'd happily take the chance. Experience is something we've badly missed back there.

Edited by Clydeside

Hoping we’ve made some moves and just not announced them yet but becoming increasingly concerned as other teams announce signings and the silence from us is deafening.

I do appreciate the management team need a break too but this doesn’t seem the right time if it leaves us scraping the barrel of unsigned pish a week before the league cup starts.

That’s what Duffy did last season for Dumbarton and they toiled all season as a result.

2 hours ago, Clydeside said:

I might take a punt on Galt as a squaddie but he won't have the legs we remember him having and we've already got Love, Docherty and Livingstone for that side.

David Galt is a fantastic player, we’d be lucky to get him to be honest. He’s also only 30, so it’s not like his legs will have gone.

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

David Galt is a fantastic player, we’d be lucky to get him to be honest. He’s also only 30, so it’s not like his legs will have gone.

If he's still sprightly we'd be getting an unusually good player insofar as he can play with both feet and play right across midfield. If you look at his stats for the 17/18 season with QP in league one you'll see they were excellent: 3 goals and 17 assists in all competitions. But he's never bettered those numbers. Arguably that's because he's played a lot less since.

I just think there are more Galts out there than there are Davidsons. We're not long after shedding Lamont, Johnston and McGlinchey. Two of those lads have posted similar numbers to Galt in recent years. And McGlinchey might fancy he could do the same in a decent team. Our squad's already carrying a lot of paceless bit part players. I wouldn't be prioritising the likes of a Galt for that reason. Having said that, if we've got the budget and we could get a solid spine first, maybe we could get a late flourish out of him.

Edited by Clydeside